Thread: Which lake?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks guys. I booked a room for the week of 10/14 and the week of 10/21. If it has not turned on by 10/14 I will cancel that and go the next week. I can’t go any later than that until we get into November and by then there’s no sense in leaving my home water.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    57 / 53 ish
    was out there Thursday and Friday . Water is 67-68 .. bite really slow.. look deep nothing shallow..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

3. Member
    slowest I've ever seen it on Oneida the last two days. water was 70 when I got off tonight.

yesterday, one 3lb smallie at 7AM, not a fish the rest of the day.
    today, smallies 4lb 9oz, and 3lb 14oz, and a 3lb 2oz largemouth. Only three bites I had all day. All very shallow.

My partner landed 3lb large over the course of the two days.

4. Member
    Had the same experience as everyone this week, however I fished the same times last year and it was almost exactly the same - couple tourneys with poor weights and everyone complaining that the fishing had crashed on oneida, still managed to do ok. It'll pick up

5. Member
    Saw 72 all day yesterday. Fished ktba and we had a 4lb largemouth and a 2lb largemouth. Toughest day in 20 years I've fished the lake....and I did pretty well last year at this time when it was this tough. Just need some rain and cool weather....lake is loaded with bait out deep. Finicky old oneida she has to give ya a humbling from time to time

6. Member
    Actually just booked for the weekend of Oct 25th....hopefully there isn’t 4’ of snow by then up there

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy10 View Post
    Actually just booked for the weekend of Oct 25th....hopefully there isn’t 4’ of snow by then up there
    doubt will be 4 feet but ive seen years with over a foot on halloween.. that time of year is always a crap shoot could have a mid 70s weekend or could be a high of 30

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy10 View Post
    Up the week before you, fingers crossed on the weather.

9. Member
    My best day of smallmouth on oneida we had ski goggles on drive back to weigh in during a snow squall. Had over 21lbs and didn't even win. They like the snow haha. Sick of this warm weather and so are the smallies!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I found this website https://www.localsyr.com/weather/marine-forecast/. If you click on Oneida it says the current water temp is 71. Can anyone confirm if that is accurate?
    When I looked at this site today wind in the region is NW 10-20 MPH. The Saint Lawrence and Lake Ontario show small craft warnings but Oneida does not. Why would that be?

11. Banned
    I'm guessing that the wind speed won't or isn't expected to be 25mph on Oneida within the next 12 hrs to meet the threshold for a small craft warning.
    Take a look at the Sylvan Beach web cam though, I'll pass.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 09-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    I'm guessing that the wind speed won't or isn't expected to be 25mph on Oneida within the next 12 hrs to meet the threshold for a small craft warning.
    Take a look at the Sylvan Beach web cam though, I'll pass.
    It is also issued when seas or waves are expected to be 5 to 7 feet. The forecast on Ontario is in that range, but the Saint Lawrence and Oneida are not. I guess the better question would be why did they issue it for the Saint Lawrence.

13. Banned
    Yeah I'm not sure, if you are up by Brewerton you should be fine.

14. Member
    Yea there usually isn't small craft warnings on Oneida. I came out of south bay yesterday and the lake was brutal. I didn't last long out there.

btw I was seeing 69-70 for water temp, so that website must be pretty accurate.

15. Member
    East wind today. She's just an angry lake lately all together. Wish they would have had the cashion a few weeks later this year. With that cold rain and low overnight temps was thinking things might get going soon

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    East wind today. She's just an angry lake lately all together. Wish they would have had the cashion a few weeks later this year. With that cold rain and low overnight temps was thinking things might get going soon
    have a feeleing weights are gonna suck for the cashion, sure a handful will have good bags but overall weights will be down.. with alot struggling to get 5

17. Member
    Looks like cooler temps are in the forecast. It will be interesting to see how fast the water temperature drops.

Edit: That post was prophetic. When I looked at the water temp on https://www.localsyr.com/weather/marine-forecast/ yesterday that site said it was 71. Today it says it is 66. Since the air temperature wasn't that low overnight I wonder how often they update the info?
    Last edited by zelmo; 09-26-2019 at 06:57 AM.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Looks like cooler temps are in the forecast. It will be interesting to see how fast the water temperature drops.

Edit: That post was prophetic. When I looked at the water temp on https://www.localsyr.com/weather/marine-forecast/ yesterday that site said it was 71. Today it says it is 66. Since the air temperature wasn't that low overnight I wonder how often they update the info?
    all depends what time you look we see a 3 to 4 degree temp swing from morning to late afternoon this time of year depending on night and daytime temps. getting some cool rain so that may help a bit.

19. Member
    I hear what you are saying, but that website had showed 71 from the time I found it on 9/18 until this morning. I suspect it is not updated often. We shall see.

20. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I hear what you are saying, but that website had showed 71 from the time I found it on 9/18 until this morning. I suspect it is not updated often. We shall see.
    I suspect the same. I have a lake I fish that has a monitor out in the middle of the lake and it updates every 15 min. it proves a very useful tool I wish all lakes had that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast