Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    I hope they clean house and hire non union workers or move to a country where people want to work for a living.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. dartag1829
    Kind of sad the top UAW officials are under indictment for Millions in dirty dealing and the members have to go on strike to get them more money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/12/uaw-...n-detroit.html

3. Banned
    My Dad was a member of the UAW for 32 years.. Notice I didn't say "Proud"... He hated leadership with a passion... The stories he told about what went on inside the GM plant he worked at were eye opening... Waste, fraud and abuse, they had it all and then some... But GM management bears some responsibility also, they knew it was going on and just keep rewarding the bad behavior... Dan

As a UAW member (not with GM) I can tell you that the BS that went on with union leadership was suspected years ago and didn't come as a shock. We'd all like to have a round with them for that. It's a disgrace.

Now onto the strike. Most likely it won't last long. It's not good for anyone long term. Most likely GM is trying to make the workers take concessions while they take in even more profits. That's the tactic they all use. For anyone that thinks they ought to just hire scabs I say go ahead...it'd be the demise of the company. Quality would be atrocious. Not everyone is replaceable.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    The workers get some the best benefits and compensation for easy work in the world and they want to go on strike. I can't imagine why GM would want to move plants. Give it time and the UAW will be a thing of the past.
    Thanos was the hero

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    Not everyone is replaceable.
    Words to die by... Everyone is replaceable... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Not at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    A new broom sweeps better every time!!

9. Banned
    This answers the bene's question.... Looks pretty good to me if you are a UAW employee... and every year yours and mine go up they are getting the equivalent of a raise. For those self employed our without company sponsored health benefits you know how big that is.

Wages range from 28 to 38 an hour (depending on what contract you were hired under) from what a google search produced (most sites agreed but not all). So... 60K min a year before OT or Bonus, 10K in profit sharing (Per Detroit Free Press/USA today). Most full time auto workers that have been on the job 8 years or more avg over 100K per year (again googled and many sources agree)

So 70K-100K+ a year and as close to full bene's as anyone has anymore.

These just don't seem like bad wages, bad bene's or bad retirement... Seems a little greedy to me. You want to make CEO money then go be a CEO (no to easy)...

All the UAW haters can easily stomp out the union. Just stop buying your union made products. But you won't because you like them.

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Everyone is replaceable, and most are replaceable by a robot.

I'm sure there are a lot more robots today than there was 20 years ago
    Thanos was the hero

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Everyone is replaceable, and most are replaceable by a robot.

I'm sure there are a lot more robots today than there was 20 years ago
    It still takes an operator to run the robot. You wouldn't know since you obviously don't work in a factory.

13. Member
    It still takes an operator to run the robot. You wouldn't know since you obviously don't work in a factory.
    one man runs 5 robots or the complete cell

14. Banned
    Not at the same time!
    Just what the air traffic controllers thought.... Dan

If you think you are NOT replaceable, you are not getting paid enough!
    Yeah, everybody is replaceable.

16. Member
    Its a global market and a global work force. I know its tempting to look at what the company is making or what the upper management is making and think I deserve some or more of that, but you had better be sure there is not someone somewhere that can do your job for a lot less then you want or you are soon to be out sourced.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

Not in the factory I work at.

Quote Originally Posted by oscardog View Post
    90k a year not including benefits?
    I call BS on that one!
    I don’t, I bet that’s close. Skilled trades guys are knocking down 150k+ with OT. They live they 7 days a week but I’m sure some make less than 90 but some make more it averages out.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    I hope they clean house and hire non union workers or move to a country where people want to work for a living.
    Sounds like a WM shopper. Buying Chinese made chit. You might get your wish someday. Not Chinese made made, but I can see you in a Yugo clone

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    What a goat rope, the article says the average UAW worker earns 90K a year not including benefits. GM raked in 35B in profits in the last three years. You know the execs are knocking down nice salaries with 11.6 Billion a year in profits. Meanwhile GM is constantly knocking 7-10K off the price of their most popular vehicle to sell them.

Hopefully both sides come to an agreement they can live with soon.
    I see both sides. The workers want their piece of the pie as well. I think $30+ an hour for non skilled work is dam good though. I work under a plant that works under a Teamsters contract. I’m an electro mechanical technician and honestly I’m not so sure the union does a ton for me. We are lumped in the same contract as the production employees and they make good money for what they have to know and perform on a daily basis. Some are good and some are just horrible employees but they all make the same wage. It doesn’t matter what someone makes they are either a good employee or a bad employee in my opinion. Pay doesn’t reflect work ethic. For those saying factory work is easy and workers are overpaid don’t work at the plant where I work. I walk 7-8 miles a day on concrete in hot dirty conditions 6 days a week all while busting my ass. We have been looking for another technician for over a year and we can’t get anybody. I haven’t found a place that pays better and we still work three traditional shifts not the weird 12 hr shifts like most factories are doing now, but the BBC crowd says we’re overpaid and the work is easy, yeah sure it’s is. Maybe some factories but not all of them.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast