Thread: Mill Creek

Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar

Mill Creek

It’s been ages since I have been to Mill Creek and would like to return. Has anyone been lately? How is the fishing?
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

2. Member
    I have a buddy that goes every now and then. Says its not like it used to be. I used to go until they raised the launch fee to $30 from $16 daily.
    2005 PT 185 Special Edition
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

3. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    $30 for a daily launch fee is ridiculous. Maybe this is their attempt at bringing down the traffic on the lake, who knows.

4. Member
    Mill Creek sucks unless you want to have a dink fest and the occasional decent fish. I have lived 25 minutes from the lake my whole life. It was arguably the best lake in the state. We fished a tournament once and had 23.99 lbs and only got 5th place. Prices go up every year. I remember when it was $60 a year for us and now it's $150 or $30 a day. I believe they are trying to make it a wealthy persons joy riding and hangout paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisbassfishin View Post
    Mill Creek sucks unless you want to have a dink fest and the occasional decent fish. I have lived 25 minutes from the lake my whole life. It was arguably the best lake in the state. We fished a tournament once and had 23.99 lbs and only got 5th place. Prices go up every year. I remember when it was $60 a year for us and now it's $150 or $30 a day. I believe they are trying to make it a wealthy persons joy riding and hangout paradise.
    Has these ramp fees affected the number of tournaments and overall fishing pressure? I recall at one point that it had more tournaments than any lake in the state. That would make me really think hard about wanting to go there for the weekend.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

6. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisbassfishin View Post
    Thats too bad. My buddy introduced me to that lake years ago. He caught the first fish 10 minutes in and it was a 5.5 pounder. I was sold! It’s also a gorgeous area to fish and it doesn’t even feel like you are in Illinois. Maybe they wanted to drop the tournament pressure from out of area, who knows. I bet lake traffic has come down quite a bit now though.

7. Member
    We showed up there this year for our first club tournament and couldn't believe they raised it to $30. Probably the last time we'll go there. You do catch a lot of small fish but there are still some nice ones in there. I think the 1 over 15" rule has improved the overall fishery though. This year we caught a pretty good number of overs. We do a team deal so we could have two over 15" and 3 under.

It was always a nice April tournament for us because you'd at least catch a good number of fish. Not worth the launch fee now though.

8. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    That launch fee is ridiculous for sure.