Go-to knee brace

Long story short, my left knee has always been a little weaker than my right, and sometimes gives me a twinge for a day or 3. But it always goes away, and I average walking 6-7 miles per day with typically no issues. However, 10 days ago I woke up with some minor discomfort but decided to walk and play 18 holes of golf anyway. Mistake. Knee flared up so that I could barely walk, and is still giving me trouble. I can walk now, but only at about 75%, and out on the boat (especially on Erie) getting up and down from the front deck is a little testing.

Since this is by far the worst episode I've had with this knee, and I can't remember doing anything (other than golfing while hurt) that would cause permanent damage, I'm hopeful that a good long rest this winter will set me right, or as good as my aging knee ever was, at least. But until then, a strong but flexible knee brace sounds like a good idea. Something that won't be bulky or uncomfortable to wear all day. What do you have? TIA for recommendations.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Neoprene brace, could help, but the Dic. Should be the one recommending.......

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    See the doc!!

Make sure you are not making an easily fixable issue worst.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

I would almost guarantee you need some type of surgery. I doubt it will get any better with just rest. If you are overweight then losing weight can help a lot.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    See the doc!!

Make sure you are not making an easily fixable issue worst.
    This!!! Get checked out by a doctor.A knee brace may help but a doctor needs to tell you what brace to use. Don't think the T.V. adds you see are the thing to use.

6. Member
    Have your primary care refer you to an orthopedic and get it checked out properly!

After my motorcycle accident last year my ortho doc gave me one similar in style (and way more costly) to this to wear while I was rehabbing my torn MCL and partially torn ACL. I still wear it when I am riding my bicycle, running, or on the ice skating just for the extra stability even though I probably don't need it any longer.

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/st...34/_/A-2233146

7. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I had surgery but I did twist my knee again after surgery. This $7.00 shipped strap(ebay) helped me when walking especially longer distances- Menards/ daily walking & work.Get the Black one- tan one stretches too much-becomes useless. Cho-Pat Knee Strap- measure below your knee, you want it tight or semi tight. I bought 5 straps after it helped me. couple in my SUV around parking brake handle between seats, 1 in work grip and 1or 2 at home. I still had trouble finding one when I need one. Google knee strap and see if it will help you... I am filled with little known knowledge. Mueller good too.If it works for you- send me a message.

Typically braces of any type will make the joint weaker. You have a problem, whether that is the fact that the joint is weak or there is some ligament or cartilage damage. The knee brace may help it feel better, but overall you will start to rely on the brace and the joint will become weaker overall. It maybe a matter of surgery or pt to help build up the supporting muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Typically braces of any type will make the joint weaker. You have a problem, whether that is the fact that the joint is weak or there is some ligament or cartilage damage. The knee brace may help it feel better, but overall you will start to rely on the brace and the joint will become weaker overall. It maybe a matter of surgery or pt to help build up the supporting muscles.
    yep bthats what an orthopedic doctor told me. They are helpful doing physical activities where you need one but for everyday use they do more harm than good.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Hmm. I hadn’t thought of that [brace weakening the knee]. Good advice. I’m 6’1” and 158 pounds, so not overweight, and never have been. Plus I never played sports in school or anything like that. No trauma to the knee whatsoever, and in really perfect health before this. I appreciate the advice and will give it plenty of thought. Just the last couple of days, it’s felt better. Probably back to 80% now, but not getting any younger, so I thought a brace might help while I’m on the water. But maybe not. Good to know.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Long story short, my left knee has always been a little weaker than my right, and sometimes gives me a twinge for a day or 3. But it always goes away, and I average walking 6-7 miles per day with typically no issues. However, 10 days ago I woke up with some minor discomfort but decided to walk and play 18 holes of golf anyway. Mistake. Knee flared up so that I could barely walk, and is still giving me trouble. I can walk now, but only at about 75%, and out on the boat (especially on Erie) getting up and down from the front deck is a little testing.

Since this is by far the worst episode I've had with this knee, and I can't remember doing anything (other than golfing while hurt) that would cause permanent damage, I'm hopeful that a good long rest this winter will set me right, or as good as my aging knee ever was, at least. But until then, a strong but flexible knee brace sounds like a good idea. Something that won't be bulky or uncomfortable to wear all day. What do you have? TIA for recommendations.
    Going through same thing right now it won’t get better I’ve tried . You can get injections they most likely will help especially if your job is not physical. Was thinking about knee replacement but it ain’t 100% guaranteed just depends on patient .
    J D

12. Member
    I had some left knee pain at the beginning of the year and didn't know what was causing it. After seeing the doctor and having an MRI I had a torn meniscus and some cartilage was also torn and floating around my knee cap. Like I said no idea how it happened but I had to have surgery for the meniscus and I have to have another one for the cartilage, I'll be down for six weeks on the second surgery. I would say see a doctor.

13. Member
    I work in the physical therapy field, from the limited information and obviously no hands on testing it sounds more like a cartilage/menisucus type issue. Although you are missing some of the classic signs of that, you have some of them and anyone that has lived a semi active lifestyle as they age is a good candidate for this happening with time. I don't think getting a brace with any sort of side to side stabilizer or hinge is necessary. I think if anything a compression sleeve type brace can keep that joint warm help keep swelling out if any has been showing up. I think a visit to an Orthopedist and imaging (MRI) probably could help figure out if there is a major issue going on. Also you are a good candidate for Physical Therapy. I would search out a clinic that has a good reputation with an active patient base (sports related stuff) could be most beneficial. Hard to give a lot of detail without seeing the case in person, but this is good general advice. Good luck man!

14. Member
    MCDAVID Compression Sleeve. Give it a try for a couple of weeks an if no improvement see a doctor.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Hmm. I hadn’t thought of that [brace weakening the knee]. Good advice. I’m 6’1” and 158 pounds, so not overweight, and never have been. Plus I never played sports in school or anything like that. No trauma to the knee whatsoever, and in really perfect health before this. I appreciate the advice and will give it plenty of thought. Just the last couple of days, it’s felt better. Probably back to 80% now, but not getting any younger, so I thought a brace might help while I’m on the water. But maybe not. Good to know.
    Dang man, you’re a twig! I hope the knee gets better.

16. Banned
    Shock doctor makes a couple of different levels in their knee braces depending on just how much support you need. I have both the 870 and the 875 models and both work really well. The 875 has a lot more support/stability. I have a torn ACL and it is at the top of the list to get repaired now that all else is done. Been 3 years and gone thru 2 braces but well worth the money. Got mine off ebay practically new(one was new) for a fraction of the cost getting it at a supplier/store. Good luck with your decision.

17. Banned

18. Member
    Keep ignoring the obvious. The doc will be happy to give you a brace after surgery.

19. Member
    My wife just went through a total knee replacement last week. Go see a doctor and get a MRI and see what is going on inside the knee and go from there.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

20. Banned
    I have a feeling this will be too bulky since its a wrestling kneepad...but these were the best! They have pieces of metal strips on the sides to give additional support and it was just the absolute best! sturdy but flexible enough not to restrict you.

Not an all day brace at all...but if old GMan is out there looking like stone cold steve austin with his knee braces, I dont see why you couldnt toss these on when your on the water. And if the fishing gets bad you can challenge people to wrestling matches or just give people the stone cold stunner at the dock! lol

https://www.wrestlingmart.com/kneepa...-kneepad-black

Id look for one that has some kinda additional support like these with the metal tabs on the side. Im sure theyre out there, I just dont have experience with them. Ill admit, these arent low profile...but theyre not the bulkiest....but theyre bulky enough that id think theyd be noticeable under jeans/pants. theyre AMAZING though. Knee feels reinforced...but still had tons of mobility.