My X Motor Will Not Turn Over 3000 RPR At WOT

I Have A 20 Bullet XRD With 2004 Mercury Promax 225X Motor Serial OT818248, 27 Pitch Bravo,Max RPM 3000,Water Pressure At Idle 5 PSI And WOT Is At 10 PSI No Engine Mods, I Had To Replace The Small Oil Tank In The Motor Because I Was Getting A Oil Alarm (4 Beeps Every 2Mins) So That's Good Now So Now I Have The Deal That Wide Open I'm Just Turning 3000 And Will Not Plane Off

2. Member
    i have that same boat/motor combo..i had a problem a few months ago where i was down on power..not quite as bad as yours ..turned out to be the spark plugs..i have read on here that those motors are very sensitive about there plugs..i had just replaced plugs with bpr8evx plugs turns out they are not the recommended replacement for the discontinued bpr8eix plug..ran fine for about 30 mins then felt like a 40% drop in power..good luck hope its something simple and cheap...great motors

3. Member
    So What Type Plug Did You Wind Up Going With ? And Thanks For Your Information. Steve (205-506-1401)

4. Member
    In regards to the X's spark plugs: I'm thinking they came out with BPR8EVX which are no longer avl.

I used BPR8EIX for a good while but from my experience they foul easier.

Several years ago, i switched to a one step hotter plug: BPR7EIX. They last longer. There's risk in running a hotter plug than the OEM though.

5. Member
    i used bpr8es..so far they have been fine about 3 hrs run time...was told they are the same plug just does not have the irriduim tip

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Recommend using BPR8EIX.

Check the BASICS: Compression Test, Spark Test, Fuel Quality/Pressure/Delivery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor