Thread: Trim question

Trim question

I have a 1999 Triton TR-21 with a 99 225efi with a Tempest plus 25 prop. The trim will only trim the motor up so far when my RPM's are above 2000. From what I've read in the manual, that is normal but I want it to raise a little more. I have tried to adjust the trim sender on the side of the motor and nothing changed. I have only owned the boat for 2 months and have been trying to work the kinks. I adjusted the prop to pad and my RPM's were way to high 6500-6800 and all over the place so I lowered it back to where it was when I bought the boat. I replaced the tachometer this weekend and took it out to test it. At WOT it was rock solid at 5300 RPM so I feel confident that the 20 yr old tach was not accurate since it should have hit the rev limiter around 6100. I will go out this week and adjust the jack plate and and see if it made a difference. I still would like to trim the motor up a bit more to see if it will give me any more bow lift. The boat runs on pad but seems really flat. I am getting around 65mph at 5300 rpm's.

2. Member
    If you go back to the home page you can scroll down and you will see a forum for Triton boats, I bet you can get some good help there. Just a thought. Welcome to the forum.

The "trim" up limit is a safety feature and you can not and should not try to override it. It keeps the engine in a safe operating area in relation to the engines mounting structure. When not underway it will allow you to "tilt" the engine higher. Either raise the jack plate or install wedges that will add up trim permanently. Adding wedges can affect hole shot and with either you need to monitor water pressure

4. Member
    Now that I have a tachometer that I trust, I will raise the jack plate. Like I stated in my original post, I tried to set up my prop to pad at 3.75" and my RPM's were up around 6800. The motor didn't sound or feel like it was at that speed and the boat felt like it had more lift but once i saw my tach that high, I immediately backed off. I replaced the tachometer this past weekend so now I can get some real numbers. The boat has a great hole shot, but that has a lot to do with the prop being so deep in the water. It just feels like if it had just a little more trim it would lift the bow. I will adjust the jack plate again and see if it helps.

5. Member
    On an engine that old,you should make sure the trim bumpers are still there and in good shape. They are the little stainless steel squares that the trim rams contact.Look up under the swivel bracket,you’ll see them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    On an engine that old,you should make sure the trim bumpers are still there and in good shape. They are the little stainless steel squares that the trim rams contact.Look up under the swivel bracket,you’ll see them.
    I didn’t think to look at those. I guess those are the stops that you can replace with the larger trim extenders.

Quote Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
    Now that I have a tachometer that I trust, I will raise the jack plate. Like I stated in my original post, I tried to set up my prop to pad at 3.75" and my RPM's were up around 6800. The motor didn't sound or feel like it was at that speed and the boat felt like it had more lift but once i saw my tach that high, I immediately backed off. I replaced the tachometer this past weekend so now I can get some real numbers. The boat has a great hole shot, but that has a lot to do with the prop being so deep in the water. It just feels like if it had just a little more trim it would lift the bow. I will adjust the jack plate again and see if it helps.
    You have a water pressure gage———- right?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    You have a water pressure gage———- right?
    Yes, just replaced it.