Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Member
    If mass shootings are a result of decaying morality, and lack of male role models, as this article suggests, then why are they a distinctly American problem? Why isn't post Christian Europe, which has been held up by Dobson et al as being further down the train tracks of moral decay suffering from the same shooting issue?

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Single moms have no business raising boys. The boys will grow up disrespecting women and walking all over them or become feminized and wonder what gender they are.
    Many of your posts are questionable at best, but that's probably the most ignorant one you've made to date.

3. Member
    Dare I say women who are bitter towards men probably didn't have a father figure around either?
    I've known lots of women whose boyfriends or husbands have given them plenty of good reason to be bitter towards men. Has nothing to do with their dads, and guess what, they don't take out their anger or bitterness on their children. That's an absurd idea.

Women are pretty good at holding men who deserve to be held in high regard, in high regard. I dare say they give their dads and sons even more benifits of the doubt than most of us deserve.

4. Banned
    Go Browns!!!!!!!!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mixermark View Post
    If mass shootings are a result of decaying morality, and lack of male role models, as this article suggests, then why are they a distinctly American problem? Why isn't post Christian Europe, which has been held up by Dobson et al as being further down the train tracks of moral decay suffering from the same shooting issue?
    Because their citizen subjects do not have the same rights as us.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Because their citizen subjects do not have the same rights as us.
    And THAT is why some of us, would rather modify those rights in a few common sense ways, than to see more elementary school children die while we sit and complain about changing moral standards.
    Last edited by mixermark; 09-18-2019 at 06:38 PM.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Many of your posts are questionable at best, but that's probably the most ignorant one you've made to date.
    Maybe, maybe not. I didn't stoop to name calling, just stated my opinion.

The googler tells me that there is a strong correlation between fatherless children and the demise of a moral society. I've seen the issue first hand with both friends and, family. It is no secret that the majority of broken kids come from broken homes. The destruction of the family unit by the removal of values that were once cherished and are now taboo has a direct effect on today's children. Children NEED role models. Boys need to learn from men. No disrespect to women was intended and it's a shame some people took it that way.

8. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Maybe, maybe not. I didn't stoop to name calling, just stated my opinion.

The googler tells me that there is a strong correlation between fatherless children and the demise of a moral society. I've seen the issue first hand with both friends and, family. It is no secret that the majority of broken kids come from broken homes. The destruction of the family unit by the removal of values that were once cherished and are now taboo has a direct effect on today's children. Children NEED role models. Boys need to learn from men. No disrespect to women was intended and it's a shame some people took it that way.
    This is your first line "Single moms have no business raising boys." and you want to claim no disrespect..... seriously
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

9. Member
    One of the few things I remember from college was one of the Federalist Papers that said that power was to be held in a fiduciary capacity. This was a central tenet of American culture since the founding of the country and it was central to the family unit. Parents sacrificed so their children could succeed, soldiers served to protect their country, and people were patriotic paid taxes and did not want to run large deficits at the national level or in their family due to the fear that it would harm future generations. Sometime, I do not know when, this was replaced with a narcissistic delusional mentality of get everything you want and can right now. There was no long view, no bigger picture just immediate wants and needs. The rewards were seeing your children grow up as responsible adults carrying your values down the line rather than what you were driving. Maybe this shift is a result of popular culture, social media, lack of religion are a whole bunch of factors. I see it in my workplace and around me everyday. People place no value on values just on money and possessions and that is creating a delusional, valueless group of people that have no concern for the long term or others. Just my opinion based on my observations.

Perhaps you just don't hear about the shootings they have, because their post-Christian societies aren't as outraged about them as our Christian society is. And/Or, perhaps they aren't viewed as a political tool by their post-Christian politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    One of the few things I remember from college was one of the Federalist Papers that said that power was to be held in a fiduciary capacity. This was a central tenet of American culture since the founding of the country and it was central to the family unit. Parents sacrificed so their children could succeed, soldiers served to protect their country, and people were patriotic paid taxes and did not want to run large deficits at the national level or in their family due to the fear that it would harm future generations. Sometime, I do not know when, this was replaced with a narcissistic delusional mentality of get everything you want and can right now. There was no long view, no bigger picture just immediate wants and needs. The rewards were seeing your children grow up as responsible adults carrying your values down the line rather than what you were driving. Maybe this shift is a result of popular culture, social media, lack of religion are a whole bunch of factors. I see it in my workplace and around me everyday. People place no value on values just on money and possessions and that is creating a delusional, valueless group of people that have no concern for the long term or others. Just my opinion based on my observations.
    Just as all the great societies before us have done, we've peaked and have begun our descent. We'll all be dust long before it crumbles, but make no mistake it will crumble. From the ashes another great society will arise and start the process over again. It's human nature - capable of both greatness and mind numbing cruelty/stupidity.
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    Of course, boys need role models. Do they have to have them in the house with them? Absolutely not!

Is it best? Sure. I had a wonderful Dad, and a great Mom, who loved each other and lived out a great example of marriage for 38 years until my dad passed. Great way to grow up.

Am am I any better of a "man" because of that?

NO- I am the man I am because I choose to be.

Any boy can can choose to be a good man, even if he is an orphan, raised by a mom and a dad, or by a single mother, or two moms, or two dads, or a pack of wild wolves.

You grow up, learn lessons along the way, decide who you want to be, and you be that person. When you fall short of who you want to be, you get up the next day and try again to do better.

Some have it easier, but at the end of the day, it's about personal responsibility and doing what you know to be right by the rest of the humans we share a planet with.

I know just as many jagoffs who grew up in a nuclear family as didn't.
    well said.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    This is your first line "Single moms have no business raising boys." and you want to claim no disrespect..... seriously
    I took it to mean it as a criticism of men that did not help raise their children, or men that ignore opportunities to be father figures to boys being raised by single mothers, rather than extolling the benefits of removing male children from single mothers, or criticism of mothers that attempt to raise boys.

As in "housewives have no business doing all the cooking for the family", meaning that men should cook, too.

But hey, never pass up an opportunity to be outraged on the internet.

14. Member
    I think that article has a ton of merit

15. Banned
    The divorce rate has tripled since 1960 as did the crime rate in the US. I didn't make up those statistics, those are from your US government websites.

16. Member
    And THAT is why some of us, would rather modify those rights in a few common sense ways, than to see more elementary school children die while we sit and complain about changing moral standards.
    And there’s a proper avenue to achieve that but “you people” try to subvert the constitution instead of amend it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I took it to mean it as a criticism of men that did not help raise their children, or men that ignore opportunities to be father figures to boys being raised by single mothers, rather than extolling the benefits of removing male children from single mothers, or criticism of mothers that attempt to raise boys.

As in "housewives have no business doing all the cooking for the family", meaning that men should cook, too.

But hey, never pass up an opportunity to be outraged on the internet.
    Truer words were never spoken.

18. Banned
    The divorce rate has tripled since 1960 as did the crime rate in the US. I didn't make up those statistics, those are from your US government websites.

https://towardsdatascience.com/why-c...n-5b99790df07e

https://www.khanacademy.org/partner-...-and-causation

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    I think that article has a ton of merit
    I will agree to disagree, because I think that article is a shallow dodge, blaming mass shootings on the "lack of male role models" instead of on the "unequaled in any other society access to semi-automatic, high capacity assault rifles", with a bit of old fashioned patriarchy thrown in for good measure.

Its typical of American Christianity today, in that it offers a black and white, one sided solution, to a complex problem that will never be solved until people are willing to discuss it rationally, and include all of the causes, and not just the ones that sound good to your red or blue base. The truth is always somewhere in the middle, but the middle doesn't get your side's choir excited enough to break out the checkbook.

Yes, we have a morality problem, but that problem isn't a lack of male role models.

It's greed.

20. Member
    I will agree to disagree, because I think that article is a shallow dodge, blaming mass shootings on the "lack of male role models" instead of on the "unequaled in any other society access to semi-automatic, high capacity assault rifles", with a bit of old fashioned patriarchy thrown in for good measure.

Its typical of American Christianity today, in that it offers a black and white, one sided solution, to a complex problem that will never be solved until people are willing to discuss it rationally, and include all of the causes, and not just the ones that sound good to your red or blue base. The truth is always somewhere in the middle, but the middle doesn't get your side's choir excited enough to break out the checkbook.

Yes, we have a morality problem, but that problem isn't a lack of male role models.

It's greed.
    Can somebody translate this tripe.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast