Thread: Carlisle Tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I run maxxis and they are AWESOME radial trailer tires....good year does not make Endurance in 13 in. If they did, I’d probably run those.
    i found that Carlisle’s are fine......but only for about 2 years. Then things start happening.

2. Member
    I just got a set of Maxxis ST radials for my RT188 trailer, replacing a set of original Carlisle's that were approaching 7 years old. Had no problem with them, btw. Guess I was lucky.

Discount Tire carries Maxxis, or you can get them a little cheaper from www.tires-easy.com. The tires easy is a re-seller, so you may get a set with an older manufacture date over what you can find at a tire dealer. Here is the warranty on the Maxxis tires. I believe most ST rated tires are about the same type warranty.

https://www.maxxis.com/warranty/trailer-warranty
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives

Last set of Carlisles ran me 7 years. Found a pot-crater (not to be confused with a pot-hole) on I-65 (KY) at 0300 hrs during a trip and blew a tire. Hitting the crater threw my entire rig around and didn't shock me that I ended up with a flat. Changed same and on my way. After the trip I went out to double check tire size to change out the spare that was on the ground and found the front tire on the same side had a split across the tread and another on the opposite side had an odd pattern in the tread design. I expect belts were separating.

So, I blame the highway dept - not my 7 year old tires, although I recognize they were due. I had no issue with going back with the Carlisles - HDs this time just because it was only a few bucks difference.

I don't care what ya buy - don't own tire stock. Just providing info.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Attachment 378227

Here's my Carlisle tire. Tread came off like a cheap recap. Goodyear is what I put on after the new fender was mounted.
    yep..same for me. Lost the entire tread. The trailer started to vibrate and within 2 miles it was over. Really didn’t have time to pull over. Bent my fender, put a nice black mark on my boat where the tire slapped the boat, ripped my license plate and bracket off, broke out my brake/turn light, marker light and license plate light. Replaced with Goodyear Endurance

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Attachment 378227

Here's my Carlisle tire. Tread came off like a cheap recap. Goodyear is what I put on after the new fender was mounted.
    Mine did the same.. Worst trailer tires i have ever had. Go with the good year endurance.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish4bas View Post
    Mine did the same.. Worst trailer tires i have ever had. Go with the good year endurance.
    Note OP needed a 13 inch tire. Goodyear doesn't make one. What brand would you go with? Just name a brand to "go" with, not a brand "not" to go with.

7. Member
    I think I may go with the maxxis for next season in the 13". Seem to have pretty good reviews. Anybody have any experience with them?

8. Member
    You are right. I did not see 13 inch in OP post. Chinese tires will probably be his only option.

What does OP mean? Thought it was Original Post(er)? The post #1 that I see is asking about 14" tires?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    What does OP mean? Thought it was Original Post(er)? The post #1 that I see is asking about 14" tires?
    You are indeed correct. I got my info fro the two of page two and not page one. My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    You are indeed correct. I got my info fro the two of page two and not page one. My bad!
    All is good. Just happy to learn that I am not as totally off base as I have been told

12. Member
    I had a set of Carlilse put on in Feb to haul my 200 pro xl to FL this past spring 900 miles each way. Single axle trailer, my buddy sells a couple of hundred tires per year and he has never had a problem with them. They did great, not sure what the load rating is. I also had Carlilse tires on my old single axle trailer with my Astro 1800 for 5 years. Never an issue. Since it looks like this trip was going to become a regular thing I found and bought a tandem axle Stratos trailer. This has 18 month old Goodyear Endurances on it that are D rated. It pulled nicely the 3 hour trip back from Allentown empty. Looking forward to taking it to the lake and getting the boat on it.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    I would not put Carlilses back on my boat. Two different sets, two belt separations, two fenders replaced ($2400) and one avoided wreck by luck. Chinese tires are not well made. I have no beef with the manufacturer's warranty department. Carlisle help pay for damages caused by their defective tires both times. Wish they were manufactured here in the US.
    I bought the Khumo 857 tires because guys on here were bragging about them. I ran the back highways up to Ft. Randall S.D. Curvy, blacktop, they handled great and the trailer rode great. First tire with 1200 miles the belt separated, replaced under warranty. 2 months later the same thing, replaced under warranty. 300 miles, the 3rd tire separated -- just give me the money cause im done with them. So i still have 2 of those POS on the trailer and so far they have held up. I still have the 4th tire in my shop. i might mount it for a spare

14. Member
    I have the Carlisle Trail HD tires. I put them on my dual trailer in February. I have just over 4,000 miles on them. This included two long distance trips at speeds around 70. My weekend round trips are 150 miles, half on a 4 lane and half on a old two lane road.

My trailers tracks well and I don't make a lot of tight turns and the tire wear has been even and really no tread wear. The ride very nice and hold air very well. At least I have never had to add any.

From my understanding these are newer tires, for example the photo in this thread is not the same tire. Take a look at the side wall and you will notice very quickly it's a different tire. I'm not sure of the make of Carlisle tire it is.

Bottom line if you check reviews the tire does rate very high. I will add the newer Goodyear Endurance rates very high too. So IMHO you have two very good choices. Really it depends on what name you like or country of origin and price.

15. Member
    Winner89-

I just had to replace both my goodyear marathons. I have a 01 triton tr-20 that sits on a stupid single axle trailer.

My marathons both went within 1 week of eachother. They both randomly developed bubbles and the tred started to split and chords showing.

I walked into my local walmart and bought a set of the carlisle HD tires. They have been great...seem like a great tire for the money.

16. Member
    Thanks for all the input guys! After much deliberation as to what I was going to do...I ended up going to my local tire and auto store which I trust very much and going with the trailer tire they sell. They are Gladiators...the QR25 I believe...not 100% sure on that I would have to run out and double check. I went back and forth and back and forth with a bunch of different tires until they told me about these. We have a large local lawn mowing/snow removal/pressure washing business that runs these on ALL of their trailers so I called their service manager and talked to him about these tires. He said he has ran just about every kind of trailer tire imaginable in the last 25 years and the Gladiators have been better than any of them - that was enough to sell me. Got them put on Wednesday. They are 6-ply radials and have 81mph speed rating. I got 4 new tires and had them mount the best Marathon tire I had on my trailer for my spare...out the door for $350 - feel like I got a pretty good deal. AND I was able to just tow my boat to them and they did it all right there. Towed the boat an about a 70 mile round trip ride yesterday to the lake and WOW what a difference new tires makes. Will see how they wear over time. Thanks again!
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

17. Member
    Cool, I know something as little as a trailer tire can become a project when your deciding. Glad you made your choice. Now you can get back to fishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12