2017 Ranger Z520c

I have noticed recently that my live well will not fill all the way up to the point that the water overflows out the top overflow hole. Does anyone have any ideas? The pumps all work great, I suspect the Auto/Empty/ Recirc valve may be leaking through when in the auto position, but have never seen this before and this is my 3rd Ranger. Appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You say the pumps are working great, but for the livewell never to fill up to the overflow, when pumping constantly, would take a massive leak for a valve/flapper to be the culprit. I’ve had flapper leaks before, but they were never to the extent that the livewell wouldn’t fill. Could happen, but I would think it’s extremely rare. In some cases, if a pump is working at 50% or less capacity, some of the water can backflow and escape. If you have a spare pump cartridge, you could try it on one side, then the other, and see if it makes a difference. The reason I mention this approach is because a) ruling out the pumps would leave just the valves/flappers, which would encompass 99% of possible issues, and b) a spare pump cartridge, sooner or later, is going to come in handy.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Thanks John! I will get a spare cartridge and give that a shot. Like I said, it fills up and holds water, but only to about 4" below the overflow valve, which is odd to me and I do not see a crack or damage inside the live well. Thanks for the advice!

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If it holds water but only at that low level, I'm 98% sure one of your pumps is bad.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Thanks again John! I will get a cartridge on Friday and swap it out and give it a try on Saturday