Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After 10 years in a kayak ...

... it was time for a change. I had a blast kayak fishing and have no plans on getting rid of either of my two kayaks, but started looking into these a few months back and got the bug.

14' Meyers Sportspal. Designed for fishing and hunting, it's a very stable platform. The ability to not just be able to stand up, but go through the motions of fishing without tipping was the deciding factor for me. Earlier this season while I was still researching these, I came across another fisherman on the lake who had one so I got an unbiased opinion and saw first hand how stable it was when he stood up and rocked it side to side without ever coming close to tipping. That pretty much cemented the deal for me. The ability to stand and stretch the legs and be able to cover much more water, plus all the extra room are just a few advantages over a traditional kayak.

It actually weighs about 6-7 lbs less than my 12' kayks, they're about 65 lbs, this is listed as 58 lbs. with a 650 lb capacity. It's all aluminum with reinforcing ribs and a dense foam liner, which makes for a quiet ride. The foam sponsons on the sides are an additional measure of stability. Mine has a 30 lb Minnkota powered by a group 27 Duracell deep cycle battery which should be way more than enough for a long day.

It'll be a week before I get out in it as I'm on call for work ... man that's just mean.

Here's a link to the Meyers site - https://www.meyersboat.com/#/sportspal/

Ranting incoherently

Congrats!! .. on having a much stronger back than mine !! Love fishing the smaller less pressured waters but my back can no longer take canoes and kayaks... been able to go out in a pond prowler as they sit a little higher

Have a blast nice set up !!

3. Member
    My late friend had one. I fished a lot of creeks with him in Ohio. Very easy to maneuver and a very stable platform. If I was going to fish out of a canoe that would be the one that I would buy.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Congrats!! .. on having a much stronger back than mine !! Love fishing the smaller less pressured waters but my back can no longer take canoes and kayaks... been able to go out in a pond prowler as they sit a little higher

Have a blast nice set up !!
    Not being able to stand in the kayak is what would get me all kinked up, especially if my back started singing to me. If I can alternate standing and sitting I'll be ahead of the game.
    Ranting incoherently

5. Member
    interesting that it is that light

6. Member
    Congratulations on the new ride.
    Praying for a Cure

That’s a nice rig.

A few friends and I went on a kayak ride down a local river here. Took about 3 hours. I couldn't wait to get out of that thing at the end. Granted, it wasn't a real high-dollar one, but my back was killing me. That canoe looks a lot more comfy! Congrats!
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

9. Member
    Congrats on the new ride. I find it interesting that some fishermen are making the full circle from canoes to kayaks back to canoes. I skipped the kayak stage and just stayed with the canoe. I can stand and flycast in my 18' Tripper but it's 85-90# so it's a load if you want to haul it through he woods.

10. Member
    Looks great, but at my age, getting out is hard for me ?

11. Member
    Twofootitus can get ya at any time LOL. That looks to be a serious fishing machine. I'd need rollers or something to get it around, but you likely already have everything after fishing the yaks for so long. Congrats!

12. Member
    Congrats & enjoy good luck.

Nice rig. Now lets get some slime on it.

14. Member
    What kind of battery case is that?

15. Member
    Nice, that would be real handy to have for the ponds and streams around here.

16. Member
    that's a sweet rig..enjoy

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakalong View Post
    interesting that it is that light
    My old town canoe weighs 48lbs, we carry it into backwoods ponds that are miles into remote wilderness, like 15-20 miles in either direction before you hit paved roads. A buddy of mine has a 36lb radisson canoe that he uses for that stuff too. Canoes can be a lot lighter than kayaks it all depends on the material used. I’ve seen some that are around 20lbs but you’re paying thousands for it.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

18. Banned
    Nice rig

wow that looks like the hunting rig I have been looking for! currently hunting out of an ascend H10 but that s12 or s13 may be the deal for me. Let me know how you like it versus the kayak!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    What kind of battery case is that?
    Minnkota trolling motor power center. Has a 60 amp breaker on the positive side, two 12 volt cigarette lighter ports for accessories and a charge indicator.
    Ranting incoherently

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast