Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I might be wrong on this but i can't imagine anyone Union or Non Union who would be glad to see some people show up and do your job for half the wages, other than the Company.
    It was more of a dig about a non-union person doing better work.

I might be wrong on this but i can't imagine anyone Union or Non Union who would be glad to see some people show up and do your job for half the wages, other than the Company.
    Fact!

3. Banned
    I manage union workers. Their mantra is, go slow for more dough. The union spends 90% of their time protecting 10% of the workers.

4. Banned
    Interesting side note, GM transferred all health care costs to the union for the striking workers today. That's going to cost the union a pretty penny.

5. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    U A W. You are worthless. When I was in college I worked for UPS NJ. We had to join the crooked Teamsters union. All I did is pay them union dues every week. What a racket.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    Interesting side note, GM transferred all health care costs to the union for the striking workers today. That's going to cost the union a pretty penny.
    They will be telling the members that they need to sign now.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysdad View Post
    I manage union workers. Their mantra is, go slow for more dough. The union spends 90% of their time protecting 10% of the workers.
    When i went to management and i felt the workers were dragging their feet the first thing i looked at was my leadership skills.

8. Member
    Ouch. That is gonna leave a mark. That is awesome.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    GM has a big plant in my home town. Biggest bunch of cry babies around. You can tell who works or has retired from there. They have what is called the gm shuffle, it takes them 10 minutes to walk 20'.
    That's the first thing they tried to teach me when I worked on a project with a Union Workforce.

It was a right to work state and since I was only there for the summer didn't get pressured to join.

I could never learn that it made the day drag on too long.

10. Member
    To be clear, I'm not anti-union. And most of my posts have been purely out of sport...adding a few more pages to this thread.

Since I've been off at work, it appears multiple people (who, coincidentally appear to be very much pro-union) have commented that labor costs are "a drop in the bucket" or are insignificant in the overall cost of the product. A quick Google search suggests the direct labor cost hovers around 10% of the automobile.

But, and this is actually being serious, if labor costs are so insignificant, why are manufacturers building the products in other countries to ship them here for sale? If that cost was truly insignificant, they wouldn't pay to build a new factory in another country and pay to ship products back to the US. The reason is because that cost IS a significant line item.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

11. Member
    When i went to management and i felt the workers were dragging their feet the first thing i looked at was my leadership skills.
    That I have to agree with. Early on in my military career I was put in charge of some Air Reserve Technicians. I made the mistake of counseling one without their Shop Steward present...boy was that a lesson in how things worked outside the military LOL. I was sent to all kinds of training on how to manage those workers. At the time I thought what a crock of crap, I got in trouble for someone else coming in drunk. It was one of the best things that ever happened in my military career. I learned how to read contracts, it made me a much better supervisor. In the end we built a mutual respect.

12. Member
    This reminds me of that little story. A barber charges $10 for a haircut. One day another barber opens up a shop across the street and starts charging $5 for a haircut. What should the original barber do? He puts up a sign that says, “we fix $5 haircuts.”

If you are twice as productive as the guy that came in you will be compensated accordingly. However, with unions that is t the case. Good or bad you are making a he same amount of money.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Ouch. That is gonna leave a mark. That is awesome.
    they could sell their resort in mich, BLACK LAKE i think has 500 plus acres,i really never knew why it was needed in the first place

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    To be clear, I'm not anti-union. And most of my posts have been purely out of sport...adding a few more pages to this thread.

Since I've been off at work, it appears multiple people (who, coincidentally appear to be very much pro-union) have commented that labor costs are "a drop in the bucket" or are insignificant in the overall cost of the product. A quick Google search suggests the direct labor cost hovers around 10% of the automobile.

But, and this is actually being serious, if labor costs are so insignificant, why are manufacturers building the products in other countries to ship them here for sale? If that cost was truly insignificant, they wouldn't pay to build a new factory in another country and pay to ship products back to the US. The reason is because that cost IS a significant line item.
    Or it could possibly be epa and other regulations? If you like your Mexican gm, you can have it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Or it could possibly be epa and other regulations? If you like your Mexican gm, you can have it.
    Robots and screwdrivers put off a lot of emissions?
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

16. Member
    These MotherF'ers are screwing up traffic...took me over an hour to get to work, 11 miles. They are blocking the entrances into the facilities which prevents cars from turning in and reduces traffic down to two lanes. F'em!

17. Member
    GM will cave. Toyota is already eating their Lunch, Saw a news report that estimated the strike will cost GM 50M per day in lost productivity. I will never buy GM again, don't agree with them sending Buick to China and sending product back here to sell, just rubs me the wrong way. Toyota/Subaru/Honda for me now, can't ever see me driving a Big 3 product again.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    They will be telling the members that they need to sign now.
    when on strike you have no insurance duh

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    GM will cave. Toyota is already eating their Lunch, Saw a news report that estimated the strike will cost GM 50M per day in lost productivity. I will never buy GM again, don't agree with them sending Buick to China and sending product back here to sell, just rubs me the wrong way. Toyota/Subaru/Honda for me now, can't ever see me driving a Big 3 product again.
    my daughter has a 2018 Honda Pilot what a nightmare Honda and Toyota are not nearly as good since opening factories in the USA

20. Banned
    I was under the impression that benefits including insurance are paid for in advance by hours worked.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast