Thread: 190 LEAKING.

190 LEAKING.

Fished nights several day ago and the bilge pump kept coming on, every thirty minutes or so. I had found that the discharge hose on the livewell fill pump had come off before. I assumed that it had happened again. Wrong, after removing three batteries I discovered that I had corrected that problem. Question is where is the water coming from. I have done the following;

1. Filled the livewell and determined that the livewell overflow was not leaking
    2. Determined that the fill line was not leaking
    3. Put the boat in water and observed the four bulkhead fitting, no leaks

The livewell leaked down about half overnight, not near the amount of water that would cause the bilge pump to come on. Any thought ??

thru hull fittings.

3. Member
    checked them by putting the boat in the water with the batteries removed so I could observe all four.

4. Member
    Have you tried putting plug in and filling bilge with water while on the trailer?
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

5. Member
    Yep might be time for a new plug

6. Member
    yes, I have filled the bilge area with water. no leaks. I though about the transom tiedowns this morning and I have checked them. I think that I will remove the cartridge in the Johnson livewell pump and check the o-ring. I am a loss as to what would cause a leak that would appear to be five gallons ever thirty minutes or so. I had a gator hull installed two years ago and would think that does away with the hull leak option.

7. Member
    I think that my friend Perry has come up with a serinao that could explane my problems. If the livewell fill pump was left on, the pump could overflow the livewell. I was amazed at the small size of the overflow orfices and someone could have replaced this pump with a larger pump than the system was designed for.

8. Member
    That sounds like a very probable cause to me