Fall Fishing Suggestions

They say fall fishing is supposed to be the best, but never had much luck once the water starts to cool. What techniques do you use to track the largemouth down? I'm more of a finesse fisherman, wacky, drop shot, etc. They don't appear to be on the deep weed edges anymore. Throwing a spinner or square bill in the shallows only finds little ones. Thanks for any info.

2. Member
    I would always have a moving bait and jig ready to go. The weeds start dying, the fish will scatter. I fish hard banks with chatterbaits or squarebills, drag a jig on hard bottom areas, and docks.

Fall fishing does mostly suck though!.one day you can slam them, the next barely get a bite. I try to do it as little as possible!

3. Member
    Squarebill cranks or chatterbaits running them just through the weed tops in weed flats near deep water. Also mornings and evenings poppers or topwater walking baits over the same weed flats generate a lot of bites for me. Football jigs deep once it starts getting cold. Just remember the fish are moving up shallow to flats to feed and you have to follow them up and once they are done feeding they go back deep. Fall is a great time to fish.

I've had luck finding them bunched up on deeper rock piles in the fall, but past that it seems to be a game of move-move-move just like RFeyo said. Also agree that's it's feast or famine with a lot more famine mixed in, though it seems like those "famine" days are ones where that one bite might be a personal best.

Don't sleep on the jerkbait in the fall...I had maybe my best day ever on Koronis in October throwing a jerkbait. I'm sure I caught over 100 with very few under 2 lbs and quite a few north of 4. My arm hurt for three days afterward!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    So....Koronis, October, Jerkbait...

Got it!

I had a day like that on a small Aitkin County lake some time back. Went out after duck hunting in the morning. Absolutely stupid frog bite! After about 4 hours of what seemed like a bite on every other cast...the boat was full of snow and I was cold as f**k! Craziest day of bass fishing ever, for me.

I'd certainly recommend trying it! They were really shallow and just destroying it. Had fished through an area throwing just about everything else and only picking up a fish here and there, whipped the jerkbait out and it got blasted on the first cast. Continued on like that for hours, including going back through and lighting them up in the area I had just fished through. If you didn't get fouled up in what was left of the vegetation hanging on, you were catching a fish.

That frog in the snow business is insane! Would've loved to have been a part of that!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34