Sparks and Smoke coming out of my foot peddle

Went out fishing other day and after using my Fortrex 101 trolling motor for about 30 minutes, it started sparking and smoking from under the foot peddle. I needed to briefly use it to get out of my location so I just pulsed it quickly while puffs of smoke continued wafting out. Will I need to replace the whole peddle or what. Has anybody had this happen? Is this a costly and or difficult fix. Motor is about 8-9 years old.
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

Sounds like a short to me. Take the bottom of the foot pedal apart and take a look. Bet you will find some melted wires. Might just need to replace the components that were affected might need to replace the whole thing. 9 years out of a trolling motor is pretty good I will say that. I had something similar happen to an old edge I had about 10 years ago. I ended up getting a maxxum to replace it since most of the wiring had completely melted.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

3. Member
    Most probably the control board on a 101, but take the bottom plate off and if it was smoking you should be able to see what got hot. If it only did it when you was on the button, it could be control board or wiring going to head of trolling motor. If wires are burnt, replace them first, if that don't fix it, then control board. We have parts in stock. The control board is roughly $165. and the control board kit should you need the updated board is roughly $235.00
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Thanks guys for the responses. John, how will I know if I need a control board kit or just the control board. What is the difference.
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

5. Member
    Agree with John. do you have a recess foot Pedal. You may have had water back you because the drain was plugged.

6. Member
    When you look at the control board, there is wires going to the mom/off/con switch. If yours has a yellow, green, white wire going from the control board to the switch, then it is the new style and no upgrade kit is needed. If it has #10 wires that plug into the control board, then it's the old style and you will need the upgrade kit.
    Thanks
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]