USA ABA Military Team Bass Tournament (Wheeler Lake)

Event is 3 - 8 May 2020 in Decatur, AL..

Any recommendations on lodging?

Prefer a cabin or cottage for 4 (2 teams) but will use anything on or near the water..

ThanksDave
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

2. Banned
    You can not beat the newer Cottages at Joe Wheeler State park. I stayed in one back in May for a 2 day club tourney. Sleeps 5-6 people. Also the lodge rooms at Joe Wheeler are nice. The older brick cabins at the dam next to the Wilson Public launch at the dam are ok as well. Not bad and are cheaper. I have stayed at all 3 places.

If you got the cash get a Cottage.

https://www.alapark.com/parks/joe-wh...eside-cottages

https://www.alapark.com/parks/joe-wh...k/resort-lodge

https://www.alapark.com/parks/joe-wh...te-park/cabins
    Last edited by jbtriton80; 09-19-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Perfect!

Thank you, Dave

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    Perfect!

Thank you, Dave
    Just so you know these cabins are approximately 20-25 miles West of Decatur near dam. Depending on cabin selected about 30 to 60 minutes by trailer and about the same by water in the dark. Lots of motels/hotels in Decatur and most have electric hook ups. There is a nice Home2 next door to Ingalls. 200 yard walk I would guess.
    I would suggest you trailer if you stay at cabins.

5. Member
    +1. Find out where your launching from. My guess is Ingalls Harbor, and if so, I would stay at a local hotel close to Ingalls. My last trip I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Decatur. They have boat power hookups, and it's only 4 miles to the Ingalls ramp. Wheeler State park run to Ingalls is a pretty good one, and not one I would want to make in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Just so you know these cabins are approximately 20-25 miles West of Decatur near dam. Depending on cabin selected about 30 to 60 minutes by trailer and about the same by water in the dark. Lots of motels/hotels in Decatur and most have electric hook ups. There is a nice Home2 next door to Ingalls. 200 yard walk I would guess.
    I would suggest you trailer if you stay at cabins.

That should hit shad spawn just about right.. That will be the top deal more than likely

If your launching at Ingall's, there is a new Home2 built in parking lot. If your launching at 1st creek on the lower end, State Park.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

State Park is a long way from Ingalls...by water and land. Best to find a place in or near Decatur or Athens. Also, if you or your partner have a camper there are campgrounds nearby. My brother and his partner are coming from Missouri and they're going to be using my camper. He originally had a room reserved at the State Park lodge til he talked to me. He had no idea how far it would be to drive each day.
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

It's a hard 22+ mile run by water and if we have a good west blow, that spells super bad news for that long run. Even longer drive towing. Plenty of motels here in Decatur.
    Kerry Copeland
    Decatur, Alabama

Thanks again for the additional info.. Thinking about staying right at the launch site..

TTT.

There is a Home2 in parking lot at Ingalls harbor. Wheeler is much different than the other 3 lakes close by, all the residential houses and on lower end of Wheeler by dam. In Decatur it's all industry on the water clear to Guntersville Dam. The Home2 would be best option coming out of Decatur. Let me know if you need anything I am 3 miles from the ramp. Kerry
    Kerry Copeland
    Decatur, Alabama