Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

low tire pressure reset

My wife's 2016 Malibu showed passenger front tire at 28 lbs. I filled it to proper pressure but the dash keeps saying low tire pressure at 28 lbs. Is there a procedure to reset this?

Dale Sinclair original

I'm not sure how the GM's work but most likely you'll need to drive it for a few minutes until it shows the new pressure.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    There is a procedure, it's on youtube, atleast for my 2010 silverado. If that doesn't work then the sensor is bad
    Thanos was the hero

4. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    She has driven it for a couple days and hasn't reset and the tire pressure stays correct.

Dale Sinclair original

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    She has driven it for a couple days and hasn't reset and the tire pressure stays correct.
    Doesn't work like the Dodge's then. They just reset after driving for a couple of minutes.

6. Member
    check the owners manual.. they are all probably different. I just dealt with this on my wifes Honda CRV and there was a button you had to push to the left of the steering wheel to re calibrate after filling to appropriate air level.

7. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Doesn't work like the Dodge's then. They just reset after driving for a couple of minutes.
    Yes, my 2016 Ram does as well. I'll take it to the tire shop and see. Thanks everyone for the info.

Dale Sinclair original

8. Member
    I'm going to expose my stupidity here in case it might help you out. Did you check the tire pressure of the other tires? My wifes car did the same thing. Said right rear tire was low. Figured sensor was messed up because I checked it. Kept getting lower, kept checking it and still good. Then I noticed the right front tire looking low. Filled it up and the light went off and everything was good. Apparently when the mechanic last rotated the tires the sensors weren't calibrated or something and the car sight right rear when it meant right front.... I won't tell you how long it took me to figure out.

9. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbassin22 View Post
    I'm going to expose my stupidity here in case it might help you out. Did you check the tire pressure of the other tires? My wifes car did the same thing. Said right rear tire was low. Figured sensor was messed up because I checked it. Kept getting lower, kept checking it and still good. Then I noticed the right front tire looking low. Filled it up and the light went off and everything was good. Apparently when the mechanic last rotated the tires the sensors weren't calibrated or something and the car sight right rear when it meant right front.... I won't tell you how long it took me to figure out.
    Good info. I'll check the others when she gets home. Thanks.

Dale Sinclair original

Yes sir. Due to tire rotation. On some, need to reset after rotating the tires.

11. Member
    What he said above. This has been my experience on multiple vehicles. Just because it shows a particular tire low, doesn't mean that is gospel if they have been rotated and the sensors weren't reset to follow. I always check them all and it often is a different tire than shown.

I worked on a new mercedes and it drove me crazy with the tpms. Damn spare tire had a sensor in it sitting in the trunk and it was a little low.

My Hondas, you just drive. Check all tires

I had trouble with the wife's Toyota. Ended up pumping all of the tires to the proper psi then did a reset on all of the sensors. Found out how to do it on google
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

15. Member
    stop in a discount tire and have them reset it, or rebuild the sensor i am thinking a bad sensor is the problem

I had one on a 2010 Tahoe that would not reset until I disconnected the battery, been working great for the last year.

17. Member
    The tire pressure sensors can not possibly work right if they have to be reset after a pressure change, reading the correct pressure is what they do. I am going to bet that the tires have been rotated or a bad sensor and I have never heard of one going bad and still showing a reading.

18. Member
    My truck did the same thing. Kept saying driver rear was low when it was actually the passenger rear.

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    My wife's 2016 Malibu showed passenger front tire at 28 lbs. I filled it to proper pressure but the dash keeps saying low tire pressure at 28 lbs. Is there a procedure to reset this?
    should be in the display menu.

Probably just needs to be rescanned.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast