options for intenet in rural area???

weve tried the satellite thingy and that was like 200/month--
    we have decent cell service but would like to be able to stream tv programs etc--and using mobile data aint working--
    ideas?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Look into cellular hotspots.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinternet/ and https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/. Your situation isn’t exactly the same, but they put a lot of effort into finding the best options.
    Last edited by CatFan; 09-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Any satellite Internet will be fairly slow due to latency. There are quite a few wireless providers popping up but that purely depends on area. I got lucky as I'm in the country and we have a tower next to us where a good local provider has an antenna array. I get 60Mb/s up and down but it's pricey - 140 per month.

too hard to answer - it will be different from place to place.
    Someone suggested Cell - which works, IF you have a good enough cell signal. (should be better after 5g goes nationwide)
    Some places have DSL - some do not
    Some places have decent satellite, some do not.

Our township recently completed a gov't grant to have "fiber optic internet to home" installed, via a partnership leveraging federal (CAF II), state grant and local township funding. It's a blessing to be able to work from home, stream TV, etc. now.
    Prior to that, we tried satellite internet (great - if it was perfectly clear sky, and you only wanted to look at one website a day), and DSL (don't get me started about throttling back access when we exceeded our download limit), and we get next to nothing for cell coverage. So I feel your pain.

A few years back, I seriously considered lobbying a cell service provider to lease some land from me and put up a big ol' cell tower in my backyard!
    Too old to produce any two-headed babies now anyway, and any internal organ fusing that may result from all those microwaves is only a few years off the back-end at this point.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Where in ga. are you.....I had to wait for several years for att to bring dsl down my street......I'm in the boonies.....I've tried the satellite systems and their data is so low you can't even think about streaming.....finally we got dsl and it's worlds different along with the price.....If you only get the internet package alone it's 50.00 a month....then you can go with any of the other streaming products that have packages much cheaper than the direct tv ..etc....as soon as my direct tv is thru the 2 year period I will get rid of it.....maybe sooner.....Hoping for fiber optics soon....

Seems to have a horrible reputation but we have been ok with viasat/exede. Over 100 a month but we got rid of cable tv and now just stream.

8. Banned
    It’s the main reason I haven’t moved to the country. I can without a lot of things, but in today’s world, high speed Unlimited internet is something I won’t be without... if I can help it.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    It’s the main reason I haven’t moved to the country. I can without a lot of things, but in today’s world, high speed Unlimited internet is something I won’t be without... if I can help it.
    I’m 22 miles from the nearest Walmart and 40 from a real grocery store. Have 25M DSL in a very backward county.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    AT&T fixed internet,we have Hughes net and wasn’t doing very good,got an email aboutAT&T fixed,checked it out and so far so good!Works off cell towers,installer comes out checks for service and if none he leaves.One year Forty or so a month,little loss with storms!

11. Member
    Wi fi hot spot from ATT works great high speed unlimited

Got the same problem at our house in Jasper, Texas. We are not full time there so not a big deal yet, and we do get some cell service. Heard 5g wireless was coming to are area, but that is probably a few years out.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’m 22 miles from the nearest Walmart and 40 from a real grocery store. Have 25M DSL in a very backward county.
    An exception to the rule. I use my mobile for a hotspot or fixed wireless from ATT.

14. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    I would drive around and ask a few neighbors.

15. Member
    rural pike county
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Where in ga. are you.....I had to wait for several years for att to bring dsl down my street......I'm in the boonies.....I've tried the satellite systems and their data is so low you can't even think about streaming.....finally we got dsl and it's worlds different along with the price.....If you only get the internet package alone it's 50.00 a month....then you can go with any of the other streaming products that have packages much cheaper than the direct tv ..etc....as soon as my direct tv is thru the 2 year period I will get rid of it.....maybe sooner.....Hoping for fiber optics soon....

We've had Wild Blue satellite internet down at the farm for about 10 years, it's expensive as hell and it's extremely slow. A while back, I started getting LTE speed data on my iPhone through Sprint so I just started using my unlimited hotspot to watch TV. It's free and its as fast as my Charter cable WiFi at home.