Thread: Chine walk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It appears the OP has vanished.

2. Member
    a 200 sx was not intended to have a jackplate or a 225 hp motor on it that is why it has bad driving issues.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Are you balanced left to right? If not, you may never drive it to full potential. Put a 4' level across the deck while in the water, set up how you normally run. Now move weight around until the boat sits level.Balance is critical for reducing chine walk.
    I'm not the OP, but your comment is exactly what I'm dealing with. When I'm alone, mine definitely sits lower on the right/starboard side. I don't carry a lot of gear, yet anyway, and I'd have to move just about everything as far to the left as possible to get level I think. Part of it is I switched to two 50AH lithium batteries for the trolling motor and traded 120lbs of lead for 30 lbs of lithium iron in the aft, port battery compartment. The 191 also has one huge fuel tank in the back, no separation. I mounted the single power pole I have on the left but the pump went on the right in the aft starboard compartment with the start battery. Maybe I'll move the pump over to the port side. I have my rods on the right/starboard side, I need to try and move all my plastics and weights into the port locker rather than in the center, or move some aft on the port side if possible. But then it becomes an issue of it being a pain in the rear to have baits/terminal tackle randomly spread out on the boat. It's a pickle.

So if you can't balance it out to an ideal weight distribution, what can you do? I assume you're just limited on top end when it comes to chine interfering with things.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

4. Member
    25 pound bags of lead shot works for me. Add or subtract to offset imbalance situation.
    If I have a big guy in left seat I may put up to 3 bags of shot on the right side.

Are you balanced left to right? If not, you may never drive it to full potential. Put a 4' level across the deck while in the water, set up how you normally run. Now move weight around until the boat sits level.Balance is critical for reducing chine walk.
    I have been running bass for over forty years and every one that I have owned or set up did much better when the starboard side is about 150 lbs heavier as far back as possible. I have yet to see an exception to this, easier to control chine walk and 1 to 2 mph faster. I believe this is do to the fact of opposing rotation of the prop turning clockwise, it is trying to rotate the boat counterclockwise. Motor height, prop design and pad shape, mass weight as well trim angle are the variables that would determine the amount of weight needed.
    Just try it. It has worked well for me
    Most operators are trying to use to much trim as well, use your prop to push the boat faster rather than lifting the nose higher than needed. Most bass boats that are running a rooster tail as high as the motor are not set up right and are trimmed to high these days. The eighty's are long gone
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Agree with using the lead shot. Put the shot as far back and to the outside edge as possible. It takes less weight to balance it that way.

lpugh, you won't drive mine at 150 lbs out of balance. 50 lbs is a big deal. I run a Stroker, and although I've run it in the high 80's breaking my 300XS in at 180 out of balance (solo), it wasn't fun at all and very difficult to drive, leaning 8" at those speeds. I'm balanced for 2, so loaded to fish 90's is easy..

7. Member
    Agree with using the lead shot. Put the shot as far back and to the outside edge as possible. It takes less weight to balance it that way.

lpugh, you won't drive mine at 150 lbs out of balance. 50 lbs is a big deal. I run a Stroker, and although I've run it in the high 80's breaking my 300XS in at 180 out of balance (solo), it wasn't fun at all and very difficult to drive, leaning 8" at those speeds. I'm balanced for 2, so loaded to fish 90's is easy..
    Agree, it my boat is out of balance 150 pounds it is a hand full. I like mine just SLIGHTLY leaning to the right while setting still. When at speed I want it level. With lead shot it is easy to get it correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12