Thread: Chine walk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chine walk

Hey guys I need help I have a sx 200 and it walks really bad around d 68. I have a 2002 Yamaha VMax 225. can I move the Jack plate up or down to stop the chine walk ?

2. Member
    Chair Time. I had a boat that chined. Finally I got the hang of it and enjoyed driving it.

You can probably make some adjustments to help....maybe drop your plate.

3. Member
    Less trim = less walk = less speed.
    Is see this is post 1, are you new to the bass boat world, if so experience will teach you to achieve both speed and no walk.
    It's all about balancing the boat on that small rectangular pad on the rear of the hull.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Orange Basser View Post
    Chair Time. I had a boat that chined. Finally I got the hang of it and enjoyed driving it.

You can probably make some adjustments to help....maybe drop your plate.
    Agree with above except I would try raising plate first.

Still no substitute for seat time.

Try to find a wide river or lake and get to the speed and trim position where the chine walk barely starts and then start a slow gradual left turn. This preloads your steering and will give you a feel for what is needed to increase speed a little at a time until you get the knack of eliminating the chine walk. Be patient and the seat time will,pay off.

As mentioned in the Scream and Fly article; solid engine mounts make a big improvement in boat handling.
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 09-15-2019 at 04:44 PM.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Agree with above except I would try raising plate first.

Still no substitute for seat time.

Try to find a wide river or lake and get to the speed and trim position where the chine walk barely starts and then start a slow gradual left turn. This preloads your steering and will give you a feel for what is needed to increase speed a little at a time until you get the knack of eliminating the chine walk. Be patient and the seat time will,pay off.

As mentioned in the Scream and Fly article; solid engine mounts make a big improvement in boat handling.
    Why would you recommend raising his engine first if you don’t know where it is now?

8. Member
    Thought a SX 200 was only rated for 200 HP
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

9. Banned
    Nothing gets rid of chine walk other than seat time and learning how to counter act it. I say counter act because some fools like to say "drive through it", which is wrong. You can't just push past chine walk, it needs to be corrected, or it'll correct your ass straight out of the boat.

You can play with engine height all you want. You're just moving the goal posts.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree with everything above but, does this boat have a jack plate, what prop, and what is the current prop to pad measurement?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Why would you recommend raising his engine first if you don’t know where it is now?
    Because I was having the same problem with my Laser bass boat with a 2.5 200 h.p. Mercury on it. I had been in the river running it chine walking from rub rail to rub rail. Put it on the trailer intending to lower engine. A local hot shot bass boat driver walked over to me and asked me what I was doing. Long story short he suggested I raise engine. Raised engine and launched again. For the first time since I bought the boat I was able to drive it fast without chine walking. He also suggested I install solid mounts and low water pickup nose cone if I really wanted to go fast. Took his advice and never looked back.

Now tell me why you think lowering his engine will help.

By the way, the guy who helped me is Dale Carpenter and had worked for Mercury Marine in Fond du Lac and exceeded 100 mph. in a special built super light Venture bass boat so knew a thing or two about setting up a bass boat.

I've owned several bass boats that chine walked and it did take seat time and learning to bump steer. I now have a Ranger that runs close to your speed and zero chine walk. Some boats do and some dont.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

13. Member
    Some very good information.
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...my-experience/

Its about slight bumps in the steering. Your balancing the boat on the rear pad.
    I can't stress this enough, DO NOT chop the throttle when you feel your losing control. Trim down until the boat settles back on pad.
    Seat time is everything.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Start with up!
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

15. Member
    I would listen to 1holeshof. Seems closest to what I would suggest based on my experience....no substitute for proper motor height and weight distribution.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post

You can play with engine height all you want. You're just moving the goal posts.
    I disagree with this statement. I have a TR186 that had terrible chine walk at WOT. After adding a 6” Jack plate and adjusting for optimal performance I not only gained ~300 RPM but it also eliminated virtually all the chine walk. So I know for a fact it can help in some situations. It sure did in mine.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post

Its about slight bumps in the steering. Your balancing the boat on the rear pad.
    I can't stress this enough, DO NOT chop the throttle when you feel your losing control. Trim down until the boat settles back on pad.
    Seat time is everything.
    Yep, instinct is to let off throttle but I found out that's a BAD idea. Did it once and never again! I was very fortunate not to crash...

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Get her up on the pad and trim in bumps......watch the bow for the least tilt to the right (starboard) and correct with a small steering bump to port.....if it levels then bump the trim a little more then try to keep it level....if it wants to chine bump down on the trim and try again.....you really have to watch the bow.....

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post

Seat time is everything.
    Hadn't seen that write up before, that is a very good one. Thanks for posting it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

20. Member
    Are you balanced left to right? If not, you may never drive it to full potential. Put a 4' level across the deck while in the water, set up how you normally run. Now move weight around until the boat sits level.Balance is critical for reducing chine walk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast