Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Somebody going to be issuing an apology once the motor size is determined.

2. Member
    I was hoping greyline was going to update with correct serial number. Curious as to this mystery 3L 150.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

3. Banned
    No pics yet

4. Member
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grayline View Post
    How can there be an installation problem Ive put these for over 20 years .. ya cant install them wrong.. the one before this one lasted 3 years.....

Jesus Phil... Yes its a 3 liter its at my boathouse at the lake 45 minutes away . I know the post police requires the serial # . I guess if one is gonna call someone out its you of all people...
    Greg: If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the forum, and provide the Required Information with your post. Thanks!

There are NO 150hp ProXS 3 Liter V6 engines. Perhaps a 2.5L V6, or a 3L 4 cylinder 4-stroke. Serial number will identify it precisely.

I assure you improper installation is not only possible, it's done every day. Missing gaskets, key not in correctly (or at all), vanes oriented in wrong (or opposing) directions, improper gaskets, gaskets improperly oriented, wrong parts entirely, grease on the impeller and cup, etc.

And you should NEVER, EVER dry-spin a water pump. A brand new impeller can be destroyed in seconds (often as little as 20 seconds).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-25-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    When putting impeller into housing.... you put it in counter clockwise correct?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by droptine View Post
    When putting impeller into housing.... you put it in counter clockwise correct?
    See FAQ>>>>>3 Liter Water Pump Replacement (Sherm's Tips)

8. Member
    to emphasize, that would be "NO!". Looking from top, clockwise. To convince yourself, turn driveshaft by hand with lower unit shifted too forward. See which way you have to turn the driveshaft to turn the prop in the right direction. Turning it backward is a near certain recipe for impeller failure.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    to emphasize, that would be "NO!". Looking from top, clockwise. To convince yourself, turn driveshaft by hand with lower unit shifted too forward. See which way you have to turn the driveshaft to turn the prop in the right direction. Turning it backward is a near certain recipe for impeller failure.
    Well, if you're holding the housing upside down in your hand it would go in ccw. I always use guide pins and install the gaskets and plate, then the impeller and key and then the housing(with some dish washing detergent on the inside) down the shaft and onto the pins. Then turn the driveshaft clockwise while slipping the housing over the impeller. I once watched a mechanic put the impeller in the housing first (twisting ccw) and then slide it down the shaft and try to line it up with the key. I asked him why he didn't use pins and he said that was the way he'd always done it.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

10. Member
    I learned the last time I replaced mine that it is actually easy to insert the impeller into the housing first. You can then position the shaft hole dead center of the hole in the housing and it will actually stay there. I don't remember this being the case on my older motors, but I am also not sure I tried it. I found inserting the impeller first made it easier to deal with the key. Dab of 2-4-C on the flat side of the key, stick it to the drive shaft, then slide the impeller + housing down making sure the key doesn't get knocked off. You can use the pin approach, you can find matching thread bolts that are only threaded on the end and cut the heads off, you can use wire ties cutoff and stuck in the bolt holes to keep the gaskets in position, etc...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Somebody going to be issuing an apology once the motor size is determined.
    Okay okay ... Sorry guys I mixed up the inboard with our outboard as far as 3.0 litre goes
    Yes my 2013 Z7 IS A 2.? Litre my dumb self forgot to take a pix of the serial. But my pontoon has the 3.0 liter stamped on the intake cover..
    My Z7 I think I bought a older pump kit (sierra) online that was older ... The Blades were really stiff. I ordered the Mercury one online and it fit perfect ... it turns out that the interior brass sleeve head flexed enough that the impeller was slipping on the shaft

Big Apologize..

Okay okay okay I will admit when I'm wrong ...My water pump issue what's due to me buying a older Sierra water pump kit..
    I now have the correct Mercury part installed and everything is wonderful my water pressures are back up into the 18 to 20 psi range thank you savage for what you do and all your help ...

13. Member

14. Member
    Spun a hub on an impeller - that's a new'un!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12