McGard prop lock issues?

Any issues with these?

A bit hesitant about it since it doesn't use the tab washer anymore.

2. Member
    None so far. Remember, none of the fat shafts on Mercury's have used a tab for more than 15 years. A lock nut torqued correctly works fine.

3. Member
    I used them and quit because I had problems removing them when I wanted to take the prop off. Couldn't figure out what the problem was, but getting the McGard back off was a big problem.

They work great.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Remove your prop if you are worried about theft.

After having a camper stolen, I worry more about the boat being stolen than the prop!! I empty my boat and remove the prop when I winterize it.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. Member
    Been using it for years on my boat. ty

7. Member
    work great!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    Just remember to torque them regularly. I had one come off once.The prop jammed against the skag so didn't lose it. I always used them even after that. Never had anymore problems but would check the torque often.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSSCT98 View Post
    I used them and quit because I had problems removing them when I wanted to take the prop off. Couldn't figure out what the problem was, but getting the McGard back off was a big problem.
    It was kind of a pain to put on bc the key doesn't bite the nut that well, while holding a block of wood against the prop.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Remove your prop if you are worried about theft.

After having a camper stolen, I worry more about the boat being stolen than the prop!! I empty my boat and remove the prop when I winterize it.
    Just another line of protection. Granted I've seen videos of how to remove them but hopefully they'll go after the easier targets instead.

Good product for my Yamaha, cause no longer have to use cotter pin.

I have used one for 10+ years. Remove it every winter when I winterize, clean, grease the prop shaft and reinstall—- so far no problems.

13. Member
    I have used a McGard lock on my Yamaha on two boats over the past 15 years. Completely unexpected I lost my prop during a tournament in June. I had never hit anything and the only thing possible was it loosened over time. It was over a year when I had last had taken my prop off. I believe it is a quality product. In fact I purchased a new one for my new replacement prop. Losing the prop was about $750 total for prop, new spacers, and lock. I torque the lock to 50 pounds but now retourque it every few months for my own piece of mind. In my opinion this lock elminates somebody quickly and easily stealing your prop.
    Randall Heinrich
    Alpharetta, GA
    2002 Ranger 195VS
    200 Yamaha VMax EFI

14. Member
    I’ve used them on several boats for years and years, never an issue. Follow the directions on the washers!