Question Oil level question.

Hello,
    I purchased a brand new 2019 BF90 in july this summer, I have done the recommended break in procedure and changed the oils after 20hrs, I made sure not to exceed the maximum amount of 4.5 liters for the engine oil. Since then I have put another 10 hrs on the motor, I checked the oil last week end and noticed that the oil level has gone up,,,??? The level is about 6 mm above the maximum on the dip stick,
    Should be worried about this??
    Another question, what critical information should be displayed on the sonar?? oil pressure? Temp? Water pressure?
    Thank guys..
    8410XSV, 8612XSV
    GT15, GT40, PS30
    GPSMAP 536
    2022 Lund Impact XS 1775
    115 Pro XS

2. Member
    Sounds like you have blow by gas getting in the oil from not swelling the pistons up enough and seating the rings. I would suggest changing your oil again to get out any blow by gas and then run it hard, very hard. I know my BF250 break in was very easy, but my Yamaha's after the first 3 hours of by the book break in I would have to run them very hard to prevent blow by oil or "making oil" the rise on dip stick you are talking about. To get my Yamaha's to seat I would give it a good warm up then no short runs for hours 4 - 15 and keep it 3 /4 to wot every time I ran it for hours 4 - 15. If you only make short runs like 15 miles or less on average this is most likely your problem in my opinion.

Called the dealer yesterday, they told me the exact same thing,, Problem is the lake i fish doesn't allow me to run at WOT for hours, just to rough most of the time.
    Do you have a recommendation for a different oil brand than Honda's?? it's getting expensive...

Thank you so much for the info, you're right on the money with your answer.
    8410XSV, 8612XSV
    GT15, GT40, PS30
    GPSMAP 536
    2022 Lund Impact XS 1775
    115 Pro XS

4. Member
    You really need to find you some water you can go run it hard for some time.

5. Member
    I would run the Honda oil till 100 hours, after that ok to change to synthetic.

I would find a calm day and spend a couple hours to just run it hard. Let's put it this way I don't know too many guys that fish ruffer water then I do " 90% of the time great lakes" and every brand new four stroke I set aside one day to seat rings after the first few hours of crucial break in. Fill the tank give it a good warm up then drive it like you stole it for a hour straight and do not even think of letting the outboard running temp go under 200 deg for that hour. My BF 250 did not "make oil" after hour 20 not even one bit.

Keep in mind any outboard is hard to get hot because it is always taking in cold lake water, it's not like a car that has a closed system that is why you have to run a outboard so hard to prevent blow by gas. It's just as important to run it hard in the last few hours of break in as it is to vary speeds and keep rpm's low in the first few hours. I had a Yamaha tech tell me he feels this is the most common reason for a blown power head.

Drive it like you stole it,,,That is funy!!
    I'll be out tomorrow trying to do as you suggested, I just hope it's not to late.

Your help is much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Astrochris; 09-20-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    8410XSV, 8612XSV
    GT15, GT40, PS30
    GPSMAP 536
    2022 Lund Impact XS 1775
    115 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrochris View Post
    Drive it like you stole it,,,That is funy!!
    I'll be out tomorrow trying to do as you suggested, I just hope it's not to late.

Your help is much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Did you run it hard? If so did you have time yet to change oil and re check?

I sure did, burnt a tank of gas in 3 hrs.. Spoke to my dealer and i will bring in the boat for them to look at, he says it's is not normal to have increased level of oil and wants to look at the mechanical fuel pump.
    Says no need to run it hard as suggested but i did it anyways.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again
    8410XSV, 8612XSV
    GT15, GT40, PS30
    GPSMAP 536
    2022 Lund Impact XS 1775
    115 Pro XS