1996 Mercury 200 EFI Issue

I have a 1996 Merc 200 EFI and shes a finicky girl. So this is whats going on.

When (not all the time) I start the motor in the morning, or sometimes after I've fished a spot for a while the motor acts like its not on all cylinders. This goes on for a few minutes then you can hear a change in the engine tone and it will then get on plane and run fine.

A few times it has got on plane fine, but then all of a sudden it comes off pad and the motor will be acting like its barely running (wont die unless I put into gear) Then again the engine tone changes back to the normal sound and it get right back up on plane.

When the motor is making this noise sometimes I can put it into gear and move forward but will not let me get up on plane until you hear the engine tone change.

I don't know whats going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerMerc1016 View Post
    I have a 1996 Merc 200 EFI and shes a finicky girl. So this is whats going on.

When (not all the time) I start the motor in the morning, or sometimes after I've fished a spot for a while the motor acts like its not on all cylinders. This goes on for a few minutes then you can hear a change in the engine tone and it will then get on plane and run fine.

A few times it has got on plane fine, but then all of a sudden it comes off pad and the motor will be acting like its barely running (wont die unless I put into gear) Then again the engine tone changes back to the normal sound and it get right back up on plane.

When the motor is making this noise sometimes I can put it into gear and move forward but will not let me get up on plane until you hear the engine tone change.

I don't know whats going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I'm no expert at all, but seems to me that you may have a spark plug problem. Make sure the boot that connects to them is on securely, and also probably worth taking them out and checking if they're fouled up. By the constant changing it may be a fuel related problem too but hard to say for certain.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

3. Member
    many variables , ecu , switch box, stator etc check spark when engine cold ,check out v6 section one down for more info on yo mtr
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................