Thread: 921 vs 721

921 vs 721

So what is the big difference? Does the 721 carry its beam forward as much as the 921? I know the 921 is a bit longer but is that the only difference? Speed and ride quality? Thanks!

2. Member
    921 front deck is massive, much wider than the 721. It carries the deck width mush closer to the front pedestal, whereas the 721 starts tapering more back at the console. The extra boat length is all in the front deck, too, as most all Phoenix boats have very similar back decks. The 921 has much taller gunnels on the front deck which don't bother some, but I prefer the shorter gunnels (raised deck) of the MY 2017+ 721s. The ride quality will go to the 921 due to the length of the boat, but the 721 is a close second. The speed and handling goes to the 721, hands down. In the end, they are both Phoenix boats and I would love to own either of them. My choice (for the way I fish) was to go with the 721 and have the extra cash to load it out the way that I wanted it. I have owned mine since 2017 and I enjoy fishing out of it as much today as the day that I picked her up. If money weren't an option and you didn't mind giving up 3-5 mph loaded, then the 921 would be the way to go.

There is a sticky post at the top of the page that lists all of the dimensions for each Phoenix. You should check that out.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

3. Member
    Would love a 721

4. Member
    The 921 is pretty much a clean sheet of paper and start over.
    The 721 is a cloned Stratos 201.

5. Member
    All I can tell you is pick the hull you want don't look at the features because Phoenix will put any feature you want in any of their boats. The 921 as said above will handle ruff water a bit better, but at the cost of about 5 mph and less agility when fishing in tight spots. The biggest thing I noticed with a 921 is that you will have to run the trolling motor on a higher speed.

I have now owned 2 birds and both have been 721's. Before I ordered my 2nd 721"now wider then my old 721" I drove in and stood on the front deck of all 3 a 920, 721 and a 921. I end up liking the hull of the 721 but the features of the 9 series so I paid to have the 9 series wiring, and a ton of up grades that made my 721 have everything that a 9 series has plus some.

For me I have no clue why Phoenix does not make a straight 21 foot boat with a wide front deck like the other 9 series. The 920 IMO is not worth your time to look at because you will notice the shorter length in ruff water but you don't gain speed over a 721.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    The 920 IMO is not worth your time to look at because you will notice the shorter length in ruff water but you don't gain speed over a 721.
    You’re killin me, Small’s. OP didn’t ask about the 920, but you’re gonna slam it without owning one. The 721 has 5” on the 920 and most of it is in front of the front shroud because of the narrower taper. Not a soul can actually tell a difference in 5” of Phoenix in the “ruff stuff”. Driver is the difference there. To the OP, 921/21PHX are the studs of the lineup and THE choice if you have the funds and the storage.
    2014 920/SHO

7. Member
    Diff was 10 g when I bought my 721

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    You’re killin me, Small’s. OP didn’t ask about the 920, but you’re gonna slam it without owning one. The 721 has 5” on the 920 and most of it is in front of the front shroud because of the narrower taper. Not a soul can actually tell a difference in 5” of Phoenix in the “ruff stuff”. Driver is the difference there. To the OP, 921/21PHX are the studs of the lineup and THE choice if you have the funds and the storage.
    Not bashing any bird I love them all that's why I bought a 2nd one. I'm just saying I took the time to drive all 3 when I bought my most recent bird and with the new wider 721 it's hard to beat the combination of ruff water performance, speed and shallow water use.

The 921 does have a small gain in ruff water ride but like I said it is at the cost of a loss of speed and a loss of agility in shallow water. The way I looked at it is I was willing to be a bit less comfortable to get to my fish faster on long runs and have more agility when flipping and pitch trees and docks.

By no means am I bashing any bird just things I noticed when taking a hard look at all 3.

9. Member
    I've owned both. The previous posters did a good job describing the differences. The 921 deck is significantly larger to me and is much better for having 2 guys on the front deck. 721 is faster but in my experience not a full 5 mph faster if rigged similar.

10. Member
    Well I’ll tell you I have a 721 and it’s great. Absolutely eats up rough water and handles crazy good. The front deck is a bit narrower, but it’s still plenty roomy for two guys to fish with some rods laying up there too. I would get another 721, JMO

11. Member
    721 is a great boat hands down.... we just sold ours and 921 pro on order... if you want speed go with 721 its a great boat... if you are looing for extra room and a tad bit more comfort along with loosing 3 mph then go with 921.. just my opinion....