Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    Interesting side note, GM transferred all health care costs to the union for the striking workers today. That's going to cost the union a pretty penny.
    All parties know that before they walk...No big surprise...Heslthcare is paid for out of the Billion dollars or so the UAW has in the strike fund....They wont have dental though but everything else stays the same...
    Do you honestly believe that the UAW doesnt plan for such contingencies...?? This isnt their first rodeo..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    These MotherF'ers are screwing up traffic...took me over an hour to get to work, 11 miles. They are blocking the entrances into the facilities which prevents cars from turning in and reduces traffic down to two lanes. F'em!
    It's illegal for strikers to block access and that was put out pretty heavily by the Union leadership...They had an incident with that at a plant here but it wasnt UAW workers but some supporters that didnt know the laws..The plant leadership cleared it up quickly and access was opened back up..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

3. Member

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    But now the union looks bad if they dont carry their members and it will cost the union money if they do. The union loves its money more than the members
    See my above comment...Theyve always covered out of the strike fund..Nothing new..
    And....as soon as this contract is over you can bet that the membership is going after the leadership in a big way for all the BS the FBI has uncovered...Going to jail may be the least of their worries..
    Zinn

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    GM will cave. Toyota is already eating their Lunch, Saw a news report that estimated the strike will cost GM 50M per day in lost productivity. I will never buy GM again, don't agree with them sending Buick to China and sending product back here to sell, just rubs me the wrong way. Toyota/Subaru/Honda for me now, can't ever see me driving a Big 3 product again.
    You should get a Subaru. That would fix everything, show them that you are a real man.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet20vee View Post
    You should get a Subaru. That would fix everything, show them that you are a real man.

Oh, I better runout and get a GM vehicle tomorrow, make a real man out of me. Wait, I have to have a Ranger and a Mercury also.

7. Banned
    The Mercury is fine. The Subaru is the tree hugger/anti everything car around here. Sorry if you missed my point.

8. Member
    The union has to at least give the appearance they are fighting for the membership to try and save face after all the scandals. They will stay out for awhile to "look tough" and in the end won't gain a whole lot. I can't imagine the union dictating to GM what plants stay open. They couldn't do it in the 80's when they had guaranteed income and the jobs bank. That was crazy unless you were part of that joke. In this climate, the union needs to count their blessings they've enjoyed so far. I think the biggest issue is the second tier worker fiasco. That's who I feel for. They need to do something about that balogna.
    As I said in an earlier post, I send prayers to the striking members and hope they can come together for an amicable relationship.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet20vee View Post
    Got one already sitting in the Driveway, (Outback) best car we've ever owned. Had a bunch of POS Ford Taurus, Ford Thunderbird, Hyundai Sonata, Ford Contour, couldn't give me another Big 3 sedan, or pickup truck. My trucks from here on will be Toyota, and cars will either be Subaru/Toyota.

Hope the Strike gets resolved though. Both sides should find common ground.

There sure is a lot of people that have never stepped foot inside a union factory that know a whole bunch about the in-outs of everything.

Of course GM dropped the insurance. That's part of the contract that expired. If this strike were to go to Thanksgiving (it won't), guess what, they ain't paying the holiday pay either.

Companies go over sees for EPA regulations more than anything. Build a plant in the USA and it's gonna cost a pile of money to make it comply with the regulations. Go ahead and build it in China and pollute as much as you want for a fraction of the cost.

Over the course of this thread I keep hearing how the jobs only take 2 days to learn. Really? Yea a lot of assembly jobs take that but not all the jobs. We have just as many machinists as assemblers. Most of the time it takes 8-12 weeks to train someone on a machining job. And another year before they can do it without asking for help.

Union feet draggers...lol. It's incentive pay based work. Yes some people will slow down still to get offered the weekend. That all goes back to supervision. It's called "impeding production ". The supervisor just has to have his facts and he can nail them on it. When you have 4 guys in a pay group(their incentive is combined work) and 1 guy is a feet dragger then it really pisses the other 3 off. There's nothing you can do about that guy being a leech other than complain to supervision. The problem is, supervision just wants the title for their paycheck but doesn't want to perform the tasks.

11. Member
    Yea let someone put an engine, or transmission together that has had 2 days to learn.

12. dartag1829
    GM offered a 2% wage increase. Picketers and UAW officials are laughing at it. They will probably get 3%. Heck I remember going years without an increase.

Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    GM offered a 2% wage increase. Picketers and UAW officials are laughing at it. They will probably get 3%. Heck I remember going years without an increase.
    My wife worked 9 years for the State without a raise before finally getting one.
    Last edited by RANGER487; 09-18-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Yea let someone put an engine, or transmission together that has had 2 days to learn.
    Pretty sure the engines and transmissions are coming from another plant or another manufacturer. I’m assuming these people are mostly assembly plant workers. People are correct in saying most operator jobs can be learned in a short amount of time. The 2 day time frame is a little extreme it’s more like weeks or months and there is a big discrepancy in good operators as well. On the skilled trade side of things it’s more like 4 years for most trades. Lots of people assume the jobs are easy and the workers are overpaid, but here’s the kicker all these places are struggling to get workers?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cneubass79 View Post
    Pretty sure the engines and transmissions are coming from another plant or another manufacturer. I’m assuming these people are mostly assembly plant workers. People are correct in saying most operator jobs can be learned in a short amount of time. The 2 day time frame is a little extreme it’s more like weeks or months and there is a big discrepancy in good operators as well. On the skilled trade side of things it’s more like 4 years for most trades. Lots of people assume the jobs are easy and the workers are overpaid, but here’s the kicker all these places are struggling to get workers?
    I have a feeling the reason they struggle for workers these days isnt because of lack of talent, it's just pure laziness and wanting something for nothing. Not union vs non union or anything like that. Just ask around, not many people want big retirements or really to prepare for later, it's all what can I get now. I'm not blaming this generation, it's our faults.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    All parties know that before they walk...No big surprise...Heslthcare is paid for out of the Billion dollars or so the UAW has in the strike fund....They wont have dental though but everything else stays the same...
    Do you honestly believe that the UAW doesnt plan for such contingencies...?? This isnt their first rodePlus the union officals continue to receiveo..
    The uaw strike fund is has set limits and once those limits are reached no more money is added to said fund. That is why after a few short weeks the union stops paying striking members. The union officials continue to receive their pay and benefits . There is a reason the contract is redone this time of year. To receive those union pittances you are supposed to "MAN'' pickett lines. The union provides "burn" barrels , signs, coffee-but they always run out before they get to you, firewood-what a joke; during one cold rainy strike, a close resident gave the strikers a garage to tear down and burn. I been through these before during 30+ yrs at GM. The workers are pawns in a hi-stake poker game and end getting shafted from both sides. One cold, rainy strike the union reps played cards in a camper while it rained on the picket line. The union builds up a "bank" of complaints against the company in advance of any strike to use as trade-off chips during this process which can amount to large amounts of money. There is much more to these events than is ever accurately reported !

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankinstick View Post
    The uaw strike fund is has set limits and once those limits are reached no more money is added to said fund. That is why after a few short weeks the union stops paying striking members. The union officials continue to receive their pay and benefits . There is a reason the contract is redone this time of year. To receive those union pittances you are supposed to "MAN'' pickett lines. The union provides "burn" barrels , signs, coffee-but they always run out before they get to you, firewood-what a joke; during one cold rainy strike, a close resident gave the strikers a garage to tear down and burn. I been through these before during 30+ yrs at GM. The workers are pawns in a hi-stake poker game and end getting shafted from both sides. One cold, rainy strike the union reps played cards in a camper while it rained on the picket line. The union builds up a "bank" of complaints against the company in advance of any strike to use as trade-off chips during this process which can amount to large amounts of money. There is much more to these events than is ever accurately reported !
    You just complained about the union. Expect a response from the BBC Union Rep
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by cneubass79 View Post
    They make the engines and transmissions as well. They're machined by them mostly and put together on an assembly line. That's the big misconception about UAW workers that they're all assembly workers. Not true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    No disrespect but I think I could learn any assembly line job in 15 minutes , maybe not putting a transmission together that works . I don't give a shit wether they strike or not , its a free county so do what you want .

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I have a feeling the reason they struggle for workers these days isnt because of lack of talent, it's just pure laziness and wanting something for nothing. Not union vs non union or anything like that. Just ask around, not many people want big retirements or really to prepare for later, it's all what can I get now. I'm not blaming this generation, it's our faults.
    I agree with what you are saying, but shouldn’t the high pay cushy do nothing Union jobs pull people away from the low paying super hard working non union jobs. There’s a reason people don’t flock to these jobs. I went from a non union to a union shop and I can tell you right now the work load increased quite a bit. I work in the trades but a lot more is expected and our workforce is smaller.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast