odd interference with Gen 1 helix to gen 2 helix 5

Hey guys,

So i got a helix g2 chirp gps and my bud has a 1st gen helix and when we were jigging for lakers on my boat i was getting mass amounts of interference no matter what settings I used while his gen 1 helix had zero to little feed back and had much clearer readings.

ive tried the noise filter / chanels etc... my unit would barely read my jig and i'd get lines in the imaging.

he turns his off and my imaging was clear and i'd get solid readings of my jig.... this a known issue?
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

Cross-talk between sonar units using the same frequency is not an "issue", it's a fact of life when their sonar pulses overlap. Makes no difference if the units are the same brand or different brands, it's the frequency.

The two units could have their transducers installed differently and one could affect the other more due to direction of the sonar pulses.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    he was using his ice ducer and I had the standard one... guess the ice ducer he used over powered mine hence i was getting the interference.
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

When your unit receives data that was pinged from another unit .... it shows up as interference since it isn't a ping that it sent out.... it is sonar data but the timing is not correct to be one of it's own pings...... If that makes any sense at all.

The way sonar works is it sends a ping ... or now a chip of sonar frequencies and then waits for the return signal that bounces back from the bottom or an object. The time it takes for the return signal to be received determines how far away the bottom / object is. If sonar data is received that doesn't fit the pattern or intensity of other return data....it is displayed as interference.
    I guess if they really wanted to get fancy they could somehow encode their own sonar data and just reject any return signal that wasn't their own ..... but I don't think that is going to happen in this kind of price range.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

5. Member
    yea i know there's lots of improvement to go... i just found it odd that an older apparently sub par model of the same unit would be able to cut through my units signal... his was reading flawlessly and picked up the jig no problem. regardless if my unit ran or not.

I even tried dropping my ducer lower then his (i have my ducer on a pole mount ducer set up) (yes it was arranged to be flat and point in the correct direction etc) with no improvement

Maybe the previous model was running a different frequency .... offsetting the frequencies is the key to eliminating the crosstalk. You have the option to select your range with the chirp.

7. Member
    Ye I tried everything on my unit. Narrowing range. Going through all 6 channels of the noise filter played with sensitivity etc nothing worked while his was working flawlessly IDing fish and his line. Guess I expected his to have the issues over mine getting all the interference

Maybe the unit he is using has a wider beam than yours .... or he just points it your way for fun.