Ultrex Foot Pedal Locked Up

Second time in 3 months the foot pedal locked up. Local shop repaired last time. Could there be something causing this ?

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    The sensor board is where most ASC's want to turn to. This will depend on other problems at the same time. when it locked up, would the remote still control it?
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    The first time 2 months ago, the remote did work. This past weekend I forgot to check the remote. It happened about the time we were talking about leaving anyway so we just headed home a little early.

I am not worried as much about the fix. I know it will get fixed . But twice in a row now after 18 months of being flawless. I'm worried about if I am doing something that might be causing it all of a sudden that I am unaware of.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    The first time 2 months ago, the remote did work. This past weekend I forgot to check the remote. It happened about the time we were talking about leaving anyway so we just headed home a little early.

I am not worried as much about the fix. I know it will get fixed . But twice in a row now after 18 months of being flawless. I'm worried about if I am doing something that might be causing it all of a sudden that I am unaware of.
    Not necessarily what you're doing, but it could be 2 different problems instead of a reoccurring problem.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Not necessarily what you're doing, but it could be 2 different problems instead of a reoccurring problem.
    Well I am not sure what I am hoping. Different problem will cost me to fix it. Same problem - its under warranty but maybe there is an outlying issue.

7. Member
    Mine failed twice but happened within a week. The ASC replaced the obvious sensor board but then had to replace another board/module on the second failure. It was strange because they tested at the shop before I took delivery. Hopefully you won't have to pay. Are you beyond the 3yr warranty period?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

8. Member
    ASC said it's some mechanical pedal control (controls left/right). $350 for just the part. That's $750 in last 2 months. Sucks is the understatement of the year.

9. Member
    All I can say is you might want to find another ASC.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    All I can say is you might want to find another ASC.
    Yea, I know. Not a lot of options for such a giant city as Houston. 1st giant red flag was "parts are $350, but we feel your pain so we wont charge for labor".

11. Member
    Just to give you a "working Knowledge" on how the foot pedal operates so you can be somewhat intelligent when talking to the ASC.
    The steering consist of the steering module, a double bonded wire going from the steering with a plug on each end, the steering cables that go from the steering module to the footpedal, a sensor control board, and a main control board.
    When you push on the footpedal, it activates the sensor control board and sends a signal to the main control board, the main control board sends a signal via the bonded wire to the steering module to make it turn left/right. When the steering module turns the trolling motor, it moves the steering cables which moves the footpedal in the direction your turning. When you use the remote, it bypasses the sensor board and sends a signal to the control board via the top of the head (refered to as the controller). This is why when the sensor board goes bad, the remote will still work. As to parts that I've seen go bad in this setup is the wiring connection between the control board to the steering module, the plug at the steering module (either side) and the sensor board. I've seen control boards go bad, but usually not in the sense of the steering. Hope this helps to understand the steering system on the Ultrex.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Mr Jones, I tried to send you a message but your box is full.

I just went by the ASC to ask more questions and get a better understanding.

Serial #Q326MK00732

I just had the control board replaced 46-60 days ago. They said it now needs a steering housing and another control board. He said the steering housing was drawing or sending (??) to many amps and fried the control board. He said MK is covering the new control board and labor, but not the steering housing. I'm being told steering housing is $345 for part only. They're also telling me the steering housing and control board are on back order with no ETA.

Any insight would be appreciated.

13. Member
    Why would that not be covered under the warranty. Is what you are calling the steering housing not part of the unit as a whole?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Why would that not be covered under the warranty. Is what you are calling the steering housing not part of the unit as a whole?
    I’m second owner so technically nothing is under warranty except for the parts they fixed 2 months ago. I’m not fully believing their story though.

15. Member
    My foot pedal froze yesterday at noon in the middle of a tournament luckily we had a nice bag before it quit. It is 2 1/2 years old, only problem so far, hard to complain about that. Is this something I can buy the part for and fix ? Or do I need to take it to a service center, I am in the DFW area, any suggestions, thanks.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    My foot pedal froze yesterday at noon in the middle of a tournament luckily we had a nice bag before it quit. It is 2 1/2 years old, only problem so far, hard to complain about that. Is this something I can buy the part for and fix ? Or do I need to take it to a service center, I am in the DFW area, any suggestions, thanks.
    I haven't taken mine apart to decide the difficulty of DIY, but I do know it could be more than 1 possible cause. My vote is take it to an ASC

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Mr Jones, I tried to send you a message but your box is full.

I just went by the ASC to ask more questions and get a better understanding.

Serial #Q326MK00732

I just had the control board replaced 46-60 days ago. They said it now needs a steering housing and another control board. He said the steering housing was drawing or sending (??) to many amps and fried the control board. He said MK is covering the new control board and labor, but not the steering housing. I'm being told steering housing is $345 for part only. They're also telling me the steering housing and control board are on back order with no ETA.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks, I'll go fix the instant messages.
    what the ASC is telling you is correct. If the steering housing on a Ultrex/Ulterra/Terrova is trying to lock up it will pull more amps than it should and take out the control board. More than likely this is what happened 2 mths ago when the control board went bad and the ASC either didn't check the steering module for amp draw or missed it. It is also correct that he second owner doesn't transfer warranty. Looks this probably should have all been done the first time through.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

18. Member
    I thought the Ultrex had a 3 year warranty? Hasn't been out that long has it!

John

19. Member
    My problem ended up being the collar or whatever it is called that turns the shaft, 100 % warranty, 45 min fix, Southwest Parts in Dallas, great folks