Thread: Redoing a Rod

Redoing a Rod

was thinking of re doing a rod i built a few years a go and was wanting some feed back, is it a big pain to get the handle and reel seat off will be redoing eyes as well. did some youtube seaching

2. Member
    I've done this many times with rods I've built and fixing up store bought old rods, but still like the blank. I wouldn't say it's hard, but it's pretty hard to do it cleanly to avoid sanding and painting the blank. Typically when I do a refurb, I tear it down to the blank, sand, paint and rebuild. Reels seats come off pretty easy with the aid of a heat gun. It will be like new if you decide to rebuild.

3. Member
    Depends on how well you put the reel seat on...I don't paint the blanks on rods I've redone but I have sanded the whole blank to a matte finish before if the area where the guides came off was discolored.

4. Member
    whats the best way to remove glue from handle and reel seat

5. Member
    Heat gun, you do have to be careful though. If it's an exposed blank seat avoid the bottom where the blank shows with the heat.

6. Member
    what would i use to clean the blank, acid tone?

7. Member
    You should be able to get the glue off with a heat gun and an old credit card as a scraper. Once you're satisfied with the clean up then wipe it down with denatured alcohol and build away.

8. Member
    Well I think I have enough info to get started I will get my replacement parts ordered and be ready for winter

9. Member
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man