Need help on St claire

This weekend I will be going to my sons baseball game Friday the 20th at Wayne State. I will be bringing up my 18.5 " Ranger and would like to smallmouth fish on St. Claire Saturday the 21st. . This will be my first time on the water and would like to stay for now on the Michigan side. I don't know the water at all and am hoping I can get some direction not only on spots, tackle, launch sites but also on where I can stay with my boat that is close to the college with a boat. I understand that the Canadian side is pretty hot now but would be happy for this trip having a fun day on the Michigan side. I will gladly repay anyone with information on fishing the Chicago area lakes and rivers.

Crankin

2. Member
    For $10.00 I'd launch here and run north to the mile roads, its about 30min from WS. You could launch down river a ways too and run up to LSC or down to Erie. Erie has a great SMB fishing as well. The launch is free and kind of shady...
    9 to 12 FOW, crank baits, small swim baits, Ned rigs, topwater, drop shot and tubes in natural colors (or green pumpkin) will get it done if the water is clear. If the water is muddy, bold colors maybe add a under spin to the mix.

Sorry. Missed the line about staying with your boat... You'd be better of going further north to Harley or south to Bolles on lake Erie.
    Last edited by adb1228; 09-19-2019 at 09:51 AM.

3. Member
    I'm not sure where I'd stay down near Wayne State, I'm much more comfortable on Hall Rd near Macomb. For launching I'd use Harley Ensign, they have the largest launch and it's very safe. That will put you right at Anchor bay which is where I'd focus on especially with a 18.5 foot boat and being new to the lake. Tubes, dropshot, small swimbaits will all work. Stay safe and good luck!!!

4. Member
    I will be staying at the north end of anchor bay. If anyone has spots and technique s that would be great

5. Member
    Fish the break lines from where the north channel empties into the lake all the way over to strawberry island. Crankbait bite should be decent along with the usual tubes and drop shot. Try and find some isolated weed beds along and near the break line. That is about all I can offer as I haven't been out much at all. The times I have been able to get out were spent in canadian water. It has been pretty tough fishing for me when I have been able to get out.

Crankin,

I've been trying to private message you, but it says you have exceeded your amount of space and can't receive and messages until you clear some space. This is the brief version I typed the 3rd time. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin
    I saw your video and it was great. I'm coming up to Detroit to watch my sone play baseball at Wayne State , I would like to bring my Ranger up to get some Small mouth fishing in. I no nothing about St. Clair and would like to fish the Michigan side. Any tips ? Launch? hotels that are safe with boat? Tackle? Anything would be great. I plan to be going up randomly the next two years so I will learn but for now I just would like some starting tips. I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin

Ed

Ed, I apologize. I already sent a message back and it looks like it never went through. Avoid Roseville if you can. I stayed up at the Holiday Inn Express in Selfridge (Clinton Township) I believe. It's safer and they have outlets behind the hotel to plug your boat in. Roseville is getting known for bed bugs! Not to mention theft.

Depending on where you want to fish is where you should launch. Anchor Bay has lots of weeds and there is Selfridge launch site and Harley right there. If you fish down toward Metro Park. You can launch and MetroPark, but they open late at like 8 am. I prefer to use the Crocker Ramp off Jefferson I believe. It's right across from the AW restaurant/ice cream place.

I would hit the huge point that comes out off of Metropark. If you have lot of rain hit the rivers and current areas. Those are sure fire areas to catch some fish. Expand to other things after you have caught some. Hope this helps. Tight lines brother