Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

Once again Don comes to the rescue

Those of you living in and around the Greenville/Hartwell/Anderson area are lucky to have Don Weed & European marine as your local Mercury dealership. I vacation at Hartwell each year for the past 8 years and Don gets my rig for a day (scheduled prior to our arrival) to perform annual service on my Merc 300XS. This years appt was scheduled for next Monday. Usually we do it the first Monday so we would have left the boat on the trailer for the next mornings drive to European

This year started out no so good. We arrive Sunday late in the day. Monday morning early i drop the boat in the water and idle into the cove where we are staying. Alls fine. My wife drove the trailer back to the house, I walked up from the dock and unhooked the trailer

I'm back down to the boat, start the motor and after a minute or so it shuts off. OK now what? Pull the cover off and see a wet fuel line so I pull it, trim some line off and install a new zip tie. no more leaking. And motor still does not start.

Now my scheduled appt is next Monday and Don is not at his shop till later in the day due to prior commitments so I start calling local marinas and they are all too busy. I understand. One gives me a former employee's phone number who does work at his home. I call him and he is willing to see me that night. So I tell the wife we are boatless bank trash for now. I go back up to the house hook up the trailer so my wife can drive it back down the road to the ramp. I troll the baot back out the cove and put it back on trailer and back to the house.

About 2:00 or so I call European to tell him whats going on and he tells me to bring it right up!! Huh?? I knew he was out of office for the morning and booked for the afternoon. He explains this other guy may not be able to get it running and my appt with Don is not till next Monday so am i going to waste a week sitting around??

We hop in the truck (staying in a house off of Providence Church road) and head on up to route 85. We get to the traffic light by Lake Hartwell Tackle and a truck next to me is blowing the horn like crazy and yelling to me. I've got a flat on the trailer. I pull into the tackle shop parking lot, look at the flat and I have no tire. It's laying on the highway where I was stopped. I borrow a jack, my ramp/wheel chock is back at the house in the yard, change it out with spare and get back on highway. i get to Don after 4:00, talk a while and head back to Anderson and receive a call from him just as we are getting off 85 and he fixed it!!!!

Picked it up next morning and dropped it in lake again and all'S well. Drove the trailer back to tire shop in Anderson where I bought the tires 2 years prior and told him I wanted new tires but better ones this time.

You guys in SC near Don are lucky to have him!!!

Thanks to Don I'm not sitting around for a week drinking beer everyday.

THANK YOU DON!!!
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Awesome. Wish I had a shop like Don's nearby.

What was the fix?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Awesome. Wish I had a shop like Don's nearby.

What was the fix?
    Your not kidding same here also

4. Member
    For those of us not so fortunate to be near Don OR vacation near him, we do at least have his awesome expertise at our fingertips, which I'm especially grateful for.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    For those of us not so fortunate to be near Don OR vacation near him, we do at least have his awesome expertise at our fingertips, which I'm especially grateful for.

Same for Savage and Joe!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    It was a high pressure hose fitting in the fuel pump. I think that's what it was. Don can tell further info.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member

Same for Savage and Joe!
    Amen to that!!!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    We do appreciate Don, Joe, Savage, and Silverfox for their guidance and expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Those of you living in and around the Greenville/Hartwell/Anderson area are lucky to have Don Weed & European marine as your local Mercury dealership.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post

Same for Savage and Joe!

To all of the above!
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It was the sleeve on the HP Fuel Pump (inside the VST). Split open, dumping fuel pressure pressure back into the VST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    thanks guys nice to be appreciated, im sure a lot of you on here are just as good at what you do for a living as we are at ours and I know theres a lot that are much smarter than I , and in this industry there are so many people that are taken advantage of its a shame , I just think it doesn't hurt to try and help a few folks out with the same intrest as I have had and been blessed to enjoy as a career ,my days are numbered in this field and I am hoping to enjoy what I have poured most of my life into pretty soon, that's why I do this see ya JOE 54
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Well said!!!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    We do appreciate Don, Joe, Savage, and Silverfox for their guidance and expertise.
    I'm not in their league, not by a long shot, but am humbled by your appreciation.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It was the sleeve on the HP Fuel Pump (inside the VST). Split open, dumping fuel pressure pressure back into the VST.
    We have seen and heard of this happening numerous times, is the fix the same stock sleeve, or is there a better DYI engineered solution?