Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AVX owners: what's your tow vehicle?

which AVX do you have and what do you tow it with?

i'm planning on getting an AVX 1980 or 2080 and need a tow vehicle too. trying to get an idea of what works and what doesn't. trying to get away with the lightest vehicle that will still perform towing adequately. thanks.

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    as a rule, going is usually not an issue with most any vehicle pulling a aluminum boat. Stopping is.
    so if you are planning on using a smaller. lighter vehicle to pull. please make sure you get trailer brakes..

-Steve

3. Member
    Any modern full size or mid size truck can pull the AVX boats. Full size is better in that you don't feel it as much but it's not a heavy boat.

But I have a Tundra because to catch bass you have to haul with a Tundra.

4. bayousmallie
    I have the ford f150 4by 4.
    No problem pulling the 1980c.c.

5. Member
    would a honda pilot or toyota highlander do the job? they're both rated to tow 5,000 lbs. a pickup truck doesn't really fit our family.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21farms View Post
    would a honda pilot or toyota highlander do the job? they're both rated to tow 5,000 lbs. a pickup truck doesn't really fit our family.
    If you pull often you'll wear those vehicles out.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21farms View Post
    I tow an AVX189 with a 2017 Ridgeline. Doesn’t even know it’s there.
    Fantastic vehicle

8. Member
    As long as the boat, motor, trailer and everything inside it (batteries, fuel, tackle, rods, safety equipment, trolling motor, anchor, graphs) comes in under 5k lbs you should be ok. Get the dry weight of the boat and trailer and then start adding the weight. Adds up quick. I'd guess you'll be around 4,000-4,500 lbs by the time you're done on the 2080.

As slcark says, its not so much just the going but also the stopping. Definitely worth the trailer brakes.

I tow a Ranger RT178 (3,200lbs loaded) with a Tacoma

9. Member
    I have been pleasantly surprised how well my 2002 AWD Lexus RX300 V6 has pulled and stopped the AVX1980/G2 rig. It is rated to 3500lbs, has the factory tow package which comes with a larger radiator and a transmission cooler. It also has disk brakes on all 4 wheels, which I think is essential with any vehicle that will be towing a boat. The AVX trailer brakes work really well, and the single axle trailer pulls very easily and straight. I tend to drive 65 to 70 on long interstate trips as I usually have the cover on, but can go faster without the cover. In town it tows well and with my shorter vehicle I just have to use the mirrors when making turns to be sure of clearances. The RX has some nice big mirrors so it is easy to see each of the trailer’s wheels. I have the Trick Steps set as low as possible and they haven’t gotten in the way of the bumper on turns or while backing, but with my my wife’s taller Suburban the bumper would make contact with the Trick Steps without an extension bar on the trailer hitch.
    Last edited by Jimbug; 09-20-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

10. Member
    a dealer told me the AVX 1980 fully loaded would be 3,850 lbs.

would the standard surge brakes be enough with a honda passport?

Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post
    If you pull often you'll wear those vehicles out.
    Agree with this. Regardless of ratings etc crossovers and smaller suvs and pickups are just not truly designed for towing something of this size. Not without pulling the guts out of it. Full size truck or suv for me no questions asked.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    I pull my AVX 189 with a Honda Pilot. It does okay, but there are times that I wish I had a little more power. Granted this is a 2006 Honda Pilot with plenty of miles. I will be upgrading as soon as possible. That said I am sure that a newer Pilot would do just fine.
    2019 Vexus 189 Mercury 115 Pro XS Twin Helix 9's Minn Kota Ultrex

I pull my 1980 with an expedition. I know it is back there. Not nearly as noticeable as my 28' camper but I am still reminded when starting out or coming to quick to stop, The trailer brakes help but there is still weight pushing the rig. This would only be more magnified with a smaller SUV/Truck IMO. Not saying in anyway you need a full size SUV or truck. see above comments. But for me, that is were my comfort level is. There is a guy on another page that pulls his 1980 from his house to the ramp in a Tesla SUV. Not a long drive(couple miles) but is still successful in doing it. I wouldn't but that is me.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

14. Member
    I have a F-450 KR to pull my 2080
    DELIVERED 9/16/2019
    2020 VEXUS AVX 2080 RED
    200 HO G2
    ICON 3.5
    DUAL CONSOLE
    ULTREX 80/45 MDI I-LINK
    BOW Solix 10 MEGA 360
    Echomap Ultra 106 sv
    Panoptix Livescope System
    CONSOLE SOLIX 12
    IONIC lithium batteries

15. Member
    2000 f250 7.3 powerstroke to pull 1880avx115 merc

16. Member
    Any mid size SUV (explorer, Traverse, ect) will pull just fine. A Honda Pilot will pull just as well. If it really is a concern, go ahead and spend a little extra on a large SUV. A little more room for the family and can also tow something more if needed. Hell I towed my 18ft raycraft fiberglass boat with an explorer and it pulled fine. But since it was FWD i had to make sure to use a good launch area or it would spin some pulling the boat out. So if you go mid size make sure to get AWD or 4wd. Definitely would no go smaller than what I listed above

2018 F150 4X4 ecoboost pulls my 2080
    2019 Vexus AVX 2080
    Evinrude G2 200
    Bobs Hyd. Jackplate, Dual power poles
    Aluminum trailer, polyurea flooring

18. Member
    20190906_201354.jpg
    Chevy 1500 5.3 pulls great.
    I also just got a back up tow vehicle gmc Yukon denali
    20190825_195822.jpg
    2019 Vexus 1880, merc 115

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    as a rule, going is usually not an issue with most any vehicle pulling a aluminum boat. Stopping is.
    so if you are planning on using a smaller. lighter vehicle to pull. please make sure you get trailer brakes..

-Steve
    steve, the AVX 1980 comes with surge brakes standard...i don't see an option to add regular brakes. is that what you mean?

20. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    no - i meant the surge brakes..
    i made that remake thinking more generically. not necessarily about just Vexus.
    a lot of people think pulling the boat is defined as what by vehicle is rated for pulling, when stopping is much more important.
    some of the smaller cars are more than capable of getting a 2500lbs boat moving. but have issues slowing down the extra 2500lbs when braking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast