Question Upgrading to Elite 9 TI2...questions...

I need advice, since I’m not very experienced with bass boat electronics.

I have a 2014 Z118C with Lowrance Elite 7HDI units flush mounted at the console and bow from the factory. They are linked together with a cable. I have a thru-hull transducer in the rear bilge for 2D sonar, depth on plane, and down imaging. I also have a Lowrance thru-hull temperature sensor back there. Does great and both units read from it. My bow unit has a transducer for the 2D and down imaging mounted to the Fortrex head.

I want to upgrade to Lowrance Elite 9 TI2 units, flush mounted at the console and bow. (Bigger, touchscreen, better mapping and imaging)

For the console unit, can I connect to the existing thru-hull transducer for 2D/depth on plane, or will I have to take it out and epoxy in a new one? I’m guessing I can Y-Cable and run a 2-in-1 off the transom/jack plate for SI/DI? Can I use existing thru-hull temp sensor somehow? What would I need to also see engine data on the console unit from my 150 ProXS?

Transducer on the bow unit is easy, just mounting to the head of my Fortrex again for now. The two units will wirelessly talk, but I guess the bow unit will just pull temp from the 3-in-1 transducer that will be up front? Don’t suppose I can use existing cable that runs between my HDIs for anything?

Thanks!

BQuiz
    2020 Ranger Z518

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BQuiz View Post
    I need advice, since I’m not very experienced with bass boat electronics.

1. I have a 2014 Z118C with Lowrance Elite 7HDI units flush mounted at the console and bow from the factory. They are linked together with a cable. I have a thru-hull transducer in the rear bilge for 2D sonar, depth on plane, and down imaging. I also have a Lowrance thru-hull temperature sensor back there. Does great and both units read from it. My bow unit has a transducer for the 2D and down imaging mounted to the Fortrex head.

I want to upgrade to Lowrance Elite 9 TI2 units, flush mounted at the console and bow. (Bigger, touchscreen, better mapping and imaging)

2. For the console unit, can I connect to the existing thru-hull transducer for 2D/depth on plane, or will I have to take it out and epoxy in a new one? I’m guessing I can Y-Cable and run a 2-in-1 off the transom/jack plate for SI/DI? Can I use existing thru-hull temp sensor somehow? What would I need to also see engine data on the console unit from my 150 ProXS?

3. Transducer on the bow unit is easy, just mounting to the head of my Fortrex again for now. The two units will wirelessly talk, but I guess the bow unit will just pull temp from the 3-in-1 transducer that will be up front? Don’t suppose I can use existing cable that runs between my HDIs for anything?

Thanks!
    1. The Elite HDI is only networkable by NMEA2000 for simple data like digital depth, position etc. They can not share a transducer. Secondly, are you sure your transducer used by the console-unit is a through-hull? (And not a shoot through). If it is a through-hull that is great and explains why your downscan works, but that transducers is much more expencive and rarely used in bassboats.

2. You can use your current transducer, you just need an adapter. Yes, you can use a y-cable to combine sidescan/ downscan from a 2 in 1 at the transom with 2D from your existing transducer. Make sure you buy the bundle with Y-cable and 2 in 1, as the Y-cable is not available alone. If you temp-sensor is connected by NMEA2000 you can still use it, if it is connected to your shoot-through/ through-hull the units will not use it but take temp from the 2 in 1 instead. (Which also works well, so no real issue there.) In order to see engingedata from your Merc, you need the Mercury engine interface to connect to your NMEA2000-network. there are several such interfaces available, the most advanced beeing Mercury Link which also enables troll-controll from your Elite Ti2.

3. Yes, it will use temp from the 3 in 1 unless you have a NMEA2000-sensor for temp like mentioned in 2. The existing cable is probably NMEA2000 and yes you will reuse that for your new units.

Worth noting the NMEA 2000 network you are using is not just a cable between the two units. It’s a powered network that can have other compatible devices added to it. That’s almost certainly how the temp prob is set up. It’s not connected to the console graph, but rather the network that both graphs are also connected to. A plus for you here is your ready to add Point 1 GPS antenna. It’s no more accurate for location than the units but it has a hearing sensor so you get correct orientation of you maps even when stationary. The units calculate heading based on movement so the if you drift backwards, the boat icon points in the direction of your movement so a waypoint that appear to be to your left on the maps is actually to your right. IMO, a Point 1 is a must have, especially if you like to target off shore structure.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow