Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    The only way to prevent hull blisters is to get away from carpeted bunks or by changing to other hull coating in lieu of gelcoat.
    There are companies working on products. Hopefully there will be a bunk in the future that reduces the formation of hull blisters.

Some boats are floated on the trailer, others are powered. This makes material use more complex, as one wont work for all.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

2. mikesxpress
    The Gatorbak XP bunk covers are power loadable and don't allow water to rest against the hull. But they will not work for a BassCat.

I had a 1994 Nitro that I knocked the bottom out of it. When Shoreline lifted it off the trailer to inspect damage there was an 8’ gash but not one single blister. Go figure.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The Gatorbak XP bunk covers are power loadable and don't allow water to rest against the hull. But they will not work for a BassCat.
    Why will they not work with a BassCat?

P01135809

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    This has all been well documented back at the 2004 time line. The penalty for using non MACT compliant materials could likely be more than you will make in your lifetime. A few hundred pound penalty resulted in a $10,000 fine for one manufacturer and the EPA is not bashful when we are thinking in hundreds of thousands of pounds of even millions of pounds.

Yes, the EPA changed the materials we can use, even contact cement for carpeting. Though as a consumer you can still buy the contact cement we used prior at Home Depot, though we legally can’t use it.

The other issue was the recession that hampered R&D funding toward developing new products from a poorly timed regulatory change and the 2007-2010 era. Plus oil prices for materials during MACT transition on the tail of 911, and hurricanes Rita, Katrina and Ike. It was a long time before companies could afford to develop resources.

BCB
    I mean no offense by this comment at all, as I sincerely appreciate how you always respond to so many of the threads on here with factual information. That said, this response sounds like an admission that you knew the products you were using were inferior and going to have blisters, exactly the other posters point. I completely understand the reasoning, bad economy and no money to test or come up with something different, aka bad timing for the EPA change. But, the idea that manufacturers knew it was a problem and sold the boats at 60-90k anyway to unsuspecting consumers is a bit tough to swallow, especially since we are 10 years past the recession now and this very well may be/still is happening?!? (not in anyway specifically speaking of BCB with that comment). How is this still a problem, which it obviously is as NO manufacturer will warrant against them? Boats have been selling like hot cakes for years now at the highest ever prices, money is being made hand over fist, yet no "innovation" is being done in this area, as evidenced by the lack of warranty against blisters. Something ain't right, as this isn't 2004-2010 anymore....
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbsmallie View Post
    I mean no offense by this comment at all, as I sincerely appreciate how you always respond to so many of the threads on here with factual information. That said, this response sounds like an admission that you knew the products you were using were inferior and going to have blisters, exactly the other posters point. I completely understand the reasoning, bad economy and no money to test or come up with something different, aka bad timing for the EPA change. But, the idea that manufacturers knew it was a problem and sold the boats at 60-90k anyway to unsuspecting consumers is a bit tough to swallow, especially since we are 10 years past the recession now and this very well may be/still is happening?!? (not in anyway specifically speaking of BCB with that comment). How is this still a problem, which it obviously is as NO manufacturer will warrant against them? Boats have been selling like hot cakes for years now at the highest ever prices, money is being made hand over fist, yet no "innovation" is being done in this area, as evidenced by the lack of warranty against blisters. Something ain't right, as this isn't 2004-2010 anymore....
    Get out your beakers and create some chemicals that are blister proof, but yet meet EPA regulations, and you will have more money than Johnny Morris in no time.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Why will they not work with a BassCat?
    The rear lip on the hulls will grab the material and it also doesn't offer the cushion it needs once loaded. That would be my guess. You can see the indentation it makes in the carpet with the boat unloaded.
    However, I had the pillow block type of bunk covering (originally came with the boat) and it held up fine to the loading and unloading of the boat. (Where the rear lip is concerned).
    The pillow block itself was a little to tough on the gelcoat. BCB replaced them with carpeted bunks under warranty.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

This has all been well documented back at the 2004 time line. The penalty for using non MACT compliant materials could likely be more than you will make in your lifetime. A few hundred pound penalty resulted in a $10,000 fine for one manufacturer and the EPA is not bashful when we are thinking in hundreds of thousands of pounds of even millions of pounds.

Yes, the EPA changed the materials we can use, even contact cement for carpeting. Though as a consumer you can still buy the contact cement we used prior at Home Depot, though we legally can’t use it.

The other issue was the recession that hampered R&D funding toward developing new products from a poorly timed regulatory change and the 2007-2010 era. Plus oil prices for materials during MACT transition on the tail of 911, and hurricanes Rita, Katrina and Ike. It was a long time before companies could afford to develop resources.

BCB
    I appreciate BCB chiming in on the various issues on this board. Maybe I will get one when I grow up.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

9. Member

Which contact cement is that?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Brush grade DAP Weldwood brand, and Formica brand is also a good one.

You can buy all you want in public for home use, though we legally can not buy the first gallon because of the raw materials in the product.

We wish we could!

Well, by now your pretty much growing out and reducing air space needs overhead...

Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    I appreciate BCB chiming in on the various issues on this board. Maybe I will get one when I grow up.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Is there a single manufacturer that will warranty blisters?
    I believe BassCat does if you purchase the transferable lifetime hull warranty. Blisters are covered with this. Although I'm told they are super rare. I purchased this warranty back when I purchased mine.

13. Member
    [QUOTE=BassCatKev;10547215]I believe BassCat does if you purchase the transferable lifetime hull warranty. Blisters are covered with this. Although I'm told they are super rare. I purchased this warranty back when I purchased mine.[/QUOTE

Taken from the basscat warranty

This warranty does not apply to:
    (1) Any boat which shall have been repaired or altered in any way so as to affect its use and operation.
    (2) Gelcoat cracking, crazing, blistering, fading, discoloring or any similar situation.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I believe BassCat does if you purchase the transferable lifetime hull warranty. Blisters are covered with this. Although I'm told they are super rare. I purchased this warranty back when I purchased mine.

I know they have an optional upgraded hull material, maybe that one is covered? Really like what they do and how they are on the forums to talk to us about all issues. Major respect to BCB!

Blisters are not covered on any bass boat warranty we know of. Within the regular warranty period Bass Cat does work to attempt and treat people right and does many things as a customer service. They have gone over the line to assist within the standard warranty time frame and that depends on the condition of care by the consumer. Our history on customer service is well documented, we can’t fix everyone’s ten year old boat, though we do have reasonable policies.

We work hard to engage consumers on the internet and it’s a sword edge that’s very risky. We don’t know of another company that stands out with consumers and tries to answer questions. We have always attempted to be very transparent and that practice has continued.

16. Banned
    You guys do a great job.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    You guys do a great job.
    +1 for sure

Well, by now your pretty much growing out and reducing air space needs overhead...
    I resemble that remark...
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

19. Member
    All boats warranties in brochures read as follows Cracking / Fading / Blisters are not covered I read this back in 1996 on my Champion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123