Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blisters are BS!

I always thought hull blisters were a rare thing until I discovered them on my 3 year old Nitro and I looked more into it. I was pissed to say the least. I currently have boats that are 24 and 11 years old and sold another when it was 10 years old, all of them in and out of the water consistently. NONE of them have or had blisters. And it seems that most manufacturers specifically exclude them for warranty, major BS.

Now we have a shop in Toledo, OH that puts a new coat of resin on the hull and warranties it for life. WTF. You tell me these manufactures that are selling new boats for $50-70k or more cant do this. Don't tell me it is some EPA regulation that the manufacturers are adhering to cuz that is BS too. The Toledo shop would not be able to do what they are doing if it was an EPA thing. It is obviously a flaw in manufacturing.

I would say this warrants some type of class action thing, but who to go after? I guess pick one to set a precedent and then work the others? Just gauging to see if anyone thought of this or already tried.

OK I vented!!

2. Member
    The struggle is real my man.

3. Banned
    Valid rant.

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I guess if you want that chunky resin on the bottom of your boat they could do that ,but in my experience guys want a shiny smooth finish.Its the paint not so much the fiberglass resin that lets moisture in.Sorta like bed liner on the front of your new car bumper and hood ,at least you won’t have rock chips ,but dang it’s ugly!

When laying up a boat the gel is the first thing that goes in and to get colors the gel coat which is just paint is pores and will let some moisture in.Theres just no way around it yes there are better layup material s but none are guaranteed .Now there is a company that has a different way of building a boat called closed cell more of a plastic type material and it’s only available in white so that won’t work for the guys wanting colors.
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 09-18-2019 at 08:10 AM.

5. Member
    there used to be no problem with blisters until the epa got involved an made them them change their formula an thanks to the govt anther industry problem.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    there used to be no problem with blisters until the epa got involved an made them them change their formula an thanks to the govt anther industry problem.
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

7. Scraps
    Good ol' EPA here to help.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Not true we have fixed blisters from the 80s and 90s boats so it’s been around since gel was invented

Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    When did the EPA get involved? Like TOC, I remember blister issues many decades ago?

Here is a good post from a while back. Bass Cat Boats goes through the timeline of EPA involvement:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=571726
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

11. Banned
    For Rangers™ we call them "Speed Bumps"...

12. Member
    Is this problem on the whole hull, our where it sits on the bunks?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Didn't think Rangers and the word speed where allowed in the same sentence? JK

14. Member
    My Skeeter has a few under the Hamby. I put a new guard on and covered em up. Outta sight, outta mind.

15. Member
    Have a 93 javelin 389 full of blisters

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    There is actually something to that, google why golf balls are dimpled
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    and America's Cup hulls some years ago...even got banned

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Is this problem on the whole hull, our where it sits on the bunks?

Typically the bunk area, but can be more.

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Same reason a sharks skin is so rough.

20. mikesxpress

Exclamation

When the EPA ruling to reduce VOC emissions took effect, the % of solids in the gelcoats was affected. While all gelcoats are permeable (can/do pass water) the older high solids products were less prone to osmotic blistering. Some bass boat OEM's now add an epoxy barrier coat during the hull build but only in the bunk contact areas. This "aides" in prevention but does not stop blistering as some tout. Osmotic blistering has been around along time. Marine surveyors have dealt with it for many years on docked boats. Bottom line is any place where water can be trapped against the gelcoat surface for extended periods of time, osmotic blistering can occur. For bass boat folks that is the bunk contact areas, behind the seats, under the trolling motor bracket, inside a livewell that isn't dried properly, graph mounts, etc... I found the start of osmotic blistering on my 2009 Ranger Z21Intracoastal (measles). I had the entire hull stripped, heat dried, barrier coat applied, and gelcoat. The trailer went home with me during the reparations and Gatorbak bunk covers got installed. That was in 2014. Bunks dry in the few minutes ride home from the ramp. No more issues. The other blister prone areas get a thick coat of Flagship wax and that has stopped them.

It's not going away and too many folks buy used rigs without jacking the hull off the bunks to check for blistering. It's up to the boat owner to protect yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast