2000 champion battery upgrade

Has anyone figured out to fit a bigger cranking battery in the Champions? Currently 24 group and need a bigger one. It seems impossible, just looking for ideas. Currently 2018 Mercury 200 and running 2 HDS live 12s.

Thanks

2. Member
    What model boat? There's more than one, and each model had a bit different arrangement for batteries.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

3. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    Here a bad picture of a 2000 champion 202 with a 1250 cranking battery and 3 group 31 trolling motor batteries. I did this about two years ago. The batteries are coming out today and will be replaced with Ionics lithium batteries. 1 12v bb3.jpg/125 starting battery and 3 12v 100ah trolling batteries.
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

4. Member
    2000 202

5. Member
    Looks like the same setup. I have my cranking in the middle. Just got my 2000 202 back in April. Added HDS lives so need to figure something out

6. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    I used memory foam squeezed as tight as i could wrapped with Kevlar tape, Never moved at all in two years. I also put a battery mat under the two batteries on there ends.I am upgrading to Lithium this week and will post a picture. I also ordered a 1.8 gallon oil tank to give me a extra 6 inches.
    2016 250 pro
    tempest 27 work by Steve

7. Member
    Post pics when you get it all squared away. What size TM shaft do you have? Probably down the road I need a longer one with her sitting high.

Man they didn't give much room in the 202s. My 2000 187 has tons of room for batteries.I keep them behind the seats in the smaller compartments, (on each side of the gas tank) and my gas tank hatch is very roomy also. I wonder why the made them so different....
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

9. Member
    I have 4 group 31's in my '97 with the smaller oil tank (1.8 gal??) shoved in the middle. Real pain to get it all in there but it can be done. I dont have the onboard charger in there either so that is a negative but hasn't been too much of a nuisance so far. Will probably try and clean up some of the wires back there this winter while I wait for the lakes to freeze.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

10. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    I have a 36 volt Ulterra. Best move i ever made for fishing offshore. I am waiting on the 1.8 gallon tank to get here. Will post pictures when done. Batteries are in taking a test ride in the morning.
    It is so easy to remove the batteries now that they are so light. Lithium Ionic.
    2016 250 pro
    tempest 27 work by Steve

Bump this thread back up to the top for more info.... im in the market for ALL new batteries and am looking for suggestions... REALLY would love to be able afford Lithiums but not going to happen... im running 1 cranking battery and 2 for my 24v trolling motor, i have 2 7" graphs so not alot of power drawn out. I currently run 3 Duracell 31 AGMs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Bump this thread back up to the top for more info.... im in the market for ALL new batteries and am looking for suggestions... REALLY would love to be able afford Lithiums but not going to happen... im running 1 cranking battery and 2 for my 24v trolling motor, i have 2 7" graphs so not alot of power drawn out. I currently run 3 Duracell 31 AGMs
    Great info from Don weed:
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....batteries+meet

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    Man they didn't give much room in the 202s. My 2000 187 has tons of room for batteries.I keep them behind the seats in the smaller compartments, (on each side of the gas tank) and my gas tank hatch is very roomy also. I wonder why the made them so different....
    Same on my 07 210. Of course they moved the tank forward to under and behind the seats. I think that has created a balance issue since it seems to be more sensitive to trim & speed more so than my 201 was. Kinda afraid to looking at Lithium since I need all the weight I can get in the rear. There is room to the left of the upper battery (port) to put another battery or relocate the oil tank with a remote fill. The two yellow caps in the lower left are the Power Pole pump reservoirs.

20200328_155445a.jpg

Shot from the port side showing group 29 cranking battery, power switch for outboard and Power Poles and remote drain. TM batteries (green tops) are group 27s.

20200328_155503a.jpg

No need for a battery upgrade just yet... pulled all 3 if my batteries and had them checked... and all are still good going from 90% to 94% on full charge... my cranking battery is a group 34 agm Duracell (not 31) and she's still at 78%... so since i don't run alot of graph power and don't startup and shutdown and startup again and again... i think i will make it thru this season and save up my coins for a new GHOST trolling motor

15. TJNYSNP
    My 2000 203 is *totally* different... i have a huge single gas tank in the center area with only air above my bildge area. Then i have 2 small compartments on the left and right side of that central area where 2 batteries are on each side.

You guys are lucky with all the space you have... seems like the 2000 202 is even more space in center for batteries and not a gas tank