Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Echomap Ultra 126SV & the GT15M-IH and UHD 54 Transducers

I just spoke with Garmin support about connecting these two transducers to my 126SV with the Y cable I purchased. Well come to find out the UHD54 is not supported with the Y cable, but the GT15M is. The tech said there is really no way to connect two transducers, outside of one being Panopitx, to this unit. So you can't have one to read while running and being able to use the UHD features while idling around. This is sad for a unit that cost $2800. I hope they will come out with a new Y cable in the future to support this. My grip for the day!

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I had the gt 52 it’s not supported either so I ordered a gt30 +15 and it actually works as good if not better than my uhd on my 106.

3. Member
    The GT30 doesn't do UHD does it?

Wow, sure wish I had know that before I bought these units to put on my new boat... going in for rigging Thursday. I would have thought that would have been an obvious need.... so now I have to choose between the features of the UHD transducer or having the ability to read while on plane. Very disappointed to say the least.

My question now.... I have 2 Units at the console and a 3rd at the bow. Can I run the GT15 to one unit at the console and then run the GT 54 to the other unit. And then network everything together?

would appreciate any advice
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

5. Member
    Yes. When you have 2 or 3 units, you can connect as many transducers as you have connectors on the units and share those across the network. When you have only 1 unit with one 12 pin transducer port you have to deal with that limitation. The last I heard the Y-cable that works for the GT30-GT15 setup also works with the GT34UHD. The Y cable only woroks on combo transducers that do not have the 2d element built in. That's GT30 and GT34. It means the Y cable will not work with GT50,51,52 or 54.

The Ultras have a lot more flexibility, having UHD built in, but the Y-cable limitation still applies. It wouldn't bother me as it can use the GT34UHD that I consider better UHD than the GT54UHD and with the Y-cable connect the GT-15 that I believe to be Garmin's best 2d.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    I thing afirmative, YES, you need have a Garmin Ethernet Network

you can share transductors yf both consoles are ECHOMAP and are connected to same ethernet network

in this forum can see info

in manuals user pdf http://static.garmin.com/pumac/echoM...0_90_OM_EN.pdf

page 21 says

Sonar SharingThis feature may not be available on all chartplotter models.You can view the sonar data from other compatible ECHOMAPmodels connected on the Garmin Marine Network.Each chartplotter on the network can display sonar data fromevery compatible sonar module and transducer on the network,no matter where the chartplotters and transducers are mountedon your boat. For example, from one ECHOMAP Plus 93svdevice mounted at the back of the boat, you can view the sonardata from another ECHOMAP Plus device and Garmin ClearVütransducer mounted at the front of your boat.When sharing sonar data, the values of some sonar settings,such as Range and Gain, are synchronized across the deviceson the network. The values of other sonar settings, such as theAppearance settings, are not synchronized and should beconfigured on each individual device. In addition, the scroll ratesof the various traditional and Garmin ClearVü sonar views aresynchronized to make the split views more cohesive.NOTE: Using multiple transducers simultaneously can createcross talk, which can be removed by adjusting the Interferencesonar setting.
    Last edited by EA1EF; 09-17-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Yes. When you have 2 or 3 units, you can connect as many transducers as you have connectors on the units and share those across the network. When you have only 1 unit with one 12 pin transducer port you have to deal with that limitation. The last I heard the Y-cable that works for the GT30-GT15 setup also works with the GT34UHD. The Y cable only woroks on combo transducers that do not have the 2d element built in. That's GT30 and GT34. It means the Y cable will not work with GT50,51,52 or 54.

The Ultras have a lot more flexibility, having UHD built in, but the Y-cable limitation still applies. It wouldn't bother me as it can use the GT34UHD that I consider better UHD than the GT54UHD and with the Y-cable connect the GT-15 that I believe to be Garmin's best 2d.
    Thanks you sir for the detailed explanation? Curious as to what the difference is between the GT34 and GT54... I assumed the 54 was new and improved?
    USAF Retired

Quote Originally Posted by EA1EF View Post
    Creo que es afirmativo, SÍ, you need have a Garmin Ethernet Network

Puede compartir sensores si ambas consolas son series ECHOMAP and are connected to same ethernet network
    sorry my Spanish is lacking, but I did get SI, affirmative and network
    just got your added information... exactly what I needed. Thanks again!
    Last edited by J D; 09-17-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    USAF Retired

9. Member
    New and improved......maybe.....maybe not. Depends on what you are looking for and which specific performance attribute means the most to you.
    2d: GT34 doesn't have 2d. GT54 does. For some, that is decisive in favor of the GT54.
    ClearVu: Both are non-UHD chirp around 800 kHz. GT34 0.74x45 cone. GT54 0.94x60 cone. The GT54 is shorter giving a larger front-to-back cone.
    SideVu: GT34 is UHD only chirping around 1100kHz, 0.44x55 cone. GT54 on UHD is 1.62x50 cone. That's quite a difference in the front to back cone 0.44 vs 1.62.
    So if your number one criteria is the best detail Garmin offers on SideVu, that would be the GT34
    Watts: GT34 is 500 watts on ClearVu and SideVu. GT54 is 350. That extra power reaches farther.
    But, the GT54 also does non-UHD SideVu on 455 and does it pretty good. So having that option could be important to some people. If it is, that rules the GT34 out.
    I look at the GT54 as being very much like the GT52 transducer. A good general purpose combo transducer with 2d, ClearVu and SideVu. As an extra, it has UHD on SideVu useful at close ranges. The UHD on the GT54 is not as good as the UHD on the GT34.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Thanks for the great summary of the two. So much to learn and understand. I guess since the units come with the 54 I’ll stick with it, can always swap out later if I need to.
    USAF Retired

11. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Iam really thinking of getting a 34 for my 1242 .Iam just wondering if the 54 is kinda of a lesser transducer like lvs12.I am not impressed with the 54 on the 106.

12. Member
    GT54UHDTM According to the transducer chart it shows the 54 has 500W on side and down.
    350 on the high wide 2D. Am I looking at this right?
    I just bought a 126SV Ultra today with the 54 transducer. I should like the high wide 2D.
    I am kinda old school, like looking at the arcs when searching for fish.
    amazingly clear high wide CHIRP
    traditional sonar. Includes 455 kHz
    CHIRP SideVu for extended range, all
    in a single compact transducer.
    010-12909-00 $349.99
    CHIRP High-Wide
    (150-240 kHz)
    UHD ClearVü/
    SideVü
    UHD ClearVü 800
    kHz (760-880)
    CHIRP ClearVü 455
    kHz (425-485)
    UHD SideVü
    1200 kHz
    (1060-1170)
    CHIRP SideVü
    455 kHz (425-485)
    CHIRP
    350 W
    ClearVü/
    SideVü
    500 W
    CHIRP 24-16
    UHD ClearVü
    0.94x60
    @800
    UHD SideVü
    0.64x52
    @1200
    CHIRP SideVü
    1.62x50
    CHIRP
    800 ft
    ClearVü
    200 ft
    SideVü
    500 ft
    UHD
    SideVü

13. Member
    Here is the link I looked at for the GT54UHD
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/660816#specs

And here is a screenshot of the specs at that link.

I found where your info came from. It the 2019 Transducer Selection Guide at this link.
    https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/t...tion_guide.pdf

I've also included a screenshot from that source.

I don't have an answer for the discrepancy. It does say 500w for ClearVu/SideVu there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 09-17-2019 at 08:34 PM.

14. Member
    I'm run a gt-30 a uhd gt-34 and a Gt-8 thru the hull all on one unit
    IMG_20190906_093452589.jpg

15. Member
    Thanks for all the great info guys... Guess I might have to get the GT34 or swap cables all day..

Just to be absolutely clear, yes with the Ultra units the GT34 is compatible with the y-cable configuration with either the GT8 or GT15 IH transducers. As with previous echomap units though, you can only have one source of 2D traditional since there is only one sonar port on the units. This is why the GT54 is not compatible in this y-cable configuration (as this transducer also has 2D).

As was discussed above, if you have two Ultra units at the console, of course it is best to have the in hull transducer plugged into one and the GT34 transducer into the other. Note that with this two unit setup, you could also use a GT52/54 in conjunction with a GT8 in the hull. Then you would simply source your units to whichever 2D transducer you wanted to run.
    Garmin Pro Team

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Just to be absolutely clear, yes with the Ultra units the GT34 is compatible with the y-cable configuration with either the GT8 or GT15 IH transducers. As with previous echomap units though, you can only have one source of 2D traditional since there is only one sonar port on the units. This is why the GT54 is not compatible in this y-cable configuration (as this transducer also has 2D).

As was discussed above, if you have two Ultra units at the console, of course it is best to have the in hull transducer plugged into one and the GT34 transducer into the other. Note that with this two unit setup, you could also use a GT52/54 in conjunction with a GT8 in the hull. Then you would simply source your units to whichever 2D transducer you wanted to run.
    So from this I take it, I can use the Y cable with the GT15 and GT34 since the GT34 doesn’t have 2D capability. It would just be for UHD side imaging? Maybe one day I can add another 126sv to the console.

Quote Originally Posted by gibby View Post
    So from this I take it, I can use the Y cable with the GT15 and GT34 since the GT34 doesn’t have 2D capability. It would just be for UHD side imaging? Maybe one day I can add another 126sv to the console.
    Yes, correct.
    Garmin Pro Team

19. Member
    I just wanted to say that this information and others pieces on his forum concerning Garmin has been really enlightening, unfortunately for me, learning a little too late as I just purchased the Ultra 106sv along with the GT15 & installed everything this weekend but looks like I will be replacing the GT54 with the GT34 now! Even tho its a little extra work & money its better to know now before I hit the water, switching from Humminbird (at least 1 unit for now) & excited to use the console unit next year.

20. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I ran 106 54 next to my gt 30 1242 had a buddy with me ,we both said there is absolutely no difference in picture between the 2 .In fact the uhd could not pick a no wake bouy cable and the gt30 did .It also lost picture after in got deep than 30 and farther than 50-60 feet out.To me it’s not better at anything .I bought a uhd 34 for my 1242 still don’t really like it as my gt30 will do everything a lot better.Ill keep playing with it and see if there’s a magic setting but as of now not!
    plus with gt 30 +gt8 I get both worlds and high speed plus I don’t have to worry about knocking that high dollar transducer off.

now with all this info maybe the 8600 series will be the ticket as it’s true UHD screen resolution.That will be my next step in seeing if I can improve on what I have now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast