Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    fishnfireman, I'm not looking to solve the reason why the battery will shut down after a certain amount of voltage is exceeded.
    I'm looking for you to backup what you say about my motor shutting down at high speeds when the battery shuts itself off. .
    So who do I believe?
    fishnfireman,

Now you report that "I've been told it has already happened".
    Why don't you have your " authority" post personally this information. Second hand and third hand information has known not to be accurate. Once again I'm posting my personal experience as well as first hand known information from the source itself.
    Do as you please, follow who's information you please; I've only tried to be of help. No one on this or any other thread has personally reported a "Engine Shut Down", that I have read.
    fishnfireman, so have them post exactly what happened, so all can read it.
    Safety is first with me also.
    I'm not a battery salesman.
    Do as you please.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Breaking news !! Chinese Tariffs will most likely hit the lithium battery market in mid October. IONIC is the lowest priced and most economical, with the best features of all batteries available right "NOW"
    Pull the trigger and get your set of IONICs at a great low price now before the tariffs come into play. Don't forget the Bluetooth App available for your new IONICs. Plus IONIC has a great set of main battery Terminals to get your wiring in great order, neat and very clean!! Don't let a great deal get away, IONIC today!! If I can help give me a PM.
    Sounds like a battery salesman to me!!

2. Member
    It seems to me that perhaps battery manufacturers didn't think that overvoltage from the motor charging would be much of an issue. I certainly never gave it much thought until now. These engine based charging systems are supposed to have voltage regulation as an inherent part of the system. Now random failures, sure, that will happen but excess voltage under normal operating conditions, or even as the new "normal" condition of the system, who knew. Maybe with the decision to recommend only AGM it has to do with loss of electrolyte from overcharging on a wet cell, would be interesting to find that out.

Perhaps if they had known, part of the BMS would involve some sort of voltage regulator so that if the voltage from the motor did spike, it could be bled off as heat while still maintaining current to the battery. That doesn't seem too difficult, I could be wrong. But I am not blaming anyone for not incorporating such a system, it seems like an unknown that has been brought to light with wider spread use of this battery technology. There is no question that the technology exists to regulate voltage, that's clear enough. Maybe a new generation of BMS that can incorporate voltage regulation would be a good thing for dealing with voltage issues on the high end anyway. The interaction between the lithium battery and the motor probably needs to be "smarter". No question, lithium batteries have to be properly protected to prevent a catastrophe but it seems like it should be manageable. Gonna have to sit back and watch this evolve, I don't have much else to add at this point.

I just wanted to add that though in theory regulating voltage from the motor to the battery seems like a good idea, it may be totally impractical due to the amperage these motors can put out. I have no idea, I come up with stuff, it may be totally useless.....story of my life.....
    Last edited by 1bluemcm; 10-02-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

3. Member
    Don Weed IS extremely busy right now, but I'm sure he will set the record straight in the very near future!

4. Banned
    Jerry/RangerZ, I must have missed it. What is your position, ownership or relationship with Lithiumhub?

5. Member
    Well crap!!!!!

I just noticed two of my buddies have flooded cell batteries on there new 4-strokes. Should they be concerned for there safety and others?????

6. Member
    No, they should not.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    RangerZ... not even bothering to quote you, as I feel it is beyond DANGEROUS to continue putting some of those statements in print.

Speaking SPECIFICALLY of your "friend's" 250 ProXS Fourstroke that you claim continued to run fine after the battery was disconnected:

-The engine is, EVEN in a Mechanical Shift/Throttle Model Number, a DTS (Digital Throttle and Shift) Engine at it's core. The ignition coils, two fuel pumps, six fuel injectors, starter, main power relay, trim relays, PCM, Voltage Regulator in the Alternator, Throttle Actuator, Shift Actuator, and a full array of sensors onboard the engine all require voltage from the battery to operate. The Alternator's job is NOT to power the engine. It's job is to "maintain the fully charged state of ONE Proper Type, Properly Rated, and Fully Charged Cranking Battery".

-The Engine's PCM monitors Battery Voltage constantly. In the event of LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE, the PCM will enable ENGINE GUARDIAN, and limit Available Power based on the severity of the low voltage event. This includes limiting power to as little as 3% available power in FORWARD GEAR (forced idle). Complete loss of battery would cause this, especially at high RPM's.

-In addition to the above features, the MPR (Main Power Relay) requires an absolute bare minimum voltage of 9.5 VDC to keep the contacts closed. If the contacts open- the engine dies, story over.

-These engines are equipped with an Idle Charge Strategy, which is a PCM Programmed Feature that monitors battery charge condition, and ramps up engine idle speed when or where necessary to provide additional charging output over a shorter period of time. This feature's programming is based on a specific battery design/profile, which would be the battery type specified by the manufacturer (AGM).

-Amperage demands of the engine ramp up as the engine RPM's increase. While some components utilize virtually the same amperage/load, others (such as fuel pumps, ignition coils and injectors) consume exponentially more current. While the alternator's output is increased with engine RPM's, we must remember that the alternator does NOT power the electronics (the battery does).

-One other BIG consideration: Some of the rigs involved in fishing have more than one engine involved. These rigs are often equipped with a BATTERY ISOLATOR (and in many such cases, the alternator is bypassing the engine harness, through an isolator, and then to the BATTERIES). So the engine may react quite differently in such a situation.

In short- and as I stated earlier, I strongly recommend utilizing the AGM Battery type, with AMPLE capacity for these engines (as per the manufacturer's recommendation).

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks Don for the FACTUAL reply!

9. Member
    Will Lithiumhub / Ionic step up if issues are occurred with using their batteries for cranking? Support is my BIG question.
    Last edited by mwbass; 10-11-2019 at 06:26 PM.

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwbass View Post
    Will Lithiumhub / Ionic step up if issues are occurred with using their batteries for cranking? Support is my BIG question.
    absolutely, they are and anyone will be taken care of if they purchased or purchase a battery and it doesn't suit there needs.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234