Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

How's the Garden or the Farm doing this year ?

I planted on time with popular varieties of tomatoes and Pickles, Fat Pickles(bushxxx?) have grown all year, Tomatoes were in trouble in July(no sun,too much rain) and I kinda got frustrated and neglected them(water/weeds and not tieing) for a few weeks. My tomatoes are only 3 feet tall and dorky looking, and are a month late but giving plenty of tomatoes these last 3 weeks. Red Pepper plants are skinny but producing 3 or 4 big Red peppers. Funny to watch a Green pepper turn Red in a week. How are your fruit trees, Garden or Farm doing this year ?
    Last edited by Basscaster; 09-19-2019 at 10:27 AM.

DRY, when i get my water bill i'm betting i prorbably saved -400$ this month, ought to be some good maters though
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

3. Member
    Worst garden I have had in many years. Too much rain and planted late without working the soil much due to moisture. Have gotten tomatoes and cucumber along with some peppers, but that’s about it. Now just a bunch of weeds.

4. Member
    Way to dry here this summer.

5. Banned
    Too wet this spring, too dry this summer, we didn't get half of what we got last year.

6. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I don't plant a garden per se. However, I do plant some tomato plants. My tomatoes are going crazy, we have tons of them. Many more than we can use. We've given away lots of them to neighbors and folks at church. I did plant one zucchini plant. It had tons of blooms, but not many zucs.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

7. Member
    My tomatoes are doing awesome this year about 5' high however the fruit isn't turning red yet.

8. Member
    We had a chit ton of rain this spring, so everything was late getting in the ground. We did have a great green bean crop. Potatoes were small and maybe only netted 20 lbs out of 100 plants. Our first planting of corn got attacked by a coon even though I had a 3 ft tall electric fence, second planting of sweet corn was okay, but not the beautiful ears we had last year. Ocra did well, but we didn't pick it like we should have (won't plant next year). We had one of the better bell pepper crops we've ever had as we are still getting them. Also like many others our tomato's started producing really good at the end of August, unfortunately my wife is a school teacher, so she doesn't have the time to work them up. She did manage to can 20 pints and 10 quarts of tomato sauce this year. I have been bring in 5-8 gallons of tomato a week into work for my people to have. They love it, so we're not letting the go to waste.
    All in all it hasn't been our best garden, but by far not our worst either, and I have yet to water the garden this year.

9. Member
    got mine out too late as we had a weird wet spring. Everything died.

I had out around 180 tomato plants but we never really got good production out of them. Way too wet in the spring and then it got really dry in the summer. Most everyone around me said they didn’t get very good production either.

11. Member
    Mine didn't do squat way to much rain early let the weeds get away from me then turned dry, i only got a handful of squash and very few cucumbers , beans didn't do anything

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Not good. We’ve only had one rain since the end of June. Our well water has too much sodium to water plants, so pumping water from the pond is our only way to get water and it’s too low to pump anymore.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Tomatoes were stunted to begin with due to too much water. They are now 7' tall and the sweetest tomatoes we've ever grown. Squash, gold potatoes and onions did great, also.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Amazing. We got everything in late due to a late winter, but everything has taken off. Pumpkins are doing the worst of everything. Tomatos are insane, cant pick them fast enough. Zucchini has been producing all year, cantaloupe put out 20+ melons off one plant, and the peppers are doing great as well.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

15. Member
    Just goes to show how localized weather conditions can be so different and the effect on different plants. Looked from news reports that everywhere was flooded this spring. Still glad I planted something and got a little. Can’t really eat store bought tomatoes.

16. Member
    Mine...some things did great, some not so much. Got loads of potatoes. Peppers are still going (having to water). Onions didn't do so great. Operator error. Three different stages of Silver Queen looked great until the coons got in it. I probably got half of what it should have been. Tomatoes started off strong then died, as they do pretty much every year. No clue. Different varieties, same result. Cucumbers were sparse. Squash did great. Peas looked great till the deer got them. Peanuts never could get going, deer kept them eat down. I finally just plowed them under.

17. Member
    Peppers are doing well. Tomatoes started off good. The big tomatoes stopped producing with the high temperatures. The Sweet 100 tomatoes did well even several weeks into the hot spell but finally burnt out. We got almost 5,000 tomatoes from two plants. My wife eats 'em like popcorn.

18. Member
    cukes have done well - and if you have never had lemon cucumbers you need to give them a try - they are way more tasty then regular cukes. tomatoes have done well also and had a bumper crop of blackberries, easily harvested about 65 lbs or so. All my stuff is in planter boxes on a timed drip system with irrigation water . No fuss, no hassle and no weeds. simpliest easiest way to garden.

Too much rain. Tomatoes got every blight out there. We got some early produce but they gave up the ghost early.

20. Member
    Lost lots of tomatoes to stink bug spots, but a good crop nevertheless. Got dozens of cukes from each plant, they finally died a week ago, Eggplants and peppers gave a few, not large not prolific. Squash and Zukes did nothing again, I'll have to move them next year not enough sun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast