Tatula SV vs. Zillion SV vs. Steez SV?

I’ve been all Shimano for a long time but I want to branch into the Daiwa market. I want the best casting reel on the market for learning how to skip jigs. Everyone seems to agree the Daiwa Tatula SV TWS is awesome. Is there any advantage to moving up to the more expensive models? I have the budget to buy whatever is the absolute best. Functionality and ease of learning is all I’m concerned with. Thanks everyone!

2. Member
    i have a few of the tatula sv and steez sv reels.

for the money the tatula sv is a fine reel, add a zpi spool and it's even better - outcasts my metanium mgl and typically these are known to be a more controlled reel

what do i see in between my tat and steez sv.

the steez is going to be lighter, it's smaller, and mainly just feels more refined

but one is under $200 while the other is closer to $500

I put my tatula on longer or more powerful rods and the steez on lighter stuff

if you have the cash try one of each

tackletrap has a killer price on the tatula sv.

3. Member
    +1 on what gear junkie said. I have a Tatula SV TWS and a Steez SV (not the T-Wing one though). Since you are new to Daiwa, I would personally get the Tatula SV TWS. It's great for skipping and if you really love it you can buy another one and still be below what you'd pay for the Steez SV. For what it's worth, in my opinion if you want the best reel for skipping, get the Curado DC. I'm not a proficient skipper and that reel has made things so much easier. Even with a bad skip, I'm not spending the next 5 minutes picking out a monster backlash. And because I'm not scared of backlashes with that reel, I'm trying to skip into places I wouldn't dare try to with a conventional reel. I'm 100% certain it's gotten me some bites I wouldn't otherwise have gotten.

4. Member
    I switched to mostly Daiwa Zillion SV TWS and have been very happy with them, no issues, concerns, or complaints. I picked up a couple Steez SV TWS this last year and with almost a full year with them I agree with the past post, more refined, smaller, and cast light lures well. I’ll be keeping my zillions for bread and butter but using Steez for any precision work. I don’t own one but I’ve also seen the curado dc is pretty sweet for skipping.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Any of the 3 SV TW models you mentioned will work perfectly fine for skipping jigs but the Steez SV TW is butter.

You can often pick up a barely used Steez SV TW on the Reels 4 Sale forum for between $350 and $400. Also check with Tackle Trap to see if the BBC discount applies to the Steez reels.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Thanks guys! I just bought the Steez and a Zillion on here barely used for $500 so I am pretty stoked to try them out.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    Thanks guys! I just bought the Steez and a Zillion on here barely used for $500 so I am pretty stoked to try them out.
    Great deal! ;)

8. Member
    For learning how to skip I'd say stay with Shimano and get a DC. I have the curado set on 4 and picked it up after a couple hours.

Okay-I’ll bite.

My first SV was the Tatula SV and honestly I feel in love from that point on. Bought a couple after my first that year then a 6.3 Zillion SV(still have it) and then added a 7:3:1 Zillion SV. Had an Aldebaran 50, Bantam MGL, Concept C, A, and a few others. Now I’m up to two Steez SV TWS and honestly I keep falling in love with these reels. The only other reel I would want to compare to my Steez is the Met DC.

10. Member
    Excellent! Love at 1st feel. Keep us posted on your impressions, after you have put them through the paces. If you want to up the performance a bit, grab a ZPI nrc spool for either reel (or both)! My favorite spool no doubt, and I've used a crap ton of 34mm spools, in several Daiwa platforms.

11. Member
    I used the Steez this past weekend and all I can only sum it up bus saying “holy crap I had no idea”! I have a ton of Abu Garcia stuff that I no longer want or need and I might as well start unloading my Shimano Ci4’s as well. Though I do love my Shimano gear I would rather have one Steez than 2 Ci4’s. Interested to see how the Zillion compares.

I do do want a bigger handle for the Steez and interested in what NathanDLTH mentioned about the spools. What other modifications have you guys done to these reels and how does it change them?

Thanks again!

I used the Steez this past weekend and all I can only sum it up bus saying “holy crap I had no idea”! I have a ton of Abu Garcia stuff that I no longer want or need and I might as well start unloading my Shimano Ci4’s as well. Though I do love my Shimano gear I would rather have one Steez than 2 Ci4’s. Interested to see how the Zillion compares.

I do do want a bigger handle for the Steez and interested in what NathanDLTH mentioned about the spools. What other modifications have you guys done to these reels and how does it change them?

Thanks again!
    Glad you’re loving the Steez, it’s a phenomenal reel and does a ton. As for the spools, it’s a preference things and I like the wider spools Daiwas come with vs the higher end Shimano reels which get narrower along with deeper. Other than that I didn’t mention anything in my original post about the spool differences. Take your time and get comfortable with each reel. Fine tune it for each technique and focus on the brakes with weather/fishing conditions. On my 7:3 Zillion SV, I run a 90 or 100mm Hawgtech handle, makes it great for cranking in fish, makes it easier to burn a spinnerbait too. For me, the Steez handle is fine the way it is. Good luck.

Just my personal opinion but the Zillion SV would be my choice. I have several Tatula SV reels and owned a Steez A SV as well. The Tatula has a couple of parts in their build that were "cheaper" for good reason because of the cost difference. The Zillion took care of that and is a more robust build. The Steez is a very nice reel...but not leaps and bounds different in performance. I feel you are paying for the name more so than the reel. So if I had to choose one of the three for overall performance and price it would be the Zillion.