Thread: Epoxy question

Epoxy question

I'm using the 635 thin epoxy, 3:1, from us composites. Yesterday i mixed two batches of putty/peanut butter, using cabosil. Keep in mind, this is my first time doing this.
    First batch got hot, in what I consider a short amount of time. This was in the afternoon, temperature around 90°. Mixed a second batch, in the evening, lower temperature. The putty never did get hot/warm. Checked on it this morning, it's still tacky. Temperature got down to 65° last night.
    Did I mess up the mixing ratio? Are temps that important on set times?
    As for the second batch, that's still tacky, will it cure? Or do I need to remove it, redo. If so, will it just pull out?

2. Member
    all resins and gels will kick quicker in hot temps. As long as you mixed it correctly it will cure.

3. Member
    Like APS said as long as you got the ratios right you're good. I did a lot of work a couple of months ago using both Bondo resin and Total Boat Polyester resin (both use MEKP) and even the difference between 90 deg/in the sun and 80 deg/in the shade made a big difference in working time. When it was really hot I was only mixing like 2oz at a time.

4. Member
    Thank you Both!

5. Member
    Well crap. Just got home. It's still tacky. Let it sit awhile longer?

6. Member
    How large of an area? I use old work lights to warm an area to finish curing epoxy when the job is still tacky. Epoxy is not like vinylester or polyester resin. I only use West Systems which has pump dispensers and different hardener cure rates. All quality epoxies have an advantage as curing takes place regardless of temp, it's more a time thing. The esters need the heat from the reaction to chemically cure to the engineered properties. I took a painting class from Jon Kosmoski the inventor of house of Kolor paint systems and he made a very good point, most paint jobs fail at the bench. His point, the painter did not mix the paint enough. The epoxy must be mixed very well. Put some low grade heat on it or put it in the sun. I have had transoms that I used the extra slow hardener take 3-4 days before tack free. The hotter and faster projects cure the more brittle it is. Slower curing is desirable if possible. If you mixed it completely it will cure fully. I hope this is helpful.

7. Member
    Rojoguio - thank you. And your correct, I didn't mix properly. I called us composites. Replayed, in my mind, what I did (actually didn't do). I didn't mix properly.

8. Member
    I put the boat in the sun, for two days, no luck. Ambient temperature got too 90° both afternoons, full sun. That's when I called for help. Glad I did.
    I was only mixing a total of 4 ounces, 3oz of resin 1 oz of hardener. And added cabosil. For a 3:1. I had bought their 635 hardener/resin, medium if I remember correctly.

9. Member
    I've pulled a lot rabbits out of my hat over the years to save a mistake in a job but this I have not done. If the manufacturer gave you any suggestions on how to proceed getting the epoxy to fully cure please post it here so others will know.

10. Member
    The advice on how to get it to cure? Remove what Id applied. Most of it was easy to remove. Then use acetone too clean it up.

11. Member
    Add surfacing wax to get a hard tack free cure.

12. Member
    Question on the surfacing wax, will adding another layer later, bond to it? With the wax having been added ?
    If so, how much wax is added?

13. Member
    Wax is for ester resins only. Then only on last application of ester resins.

14. Member
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    The advice on how to get it to cure? Remove what Id applied. Most of it was easy to remove. Then use acetone too clean it up.
    Been there... done that. After several days with no noticeable change in tackiness, I realized my mixing mistake. Peeling out the component that was being bedded in, was like pulling a brick out of a bucket of cold, sticky honey... a real mess!
    But in the end, the proper mix ended with perfect results. Right, the second time. lol.

16. Member
    It's definitely an art!