Stuck water pressure gauge

A good friend has an '07 v-max 250 hpdi 2 stroke, on a ranger. His gauge is stuck at about 28, if I'm reading it correctly.
    Where should he start looking? He said he didn't see a hose/tube going to the gauge. Is it electronic?
    If you need a better pic, let me know. Cant post full size on phone.

4003-1000x700.jpeg

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    It probably froze with water in it. If that the case, it's toast and needs to be replaced. If you don't fish year round or if you fish then subject the boat to freezing temps, you need to drain the pressure and speedo tubing. I've had one freeze up on me even here in TX, so during the winter, when I get the boat out of the water, I let the motor down and let what water will, drain out the exhaust and pitot. Then when I put it up, I tilt the motor down again and store it that way. I assume it works since I haven't had a freeze up since starting that routine. I've got a buddy with a Ranger that Tee'd a drain cock into his tubing just behind the gauge, that he'll open and let the water drain.

3. Member
    No freezing weather since the previous trip, at which time, it worked.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Ah, no idea then. I'd start with removing the hose off the back of the gauge. If it doesn't return to zero, it's still toast. If it does, I'd start looking for and obstruction in the hose causing it to hold pressure (not likely)

5. Member
    He didn't find a hose going to the gauge. No extra water in the bilge either .

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    A good friend has an '07 v-max 250 hpdi 2 stroke, on a ranger. His gauge is stuck at about 28, if I'm reading it correctly.
    Where should he start looking? He said he didn't see a hose/tube going to the gauge. Is it electronic?
    If you need a better pic, let me know. Cant post full size on phone.

4003-1000x700.jpeg

Thank you in advance for your help.
    The pic below is the sensor or transducer that should be in his bilge area or setback since he has the wired water pressure gauge. The tube from the motor is connected to the top and 2 electrical wires connected at the bottom go to the gauge. It will have 45 psi stamped on it.

Might need to blow out the line if you have an air compressor. Mine was clogged up where it connects to the sensor in the setback. Just disconnect both ends, one is under the cowling on the back of the motor. Look for a brass fitting that has a black tube connected to it, the other end is connected to the top of the sensor. Wrap a towel or rag around the end going to your sensor in the bilge or setback area, blow air from the other end at the motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stuck at 28 psi? Are we talking pressure from the water pump or stuck at 28mph on the speedo? That gauge looks very large for a water pressure gauge but the pic is hard to read. Personally I have never seen upper 20's from a water pump.

8. Member
    It is a combo tach h2o pressure. Stuck at 28 psi..

9. Member
    He found it, (was under the dash, against the gunwale) got it apart and blown out.
    Now, for reconnect. Do you connect everything, if so, how does it "burp" out the air?

10. Member
    He said he "burped" the line, got clear water. When he hooked it back up, the gauge went back to 28.
    What next?

11. Member
    Id say you need a new gauge.

Bad sending unit in the transom. Call Ranger and they can sell him a new one. It probably froze up at one time. Only electrical wires going to the gauge and the gauges don't go bad often.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan