2007 250 HPDI starter question

Hi guys,

I had the bottom part of what I think is the starter solenoid bust off of my 250 Hpdi this weekend. Was having charging issues and found that my main battery connections for both the ground to the block and power to the starter were loose. I tightened the ground and as soon as I touched the power cable post the entire bottom of the solenoid, post and all, fell off. I think it the plastic must have been cracked for some time and weak.

Is is it possible to replace just the solenoid or do I need to replace the entire starter?

I appreciate any help.

I attached a pic of the piece I am referring to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    You need to replace the entire starter. Just had to do that this year because of a sticky solenoid. Not a hard job. An oem one is outrageous. But a company in ohio makes aftermarket ones that are identical. Cant remember the name of the company, but my local starter shop ordered it for me. Ive had great success so far for less than half of oem cost. I still have my old one cuz it was only stickin about 1 out of 10 times. But replaced it to save the trouble down the road.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Might also check with Jones Trolling Motor. He rebuilds starters, if I'm not mistaken.

4. Member
    My local starter shop here said this model couldnt be rebuilt because the parts arent available. Not sure if its true, but pretty reputable guy, been doin em for 40yrs. But definately check with jones and get their opinion.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/starter...yamaha-marine/

5. Member
    Thanks for all of the info guys. Very helpful as always.

6. Member
    The parts are still available from Yamaha.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

8. Member
    22 was exactly what I needed. Actually broke the entire bottom off of it.

I found a brand new complete factory starter for $375 so went that route.