1993 mercury 200 xri

I started having issues the last few times to start this motor. It used to start right away with no issues. Now I have the pump the bulb, choke, and pump the hot foot to get it to start. Takes a few minutes to get it going. After it starts I have no issues the rest of the day starting it up. Just the initial start.

Also noticed a constant beep while cruising. It stops when I let off the gas though. Not sure what that means.
    Last edited by thawk21; 09-18-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Wrong motor info

2. Member
    It means you need to stop running the motor until you find out why the ALARM is going off. Constant beep (beeeeeeeeeeeeeep) is critical fault such as overheat or low/no oil. Beep beep beep... can be a number of faults, like water in the fuel filter, which could be a problem with starting.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    I mix the oil in the gas so I don't think it's an oil issue. Maybe overheating. I'll probably take it to someone who knows what their doing. Also could the starting issue be because I switched to just regular 87 Octane gas?

Quote Originally Posted by thawk21 View Post
    I started having issues the last few times to start this motor. It used to start right away with no issues. Now I have the pump the bulb, choke, and pump the hot foot to get it to start. Takes a few minutes to get it going. After it starts I have no issues the rest of the day starting it up. Just the initial start.

Also noticed a constant beep while cruising. It stops when I let off the gas though. Not sure what that means.
    EFI does not have choke, pumping the hot foot does nothing since outboards do not have an accelerator pump either
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by thawk21 View Post
    I mix the oil in the gas so I don't think it's an oil issue. Maybe overheating. I'll probably take it to someone who knows what their doing. Also could the starting issue be because I switched to just regular 87 Octane gas?
    1. did you follow the instruction for deleting the oil injection to the letter. Has the delete actually been done?
    2. 87 is the recommended fuel and would provide for better starting as well as less carbon deposits and a tiny bit more power
    Might be wise to have pro check it out as there are many things that could cause the hard start
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    I update the OP. I had the wrong motor info. I updated it after verifying the serial number. It's a 93 200 xri. The person I bought it from remover the oil injection. So not sure it was done right. I am very new to outboards so not real sure what I'm looking for. Thanks again for all the help.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the forum, and provide the Required Information with your post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor