PT 190 TX or RT188

I like the Ranger RT188 but the PT 190 TX is a bit less width and will fit in my garage better. The Ranger will fit but it will be really tight through the opening. Making the garage wider is not an option.

Anybody purchase the Tracker over the Ranger and have any regrets?

2. Banned
    I bought a Tracker specifically because I could fit it in the garage. The RT version spec'd out almost a foot longer at storage length. I already have to angle the Tracker in at a 30 degree angle to get the door closed.

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I like the Ranger RT188 but the PT 190 TX is a bit less width and will fit in my garage better. The Ranger will fit but it will be really tight through the opening. Making the garage wider is not an option.

Anybody purchase the Tracker over the Ranger and have any regrets?
    How tight i.e. how much clearance on each side and do you plan to back it in w/ a vehicle or by hand?

I do mine by hand and have ~ 5 - 6" on each side and it works out fine. when it's in the garage there is plenty of room on each side of the boat.

If you are using a vehicle to back it in, and doing it by yourself, less clearance will be a pain in the butt, you might consider the narrower boat. If you have the dexterity and will be pushing/pulling into the garage by hand, I would certainly go w/ the 188.

All things considered, both boats are just fine and will serve you well. Having had both, I would take the 188 hands down, it's just a better fishing platform, and as good as anything out there "with the TM down"

I will part by saying that I had a PT175 for 9 years and it was a fantastic boat, never leaked a drop, was solid and performed like day 1 when I traded her on the RT
    Last edited by King_Fish; 09-30-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: updated the clearance info w/ actuals
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Was able to look at both very closely when looking at dealers and all around boat wise both are very nice tracker really improved their bow layout and storage like big step up. Rangers pretty well unchanged. Neither boat however do i like the trailer at all. The tracker and nitro trailers have really gotten cheap from a fabricators view some of it makes me cringe but im overly picky too. The ranger trailer has always looked light duty to me other than their swing away tongue is much better. The small channel cross beams just dont do it for me. If the tracker had the trailer like i sold on my 2008 hands down the tracker as it sits tough choice honestly. If you have a narrow garage whichever fits i guess. The tracker is 89” how wide is the ranger its not that much more is it?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    I have had my 2018 PT190 for almost two years now. Love the boat and have not the slightest regret about buying it.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

6. Member
    I love my 2006 PT 190, never been in one of the rangers for the money Diff I would buy the 190 and upgrade the trolling motor to a spot-lock and the fish finder's and if you pull a long ways upgrade the trailer to a dual axle
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

7. Member
    When i bought mine they had both sitting side by side on the showroom floor and after looking at both for probably a hour and a half i finally decided to ask the shop owner which he would recommend ( sure of what the answer would be) and to my surprise he said the tracker!! He said its just a all around better boat especially the ride, and i have to say i don’t regret my decision one bit.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    115 MERCURY PRO XS 4 STROKE
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Vessel View mobile Installed
    2= Garmin ecomap 93sv plus
    Ram swing arm mount (console)
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force
    Supreme Ultimate Bunkboards
    3 Leaf 3000# leaf spring upgrade

8. Member
    I have had my Tracker 190 TX since September 2006 and it is a great boat! Good luck on your decision. Buy the one that’s right for you and makes you happy! Both are good boats.
    2007 Bass Tracker 190 TX
    20006 Mercury 90 Optimax
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor
    6" CMC Manual Jack Plate
    21" Trophy Plus Prop
    Minn Kota 80 lb Maxxum
    Humminbird 898c SI and 998c SI at Console
    Humminbird 998c SI and 1199ci HD SI at bow
    Humminbird 360 at bow
    Ethernet Linked with 5 Port Hub

9. Member
    If it will fit get the Ranger, I have to push mine in the garage (very little clearance) and get it angled...not a real big deal

10. Member
    I owned a 2012 Tracker 175TXW (Not a 190 but very close) and traded it for my 2019 RT188. For overall fishing comfort I give that to the RT. The deck room is more than enough. The hull sits nice and flat when fishing. For overall handling at WOT, I give that to the Tracker. This hull in tin rides like being on a cloud (southern lakes). For low speed handling, loading and docking, again I give that to the RT. The Tracker at the dock and backing down is very frustrating to put it mildly. In the end you are the only one who can choose which one you like. For me I am glad that I went with the RT instead of another Tracker
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    I owned a 2012 Tracker 175TXW (Not a 190 but very close) and traded it for my 2019 RT188. For overall fishing comfort I give that to the RT. The deck room is more than enough. The hull sits nice and flat when fishing. For overall handling at WOT, I give that to the Tracker. This hull in tin rides like being on a cloud (southern lakes). For low speed handling, loading and docking, again I give that to the RT. The Tracker at the dock and backing down is very frustrating to put it mildly. In the end you are the only one who can choose which one you like. For me I am glad that I went with the RT instead of another Tracker
    How was docking and backing frustrating with the pt175? Never seemed any different than any other boat ive driven. None of them back up too great honestly.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    I have no doubts that my experience with the docking and close quarters handling, especially backing down, with the 175TXW are going to be 180 degree's from a few here but those comments where from my own experiences. It takes forever to make a slow, idle or just above, turn in either direction. The hull wants to slide instead of grip and turn. The same issue while backing. The hull is almost impossible to turn to the left while backing. So with that said, I am speaking from my own experiences and I am in no way brand bashing nor looking for a long drown out discussion about hull designs, water physics, nor hydrodynamics. The OP ask for opinions and since I have owned both boats, I gave him just that.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    I have no doubts that my experience with the docking and close quarters handling, especially backing down, with the 175TXW are going to be 180 degree's from a few here but those comments where from my own experiences. It takes forever to make a slow, idle or just above, turn in either direction. The hull wants to slide instead of grip and turn. The same issue while backing. The hull is almost impossible to turn to the left while backing. So with that said, I am speaking from my own experiences and I am in no way brand bashing nor looking for a long drown out discussion about hull designs, water physics, nor hydrodynamics. The OP ask for opinions and since I have owned both boats, I gave him just that.
    Nobody is saying that you are......i was just curious why you felt that way since i never experienced that. If you had the 60 then you had alot less weight in the rear than i did. Mine would turn a very tight circle either way with the wheel locked and the right throttle input.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    i think throttle is the key word. my 175 w 75 doesn't seem to handle as well on idle as my buddy's rt198. that could be hull design, weight from the 150, or what have you. when i'm actually fishing, a lot of reasons people buy different boats kind of disappears to me. i'm comfortable fishing in either.

15. Member
    Just traded a 2010 Tracker 190 in on a 2020 RT188 P on Friday. No regrets whatsoever. IMO, the Tracker ride cant hold a candle to the Ranger. I lost a minute amount of storage due to the gas tank being relocated under the seat. The seat seems about three inches too high for the throttle (longer reach). Other than that i have no complaints. As far as maneuvering, the Ranger handles better in tight spaces. As far as garage parking, the foot print is only slightly bigger. I have no issues. As far as fishing, I don't see that much difference. I think the wind affects the Ranger less. I didn't notice the wind as much in the Ranger as I did in the Tracker

16. Member
    I love my 190, but I do have some regrets. The first being the width of the boat. It's simply not as stable as 94"+ boats. I'm a big guy and with me and my wife in it, it does get a bit tippy, especially when you're on big water. The main reason I bought it though, is that it will fit in my garage (8' door). I didn't want to spend $20k+ on a boat I'd have to store outside.

other things (Cons) -

1. Storage pretty much sucks a$$. The deck layout on the 2019's are much better though...
    2. Pretty much impossible to put on a jack plate/power poles (without voiding your warranty)
    3. The fish finders/TM are pretty much worthless (stock)
    4. Lots of cheap hardware on boat and trailer is the cheapest thing out there...
    5. width (90" Alum boat pretty much sucks to fish out of)

Things I like (Pros)

1. Price - was $6k less than the 188 it was parked next to in the showroom
    2. Width (fits in my garage)
    3. Handles big water well (we've had it on Mille Lacs and Lake Michigan) even in 2-3' waves, I've never felt like I've reached the limit, but I wouldn't go out in more than that.
    4. Its Aluminum - not worried about scratches/dents
    5. Center rod locker (you can get a buttload of rods in there)
    6. Merc Pro XS 4S 115 (that little motor rocks)

All that being said - I do love the boat. The wife and I fish probably 2-4 nights/days a week all summer. We are ready to upgrade (probably in the Spring). I've upgraded a ton of stuff on my 190 and its pretty much sitting where I want it now. Other than the Power Poles/Talons and Jack Plate (I'd like to add them, just no room and warranty). We will probably be upgrading to a 19-20' glass boat this spring, right after we build a carport to store it in!
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades