Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best PTP for 2015 Nitro Z7 with 175 Pro XS

I’m trying to get a consensus on the best PTP for my boat. If anyone with the same exact boat or anyone that is somewhat close to that boat can just share their PTP it would be great! I just put a Bobs 6” hydraulic jackplate on and I’m running about 55 mph GPS consistently and about 12 psi Water pressure at 2.75” for my PTP.

2. Member
    I had a 2015 with 175 pro xs with an 8" slidemaster manual jackplate, 24 pitch Tempest 3 blade prop and dual 12' Talons. With the jackplate set at 2.75" PTP it would go 67 mph with just me and 63 mph with a passenger. Great boat.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

3. Member
    Yeah I can’t get close to that with me being the only one in the boat, quarter tank and the front middle compartment full. I got 57 mpg gps and that was without jackplate

4. Member
    2014 Z7. I have a 175 with 24p Tempest, twin power poles and a 6" Atlas. It's a bit sluggish out of the hole, but I can consistently run low 60s with my PTP around 3 1/4". I'm sure I can go faster, but I don't get wrapped around the axle over speed. I knew that going into this boat so I'm ok with it.

5. Member
    I guess I kinda am a little upset about my top speed. I’ve seen numerous nitro z7 with 150 running low 60s. If i could hit that mark I’d be happy.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P_Frost7 View Post
    I guess I kinda am a little upset about my top speed. I’ve seen numerous nitro z7 with 150 running low 60s. If i could hit that mark I’d be happy.
    I know it is frustrating, but I take a lot of the, "65 with a 150" with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be too upset about it. You have a bass boat! Just keep tweaking. Move that plate down; borrow a 23 tempest or a four blade prop, check for a hook, or, if you have to, get the engine checked. 12 psi is bare minimum pressure so moving the plate up probably is going to cause problems. Keep us posted.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by remaly181 View Post
    I know it is frustrating, but I take a lot of the, "65 with a 150" with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be too upset about it. You have a bass boat! Just keep tweaking. Move that plate down; borrow a 23 tempest or a four blade prop, check for a hook, or, if you have to, get the engine checked. 12 psi is bare minimum pressure so moving the plate up probably is going to cause problems. Keep us posted.
    With my plate all the way down, my ptp is 2.75”. So I’m wondering if I move my motor down on the jackplate and adjust my plate and see what happens. My motor is mounted on the third hole on my bracket (middle hole) and I’m curious about moving it to the top hole and seeing what that does.

U should be able to get lower P2P measurements. I had one of my boats come from the factory mounted too high on the hydraulic JP, Course I spotted when they were rigging the boat and had them lower the motor on the plate.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    U should be able to get lower P2P measurements. I had one of my boats come from the factory mounted too high on the hydraulic JP, Course I spotted when they were rigging the boat and had them lower the motor on the plate.
    So you think my motor needs to be raised up?

10. Member
    My motor was also originally mounted on the third hole as well. I had the dealer move it immediately as there is no benefit with it that high. If you go to the first hole, you have to be mindful of the rigging and steering equipment when you tilt forward to tow. It will bind if your JP cylinder is all the way down and you are using a transom saver. It should be noted, most jackplate manufacturers want you towing with the JP cylinder all the way down.

11. Member
    My motor was also originally mounted on the third hole as well. I had the dealer move it immediately as there is no benefit with it that high. If you go to the first hole, you have to be mindful of the rigging and steering equipment when you tilt forward to tow. It will bind if your JP cylinder is all the way down and you are using a transom saver. It should be noted, most jackplate manufacturers want you towing with the JP cylinder all the way down.
    Which hole did you move your motor to?

So you think my motor needs to be raised up?
    I think 2.75 is a little high, but all that depends on prop, weight and conditions. I do think only being able to achieve 2.75 below pad, when your plate is fully lowered, is not right. U should be able to get 4 to 4.5 below pad, and raise your plate to achieve 2.75 below pad.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    I run a little over 4" but I have a 24 Fury. If I raise it anymore my water pressure drops too much on corners and I lose speed. 66 MPH by myself 63-64 with the family. I miss when it ran 69 mph brand new but I think I have too much tackle now.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I think 2.75 is a little high, but all that depends on prop, weight and conditions. I do think only being able to achieve 2.75 below pad, when your plate is fully lowered, is not right. U should be able to get 4 to 4.5 below pad, and raise your plate to achieve 2.75 below pad.
    I think if I move my motor to the top hole, my ptp will be 3.5”. That’s with the jackplate all the way down

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    I run a little over 4" but I have a 24 Fury. If I raise it anymore my water pressure drops too much on corners and I lose speed. 66 MPH by myself 63-64 with the family. I miss when it ran 69 mph brand new but I think I have too much tackle now.
    I’m running a 24 tempest plus

16. Member
    I think if I move my motor to the top hole, my ptp will be 3.5”. That’s with the jackplate all the way down
    Are you sure your measurement is correct? You should be able to get way lower than 3.5" with the jackplate all the way down. I'm not saying you need to lower it but that measurement doesn't seem right.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    Are you sure your measurement is correct? You should be able to get way lower than 3.5" with the jackplate all the way down. I'm not saying you need to lower it but that measurement doesn't seem right.
    Now that I think about it, if my motor is mounted in the first hole and my jackplate all the way down, my ptp would be 4.25” roughly. I’m pretty certain that my ptp right now is 2.75” with where the motor is mounted and my jackplate all the way down. My pad to ground measurement was 16 5/8”, center prop to ground was 13 7/8”.

18. Member
    Which hole did you move your motor to?
    The way I am set up, my motor is mounted to the plate in the second hole. Totally level, my PTP is 3 7/8" when the plate is all the way down.

19. Member
    The way I am set up, my motor is mounted to the plate in the second hole. Totally level, my PTP is 3 7/8" when the plate is all the way down.
    If I put my motor in the second hole, my ptp would be 3.5”. If you were me, would you move your motor to the second hole and see if that helps with top speed?

20. Member
    Considering we have different brands of JPs, it is hard to say. If I was maxed at 3.5" and no lower then I would go to the first hole. I would just leave the JP raised up a bit so I cleared the rigging/steering when towing. On hole 1, you would be closer to 4" PTP and could raise the motor to whatever. I spoke to Atlas a few years ago about whether or not I could keep the JP raised while towing and they said it would be ok so long as my transom saver was attached. Considering I was already close to 4" PTP on hole 2, I just left it there so I didn't have to worry about me smashing my hydraulic steering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast