How does the AVX compare to glass boats?

Thinking through my next boat purchase and I am curious about these rigs. How would a 1980 compare to a 19’ fiberglass boat while fishing? While in rough water? Storage? Just looking for honest options and maybe personal experience. Thx guys

I am biased, however i will just say this. The only thing an equal size glass boat will have on the 1980 is top end speed and possibly heavy wind. However, the ultrex holds these boats rock solid so it is a non issue. When running the TM, it'll stay true. Otherwise overall performance is very comparable. I have been out in mine with several glass boat owners and they all say the same thing "this boat feels just like my glass boat". Which I agree as I have fished many a hours from their boats. Also, plenty of storage etc in the 1980's.

Get out on one and run it and let the boat speak for itself. If you aren't a believer now, you will be when you finish.
    Last edited by Jonesslk; 09-18-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

3. Member
    That is the honest truth I totally agree

4. Member
    I totally agree on the ride in our 1980 /to a glass boat, i think better at times.

5. Member
    I have a 2080 but have been in a 1980 as well and agree with the comments above. I actually believe mine rides better my 2017 glass Ranger z185. Granted, it is a foot longer, but it lands softer and I feel like it is built better IMO. Plenty of storage as well. I will agree that it does blow around in the wind more (when going down a bank, its hardly noticeable) but is not nearly as bad as other aluminum boats I have been in, and the ultrex will hold you in place while fishing offshore. I honestly don't know that I'll buy glass again as long as they keep making these!
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

6. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    I am biased, however i will just say this. The only thing an equal size glass boat will have on the 1980 is top end speed and possibly heavy wind. However, the ultrex holds these boats rock solid so it is a non issue. When running the TM, it'll stay true. Otherwise overall performance is very comparable. I have been out in mine with several glass boat owners and they all say the same thing "this boat feels just like my glass boat". Which I agree as I have fished many a hours from their boats. Also, plenty of storage etc in the 1980's.

Get out on one and run it and let the boat speak for itself. If you aren't a believer now, you will be when you finish.
    X2, albeit from the Ranger side of the spectrum, although a similar platform.

Glass will have the advantage in heavy wind and running through rough water. My Summertime fishing is pretty much fraught with our "friends" out there who insist on wake-boarding and skiing right where we fish, heaven forbid they get more than 100 yds away from flip 'n marina.... In my Tin, I have to negotiate the big ones and slow down, whereas the glass guys can cut right through most of them.

I will add that I've hit 'em pretty hard now and then and she seems to take it very well...

good luck young man
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    X2, albeit from the Ranger side of the spectrum, although a similar platform.

Glass will have the advantage in heavy wind and running through rough water. My Summertime fishing is pretty much fraught with our "friends" out there who insist on wake-boarding and skiing right where we fish, heaven forbid they get more than 100 yds away from flip 'n marina.... In my Tin, I have to negotiate the big ones and slow down, whereas the glass guys can cut right through most of them.

I will add that I've hit 'em pretty hard now and then and she seems to take it very well...

good luck young man
    Come on King_Fish. Give your R%nger(can't say that word) 198 more credit. Your boat will handle the big water pretty damn good but you choose to be on the cautious side, like me. The boats are very similar performance wise and the 1980 lands softer than most glass boats I have been in. However, the overall curb appeal of Vexus is unrivaled.

I fish very similar waters as you and I see the glass boats slow down just as we do on the big cross wakes from our friends who have no clue why we are standing on the front of our boats. If they don't you can hear them land and the ride is brutal.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Come on King_Fish. Give your R%nger(can't say that word) 198 more credit. Your boat will handle the big water pretty damn good but you choose to be on the cautious side, like me. The boats are very similar performance wise and the 1980 lands softer than most glass boats I have been in. However, the overall curb appeal of Vexus is unrivaled.

I fish very similar waters as you and I see the glass boats slow down just as we do on the big cross wakes from our friends who have no clue why we are standing on the front of our boats. If they don't you can hear them land and the ride is brutal.
    10-4 we'll go with that....

It's all good my-man, all good
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

9. Member
    I think what has been said by actual Vexus owner’s is right on the money. I will add my take as we happened to be out on Chickamauga Lake when the Major League Fishing guys and later when the FLW guys were competing this spring. We always wait and let them go by then go where they aren’t. The afternoon water conditions on these fishing days were rough in the afternoons. We all headed into the wind and waves when we headed back upstream. We were all going the same speed in this heavy chop at less than full speed (48 to 52mph). To go faster whether you were in a aluminum or a fiberglass boat would risk getting air-born. I agree that a fiberglass boat having more mass is affected less by the wind, and may absorb the impact of waves better. But, the difference is very small in the AVX 1980. And the advantage of the AVX 1980 with the G2 150HO in my experience is the quick throttle response in these situations. Hole shots are awesome, and quicker in my opinion than other fiberglass boats in this size. I’m biased because I love my AVX1980/G2, and so does my fishing buddy who regularly fishes out of his tournament fishing partner’s Triton 20/Mercury 225 Optimax.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

10. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    I think what has been said by actual Vexus owner’s is right on the money. I will add my take as we happened to be out on Chickamauga Lake when the Major League Fishing guys and later when the FLW guys were competing this spring. We always wait and let them go by then go where they aren’t. The afternoon water conditions on these fishing days were rough in the afternoons. We all headed into the wind and waves when we headed back upstream. We were all going the same speed in this heavy chop at less than full speed (48 to 52mph). To go faster whether you were in a aluminum or a fiberglass boat would risk getting air-born. I agree that a fiberglass boat having more mass is affected less by the wind, and may absorb the impact of waves better. But, the difference is very small in the AVX 1980. And the advantage of the AVX 1980 with the G2 150HO in my experience is the quick throttle response in these situations. Hole shots are awesome, and quicker in my opinion than other fiberglass boats in this size. I’m biased because I love my AVX1980/G2, and so does my fishing buddy who regularly fishes out of his tournament fishing partner’s Triton 20/Mercury 225 Optimax.
    Well put, and despite being from "the other side of the tracks", at least we have one thing in common - H2E!! (Hail to Evinrude)… It makes an awesome package, from either side of the tracks.

H2E!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

11. Member
    If you take a 1980 out and then immediately take a quality 19.5" glass boat out, you'll notice a difference. Nothing wrong with the vexus, it rides amazing and much better than you would expect a tin boat. If it's choppy though, you can feel the difference. A good glass boat just feels more solid. A lot of that probably has to do with the added weight. I was on the verge of ordering a 1980 when a I came across a deal on a 19.5" skeeter with a 200sho still under warranty. Again, not knocking the ride of the 1980, but this rig rides and handles better. It feels more solid and more forgiving in rough water and I feel the only way a tin rig will ever be able to compete with that is to make it the weight of a glass rig....in which case, why bother with a tin boat.

Turning at higher speeds also feels more stable, I'm sure the added weight helps. The 1989 felt kind of like a rock skipping across the lake when it was a little choppy.

Had I not come across this deal, I probably would have ordered a 1980 by now. Why I still hangout in this group I guess.
    2014 Skeeter ZX200 - 200 SHO

12. Member
    I have the shorter 1880....and were I a bit younger would have the 19....but cost and putting in garage and moving by oneself the 18 size helps. I love this boat and really cannot say anything bad about Vexus. The quality of the ride and the pride and quality of the people who made and also sold it to me have been awesome. Would get another in a heartbeat.