520L w/ G2 opinions

Was curious to know what the opinions are of a new 520L with a G2. How does it run? Does this hurt re-sell? Does it steer ok? I like the new Merc 4S but may have found a deal on a new 520L w/ a G2 but a little wary. Thanks in advance.
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

I cant speak about the z520l. I do have a Z518c with a 200hp G2 and it is a beast. I love mine. I'm not sure why it would hurt resale. Just drive one and you can make your decision.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

3. Member
    No regret what so ever on the four that I have had, strong hole shot, great mid range, great top end and gas mileage out of this world along with the same on oil mileage!!!

4. Member
    It will just be more difficult to sell when the time comes. But if you are getting a GREAT deal on it up front......

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’m surprised at the question about steering, because the G2 power steering is the smoothest on the market. 100% confident that a ride with a G2 will impress.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    I just built an L and discussed with a few dealers of different brands before going with ranger and the new merc (couldn’t pass up the cup package)

in the south ark / ne Texas market, both said they had tougher times selling boats with the G2 vs merc/Yamaha.
    they also are an upcharge on a new boat per the build sheet (2-3k)and like in ranger, to do the same build as the merc cup package, the G2 and upgrading everything individually became a multiple thousand difference at my dealer
    Everyone I know who has one loves it tho. If the deal is right at your dealer and they have a good evinrude mechanic I wouldn’t hesitate

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I watch the videos for the Texas Team Trail [great tournaments, btw], and have noticed quite a lot of Evinrudes in the field. It’s kind of a regional thing. Evinrude is definitely more popular here in the upper Midwest than in some parts of the country, too.

Like a lot of people, when I shopped my latest boat I considered going with a Mercury for the cost saving. But lining up all the value-added features of the G2, I decided that those items would be useful and worth the expenditure. The big warranty put it over the top. I use those extra G2 features, too, unlike a lot of the package items on our new cars and trucks. On big water like Erie, just the push-button option to switch from foot to hand throttle is worth a lot of dough. Experienced boaters who have never had the extra features offered by the G2 probably have a knee-jerk instinct not to pay more for items they’re not sure they will appreciate, or even like. The average guy buys an outboard every 10 years, if that, so changing brands can be scary. But life is short....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Love it!!! Very smooth steering, better than my dad’s new merc 4s 250... it’s also faster out of the hole and top end. My dad’s 520L gets it up to 72ish and mine is 74ish. When we lined them up for whole shot mine planes out and was ahead by 3 boat lengths. Fuel usage is the same. What the merc has is a cheaper entry price, way better sound and depending on here you live, easier to get maintenance done. 10year Warranty and 2 stroke performance did it for me. If I was ordering a boat, probably would go with merc and get more accessories with the money saved.
    2019 Ranger Z520L
    Evinrude ETEC 250 H.O. G2