Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer light issues

noticed yesterday that my tail light was out how ever had a break light and turning signal, so changed it and no luck any ideas

Wrong bulb, corrosion not allowing the tailight side of the bulb to make good contact, wire problems on the taillight wire on that side of the trailer broken or corroded wire. Use a test light to determin if you have power on the taillight circuit on that side and to isolate where the fault is.

3. Member
    What Skeeterbait said. I'm wondering if you have the old style that you take the lens off and change the bulb.Had a couple of trailers with old style tail lights. They were a PITA. As soon as I was able, I changed to the sealed type lights.

4. Member
    Test at the socket. If no power you have bad fuse.

5. Member
    these are the sealed style, checked with a test light and no luck so i am thinking a wire is broke am i thinking right?

6. Member
    I'm thinking you have a 3 wire connection at your tailight. One is for your brake light and the other is for the tail light and turn signal. Then your last wire {white} should be your ground. Start there if you do not see any obvious defects by your pigtail up front. Sometimes the connections corrode where they plug into the light assy.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If the other tail light and marker lights work, it’s probably wiring.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If the other tail light and marker lights work, it’s probably wiring.
    ^^^^x2

My truck has separate fuses for turn/brakes and taillights. I’d start there. I had a side marker that was shorted and kept blowing fuses.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassaddic View Post
    My truck has separate fuses for turn/brakes and taillights. I’d start there. I had a side marker that was shorted and kept blowing fuses.
    Normal, but all the tail lights are on one fuse, so if the fuse was blown they’d all be off.
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    90% of the time its the wiring that's in the plug , reason is the way you unplug the trailer causes the wire to break and can't see it and the right side is the most common light to go out you need to cut the plug and redo an inch or 2

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    90% of the time its the wiring that's in the plug , reason is the way you unplug the trailer causes the wire to break and can't see it and the right side is the most common light to go out you need to cut the plug and redo an inch or 2
    A problem with the plug would affect both tail lights and the marker lights, not just one tail light.
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    A large percentage of trailer light problems are ground related and are the hardest to trouble shoot.

"It's always a ground!" ....except in this case where it really can't be given that the turn signal and tail light work. I'm betting it's in the plug that fits into the light itself. I had that happen on mine. Easy fix - don't dicker around with the plug itself, just replace it. A lot of the lights come with a new plug in the pack.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    "It's always a ground!" ....except in this case where it really can't be given that the turn signal and tail light work. I'm betting it's in the plug that fits into the light itself. I had that happen on mine. Easy fix - don't dicker around with the plug itself, just replace it. A lot of the lights come with a new plug in the pack.
    Weak ground can do some strange things. It's is very possible it has enough ground to carry the load of the turn signal and brake light but not a strong enough ground to complete the loop of the tail light...weak ground is harder to troubleshoot than no ground at all because of the weird things that can happen.

16. Member
    catfan that's amazing what you say but my drivers side tail light was out everybody else lite , wiggle plug and it would work and since it's a 2019 trailer only months old , well any way I replaced the outlet in the truck figured I'd start there , and it works . so what you say is true i'm confused

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    To troubleshoot trailer lights I like to use a 12V battery with some jumper wires as my power and ground source. The reason being is I know a 12V battery has good power and ground.

from battery attach - jumper wire to white on trailer plug an leave it there.

from battery + on the battey take a jumper wire and touch the brown side of the trailer plug. All running and tail lights should come on. If one is out go to that particular light and inspect all connections and ensure the light bulb is okay.

from battery + touch the jumper wire to the yellow side of the trailer plug and ensure left turn/stop is working. If not inspect all connections and the bulb at that particular light.

from battery + touch the jumper wire to the green side of the trailer plug and ensure right turn/stop is working. If not inspect all connections and the bulb at that particular light.

If you have a blue wire on your trailer plug this is the release for the brakes when you back up in reverse. There is no need to test this if lights are your issue.

If all lights are working using a 12V battery as your power and ground then you know your vehicle is the issue.

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I was having an issue with my running lights not working and everything else was.....my son being an electrician put some grease on my trucks plug in and voila....every thing works again..... these newer trucks have separate fuses for everything....left side ,right side, turn,stop, running lights.....check them first and a little dielectric grease on the connectors will work wonders.....regular grease will work in a pinch.....

19. Member
    Ground wire. Listen to drewflu33. Any problem I've had... comes down to the ground wire

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    To troubleshoot trailer lights I like to use a 12V battery with some jumper wires as my power and ground source. The reason being is I know a 12V battery has good power and ground.

from battery attach - jumper wire to white on trailer plug an leave it there.

from battery + on the battey take a jumper wire and touch the brown side of the trailer plug. All running and tail lights should come on. If one is out go to that particular light and inspect all connections and ensure the light bulb is okay.

from battery + touch the jumper wire to the yellow side of the trailer plug and ensure left turn/stop is working. If not inspect all connections and the bulb at that particular light.

from battery + touch the jumper wire to the green side of the trailer plug and ensure right turn/stop is working. If not inspect all connections and the bulb at that particular light.

If you have a blue wire on your trailer plug this is the release for the brakes when you back up in reverse. There is no need to test this if lights are your issue.

If all lights are working using a 12V battery as your power and ground then you know your vehicle is the issue.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast