Thread: Fortrex issues

Fortrex issues

36v 112 thrust when I release the power button and step back on does not work, can pick the motor up like I’m gonna stow it and it starts working, just have to pick it up a couple inches....any ideas?
    Wanna kill a Iowa giant?

2. Member
    Guessing is bad armature. When does it, then instead of picking up and dropping reach down and turn the prop 1/4 a turn and see if it works.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Guessing is bad armature. When does it, then instead of picking up and dropping reach down and turn the prop 1/4 a turn and see if it works.
    John
    Yes you can get it to go by turning the prop, I’m thinking spring either missing or installed wrong????
    Wanna kill a Iowa giant?

4. Member
    I agree with John. I would follow his recommendations. He has been in the business for may years.

John
    Is there a test I can perform to be sure it’s the armature b4 I just order 1 ?
    Wanna kill a Iowa giant?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rgbasser View Post
    Is there a test I can perform to be sure it’s the armature b4 I just order 1 ?
    Look at my post above, or you can remove the armature and take it to a starter/alternator repair shop and let them look at it.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Get your electrical to do an Ohm test on the segments of the commutator. They should all read near zero. If it reads extremely high you have an open segment/bad armature or do as John suggest

Look at my post above, or you can remove the armature and take it to a starter/alternator repair shop and let them look at it.
    John
    So your saying because I can turn it 1/4 turn and it starts up I have a bad armature? Not questioning your expertise but a misplaced spring or missing spring wouldn’t do the same? It’s not my motor trying to help a friend that 1.5 hrs from me get back on the water for a Tourny next weekend, I’d like to have the parts when I go to tear it down for him.
    Wanna kill a Iowa giant?

I guess what I’m saying is if that’s the case I will go ahead and order the armature .
    Wanna kill a Iowa giant?

10. Member
    So your saying because I can turn it 1/4 turn and it starts up I have a bad armature? Not questioning your expertise but a misplaced spring or missing spring wouldn’t do the same? It’s not my motor trying to help a friend that 1.5 hrs from me get back on the water for a Tourny next weekend, I’d like to have the parts when I go to tear it down for him.
    If you would have a bad brush spring the motor would not run at all.

Update, tore into the motor this weekend, glad I didn’t take it to a shop, cause I can see 1 ripping a man off with a new armature. 1 of the brush connectors was not connected but was touching it, thus making contact and working intermittent.
    Wanna kill a Iowa giant?

12. Member
    Update, tore into the motor this weekend, glad I didn’t take it to a shop, cause I can see 1 ripping a man off with a new armature. 1 of the brush connectors was not connected but was touching it, thus making contact and working intermittent.
    In that case he wouldn't have full power to the motor (one of those little things you didn't mention) and picking it up or spinning the prop would have no effect, but would be coincidental giving time for the bad connection to cool off. I too am glad you didn't order the armature and, although I can't speak of other shops, we would have repaired the problem and charged for the repair -- not "ripped" a customer off selling him something he doesn't need.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]