Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Here is a good post from a while back. Bass Cat Boats goes through the timeline of EPA involvement:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=571726
    The long explanation BassCat gives on that post pretty much covers the EPA mandated changes and the problems it caused. Great info there. I had them on my 2004 Triton TR196. I hope they dont pop up on my 2018 BassCat.
    Brad Krone

Ok I have an idea that I can't see why it wouldn't work. Normal trailer is good for transportation with plenty of support for the traveling over bs roads. But there is some room left for a few more bunks, bunks that are not in contact with the hull until dry and no longer traveling. These bunks lift the hull off the wet bunks. The extra bunks do not need carpet so they are dry within 15 minutes of leaving the lake
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Ok I have an idea that I can't see why it wouldn't work. Normal trailer is good for transportation with plenty of support for the traveling over bs roads. But there is some room left for a few more bunks, bunks that are not in contact with the hull until dry and no longer traveling. These bunks lift the hull off the wet bunks. The extra bunks do not need carpet so they are dry within 15 minutes of leaving the lake

Or........just buy the rubber bunk liners.

I had an 80's hull that had blisters nowhere near the bunks.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    For Rangers™ we call them "Speed Bumps"...
    Rangers aint fast enough that they matter.

6. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    Didn't think Rangers and the word speed where allowed in the same sentence? JK
    They're not. LewStule, go ahead and take 2 minutes in the penalty box for this blatant infraction!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Blisters can happen on boats that sit in the water for years also under rub rails under seats that stay wet under trolling motors we have even seen them behind the motor where it bolts on.On the mid 80s boats .Has nothing to do with epa it’s a junk product that has a specialty use.Fixed them a couple of years ago on 2 89-90 cats also had a 04 520 with them every where that something touched the gel ,it’s just way of the world.

8. Member
    I love how it's always the big bad EPA. The EPA didn't make them use some inferior product. They didn't say "Hey, you poor, sorry, for-profit boat companies, you can't use that anymore but here, we will give you this to use; you have no choice, even though it's inferior you have to use this and nothing else".

The manufacturers chose to use whatever they are using. I'm no materials expert so I don't know what all options could or should have been looked at as a better alternative/replacement if the "newer" products are contributing to blisters.

If the requirement resulted in a change to the composition of gel coats that affected permeability, and everybody that uses the product just said 'well, this is going to cause problems, but we're going to use it anyway', why wouldn't the next logical question be, why didn't this spur some innovation to address the problem and maybe make something better? After all, it's the consumers hard earned money being handed over to a company that is providing something you see as inferior.

Exactly as the OP eluded to, maybe people should hold the correct entity accountable, the ones that own the problem and should have known, there's a thought.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

9. Member
    hindsight is always better most of the boats that get blisters are found out years after the boat is built.

10. Banned
    Is there a single manufacturer that will warranty blisters?

This has all been well documented back at the 2004 time line. The penalty for using non MACT compliant materials could likely be more than you will make in your lifetime. A few hundred pound penalty resulted in a $10,000 fine for one manufacturer and the EPA is not bashful when we are thinking in hundreds of thousands of pounds of even millions of pounds.

Yes, the EPA changed the materials we can use, even contact cement for carpeting. Though as a consumer you can still buy the contact cement we used prior at Home Depot, though we legally can’t use it.

The other issue was the recession that hampered R&D funding toward developing new products from a poorly timed regulatory change and the 2007-2010 era. Plus oil prices for materials during MACT transition on the tail of 911, and hurricanes Rita, Katrina and Ike. It was a long time before companies could afford to develop resources.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I love how it's always the big bad EPA. The EPA didn't make them use some inferior product. They didn't say "Hey, you poor, sorry, for-profit boat companies, you can't use that anymore but here, we will give you this to use; you have no choice, even though it's inferior you have to use this and nothing else".

The manufacturers chose to use whatever they are using. I'm no materials expert so I don't know what all options could or should have been looked at as a better alternative/replacement if the "newer" products are contributing to blisters.

If the requirement resulted in a change to the composition of gel coats that affected permeability, and everybody that uses the product just said 'well, this is going to cause problems, but we're going to use it anyway', why wouldn't the next logical question be, why didn't this spur some innovation to address the problem and maybe make something better? After all, it's the consumers hard earned money being handed over to a company that is providing something you see as inferior.

Exactly as the OP eluded to, maybe people should hold the correct entity accountable, the ones that own the problem and should have known, there's a thought.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 09-19-2019 at 08:37 PM.

12. Member
    The EPA restriction on manufacturers (not just boats) doesn't always apply to service or the repair industry side. I can name a few instances like this.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

13. Member
    If my basscat Sabre develops blisters I will be making a trip to Toledo Fiberglass. Then again, I don't guess I will ever know if it has blisters or not because I'm not going to the trouble of looking.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    drop your boat in the lake while your swimming and rub you foot on the bottom you will know if it does or dont.

15. Member
    Jacked my 06 Triton TRx off the trailer 3 yrs ago and sure enough bad blisters. Had gator hull installed no more problems with blisters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    Sounds like for the money a Tin boat is what i'd be looking at. Doesn't matter whose fault it is to me, to have blisters on your hull that you have to pay for after spending 60 to 90 thousand on a boat would be unacceptable to me.

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Is there a single manufacturer that will warranty blisters?
    Not that I'm aware of.

18. Member
    If resin/gelcoat manufacturers can't warranty against blisters, how could boat builders possibly warranty against blisters?

19. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Tracker tried to get us a good looking aluminum boat the Avalanche with its no sharp bends it looked like glass but it just never took off.

I’ve got a 9 year old Sterling with no blisters and no stress cracks anywhere , would be easy to see with no carpet . It’s a very solid hull to say the least , but so was my 2006 Ranger . I feel bad for someone who is dealing with this problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast